Prepping for PAX

• Developer

Ahhh man this sounds awesome! 

I really like the feature of seeing how the skeletons met their fate. Will this stay in place beyond the demo? 

Definitely! It's cooler when you can ascertain those stories from the surroundings (i.e. environmental storytelling), but since a lot of things in the world of Don't Starve are transient and/or can be picked up, sticking that information into the inspect dialog seems like a good solution.

I hope skeletons caused by Shenanigans/Charlie get a few strings that don't really tell you anything, for humour's sake. "Here lies Wilson, he ran fast but not fast enough."

"This was Willow. She tried to make light of the dark but the dark made light of her."

edit: quick reply hates my enter key 

Thanks for the update Seth! Oh how I wish I were already in Portland, I'd make the trek and come see y'all for the weekend at PAX. I really like how you all did a Dark Souls thing with the skeletons and pre-built items of of other players, I've been really hoping for that in multiplayer!

• Developer

Will any game footage be recorded?

We won't be recording any ourselves--it's just not practical. But at PAX East, some of the press that came and talked to us took some footage of the game being played. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened again.

You're a GENIUS!

Klei should start Vlogging.

Why stop there.

LIVESTREAM it all!

Well, that's a fancy idea... https://twitter.com/klei/status/502546057973497857

Reporting from PAX:

My fiance and I played in the Don't Starve tourney, a very beta of the multiplayer. It was in groups of 4, all Wilsons, ~20min brackets, and all players were hit by a death wave of doggies and meteorites at the last few minutes. The tourney ended up being about how to survive that extra second longer once doom started. Crazy adrenaline fun, surviving that first bracket meant you knew what was coming and was only more scared for it.

The main multiplayer differences (from single player) I noticed:

*There is a small icon for each other player at the edge of your screen, pointing towards their direction. It is bigger if they're nearby.

*Most people gave up trying to kill each other after the first bracket - running away was too easy and we all wanted to prepare for armaggedon.

*World messages told everyone when and how a character died.

Good stuff, hoping for more soon.

I said this in another thread, but it's probably more on-topic here:

I was at PAX, and I have to say that you guys had one of the friendliest booths there.  Devs who actually take time to talk to fans about a hit game and its upcoming free multiplayer expansion?  Blown away by the demo, and blown away by how great everyone I talked to was.  

Also, I'm now working to "skill up" my lockpicking after failing miserably at the Invisible, Inc. challenge.

Keep up the great work - can't wait to play "Together."

• Developer

As I mentioned in the interview, that was a little thing we cooked up for the PAX demo that would trigger shortly before the server reset (every 2 hours). We did this so that players wouldn't just get disconnected out of the blue: instead, they'd have some panicked final moments and would tend to die and disconnect naturally before the server actually shut down. When this cut people's sessions short, we explained what was happening, that it is not part of the final game, and that they should just rejoin and start the demo again.

As I mentioned in the interview, that was a little thing we cooked up for the PAX demo that would trigger shortly before the server reset (every 2 hours). We did this so that players wouldn't just get disconnected out of the blue: instead, they'd have some panicked final moments and would tend to die and disconnect naturally before the server actually shut down. When this cut people's sessions short, we explained what was happening, that it is not part of the final game, and that they should just rejoin and start the demo again.

I was referring to when you were asked about possessing :)

Not sure how you would implement it if you guys do decide on it, but the thought of it sounds pretty interesting.

• Developer

I was referring to when you were asked about possessing :-)

Not sure how you would implement it if you guys do decide on it, but the thought of it sounds pretty interesting.

Ohhh--fair enough! Sorry for the confusion, heh. Anyways, yeah: the ability to possess objects is indeed something we've talked about, which is probably why I hesitate (or maybe just the delirium of day 4 of PAX...) but it's not something we're pursuing. Who knows, maybe down the line we will experiment with it, but for now, we've got ghost actions (i.e. a more transactional haunt) that we're reasonably happy with at this early stage.

Ohhh--fair enough! Sorry for the confusion, heh. Anyways, yeah: the ability to possess objects is indeed something we've talked about, which is probably why I hesitate (or maybe just the delirium of day 4 of PAX...) but it's not something we're pursuing. Who knows, maybe down the line we will experiment with it, but for now, we've got ghost actions (i.e. a more transactional haunt) that we're reasonably happy with at this early stage.

My bad for not making it more clear in my initial comment.

It looks like you guys definitely have the ghost thing nailed down. I particularly like how haunting does something different to different groups of things. Yet another aspect of Don't Starve that encourages and "rewards" experimenting.

The tell tale heart (not sure I wrote that correctly) is another useful item, but how would you prevent exploiting it? It seems an easy source of food if we kill a friend and res him/her immediately using the heart (apparently killed friends drop some meat). Will the heart have a durability?

Going way back to my earlier suggestion, is it something that we acquire early on and it slowly degrades, or something we can craft late game after acquiring some rare materials (thinking of ruins here).

Question about pig loialty:

If I feed him he is with me, but if someone feed him after me, he is with two of us, but if we both press ctrl+f the big just get stuck and don't know who to attack. Or if I feed him first he refuse rest of the people?

• Developer

The tell tale heart (not sure I wrote that correctly) is another useful item, but how would you prevent exploiting it? It seems an easy source of food if we kill a friend and res him/her immediately using the heart (apparently killed friends drop some meat). Will the heart have a durability?

Going way back to my earlier suggestion, is it something that we acquire early on and it slowly degrades, or something we can craft late game after acquiring some rare materials (thinking of ruins here).

The food you get from fallen players (if it stays) will definitely not be an advisable food source. The heart will also cost some resources (whether that's crafting resources or health or both is up in the air) to make/use. Additionally, it gets consumed when you give it to a ghost, so it's not exactly a zero-sum exchange.

Question about pig loialty:

If I feed him he is with me, but if someone feed him after me, he is with two of us, but if we both press ctrl+f the big just get stuck and don't know who to attack. Or if I feed him first he refuse rest of the people?

Not sure yet! Based on approximately thirty seconds of thinking, it'll be either:

1) each time a pig receives food from a new player, it resets his loyalty clock and sets his leader to the most recent feeder.

or 2) pigs will refuse food from other players if they are currently loyalty to a player.

Archived