What about if we choose the same character?

Maybe player names will show up above peoples heads. Might get in the way of speech text, but that really shouldn't be hard to fix.

Kinda meh on recolors, if Klei plans on having pretty decent size servers (aka 12 or more I think), there just wouldn't be enough distinguishable colors xD

I don't think they'll have player names, that'd be pretty meta, and break the atmosphere a bit.

They may specify certain parts of character sprites to allow colour change (Wilsons shirt, Wolfgangs bathing suit stripes, Wigfrids hair, etc.).

Of course, if Klei allows over four players, there isn't really any way to lock a character once somebody already chose it, since a new player would be unable to choose any, and quite soon any player. If Klei does not allow more than four players, they may or may not lock already chosen characters.

You are put in an arena and must fight to the death. Winner plays the character.

Nah, in all seriousness, I'm hoping there'll be some sort of marker, even if it's just a name that appears when you hover over them. Not always visible, but at least you can tell if you really need to. Even though I probably won't be playing PVP servers, I imagine part of the thrill will be coming from not knowing whether another player is someone you previously allied with or not. But I imagine the farther you get in the game, the easier it will be to tell as I highly doubt everyone's going to be constantly carrying the same things. One Willow might favour a football helmet while another likes a top hat. 

One solution is to just allow multiples of the "default" character, that being good old Wilson.

To differentiate between the Wilson's I like the colour idea (blue, red, green, yellow etc) or have our online names visible over our heads. Either works for me. When we say something text will appear above our heads and our names either fade our or appear just bellow or even above the text, seems legit to me.

Archived