Caves are impossible now. Please change!

Since ROG came out, while you are in the caves you can over-heat and freeze depending on the season. As you can´t tell the time in the caves, this makes cave exploring almost impossible. Also, it just ruins the only seasons where the weather is nice and I can explore the over-world freely, because I have to use these seasons to explore the caves instead. Also, it just doesn´t make any sense, the temperatures wouldn´t be the same in the caves as in the over-world. 

Am I the only one with this issue? 

Thats a part of RoG now. Caves are like that now so people can't turtle up down there to escape the seasonal weathers. It's actually been nerfed from what it used to be. If your well equipped, it's not much of a problem aside from less slots to carry stuff.

Thats a part of RoG now. Caves are like that now so people can't turtle up down there to escape the seasonal weathers. It's actually been nerfed from what it used to be. If your well equipped, it's not much of a problem aside from less slots to carry stuff.

I get that, but is that really a problem? The caves are hard, probably harder than surviving Winter or Summer, choosing to go down into the caves isn´t really safe in the first place. And it´s a nice to change things up, after you´ve done Winter for the third time, it´s kinda boring. It would be nice to use that time to explore the caves instead. 

I usually go in autumn. Run around with my log armor equipped and a spare, enough wood for another. Pretty much the bare minimum so I can bring back tons of stuff. I've gone in winter and spring too. Never summer.

The way I see it, caves are hard cause of the stuff you can get down there. Plus the ruins can only be accessed by the caves. Exploring down there isn't so hard if your equipped and do it smart. I explored about 90% of the ruins in one run just cause I ran for the most part. Fought a few nightmares that spawned and killed the ancient guardian but only cause of a natural choke point that wouldn't allow him to get close to me.

I see where your coming from with the weather down there tho. Just keep in mind it used to be worse. Pick your time to go (autumn) and have some fun!

Maxwell's rules. Learn to use the same tactics in the overworld in caves.

Blame the others who used it to hide from seasons in vanilla for this effect. If you still hate it, then disable RoG.

But (and I stink at caves compared to others, so let it be known if I can do it, ) it's far from impossible. Just carry lots of stone (LOTS of stone once again) and logs/Nitre. You will be making fire pits of both kinds in your journey if you dare to go exploring in a high-season! (But remember, endothermic pits don't cook food.) If you don't need some of the transplanted supplies, then make a chest and store them for the upcoming season(s.) This includes spring.  

Just suck it up. At least overheating takes longer while in a cave, and freezing takes less time. You see the little pockets of light shine down. Yes there would be weather in there. If you don't want to risk it, just go in autumn or spring, where overheating/freezing is hard to accomplish unless on purpose. Since when do you go underground when it's over 100 degrees out or under -100? Exactly. Apply that knowledge to your game. Don't get me started on worms. Because they are just fine. 

I feel the only times you should go cave exploring is in Spring and Autumn. Then, you shan't worry all too much about weather. And I believe water in caves is fine. I mean, after all runoff on the island could cause a tremendous amount of water to drip from holes on the cave roof.

Just suck it up. At least overheating takes longer while in a cave, and freezing takes less time. You see the little pockets of light shine down. Yes there would be weather in there. If you don't want to risk it, just go in autumn or spring, where overheating/freezing is hard to accomplish unless on purpose. Since when do you go underground when it's over 100 degrees out or under -100? Exactly. Apply that knowledge to your game. Don't get me started on worms. Because they are just fine. 

It just means that the only good seasons that I can use to explore the over-world I have to spend them down in the caves. This isn´t challenging, it´s just boring. 

Maxwell's rules. Learn to use the same tactics in the overworld in caves.

Blame the others who used it to hide from seasons in vanilla for this effect. If you still hate it, then disable RoG.

But (and I stink at caves compared to others, so let it be known if I can do it, ) it's far from impossible. Just carry lots of stone (LOTS of stone once again) and logs/Nitre. You will be making fire pits of both kinds in your journey if you dare to go exploring in a high-season! (But remember, endothermic pits don't cook food.) If you don't need some of the transplanted supplies, then make a chest and store them for the upcoming season(s.) This includes spring.  

But why is that a bad thing? I would love to be able change things up and skip a Winter, it´s not like the Caves are easy, it´s still a challenge. I´m just bored of Winter and I was planning on using this season to explore the caves.

Dude just go in winter. I was playing as maxwell and I only spend say 1/3 of the day there with only a thermal stone, rabbit earmuffs and a puffy vest. Summer is hell though. Again don't be down there for 2 log, just grab what u can/need and go.

It just means that the only good seasons that I can use to explore the over-world I have to spend them down in the caves. This isn´t challenging, it´s just boring. 

But why is that a bad thing? I would love to be able change things up and skip a Winter, it´s not like the Caves are easy, it´s still a challenge. I´m just bored of Winter and I was planning on using this season to explore the caves.

*Sighs*

if you can't explore winter with high-end Tier 3 items no matter where you are in the world (above or below,) including WHEN to stop by a (seasonally-appropriate) placed fire pit made at waypoint stops/use transplanted materials no matter what the season, you're not ready yet. Go hunt Deerclops for more Eyebrella materials, etc.  Later, you can plan on making a Shootius, but you're not there yet. 

I've posted it before and I'll post it again:

The concept of Caves (and later Ruins,) was an addition for the ADVANCED players to have something to do later game (and really LATE game.) If you feel you are good enough to explore caves when you first find them (or shortly thereafter,) good for you.

But saying you can't explore them when you need to do overworld stuff  is exactly the dang point!  

By the point you are SUPPOSED to be regularly exploring the caves, you've COMPLETELY explored the overworld, and transplanted EVERYTHING you need locally (Swamp Reeds and Wooden Thing excluded.)

The inability to have Winter there in the caves was (then) a limitation on the game environment. Like why Crock Pots and Drying Racks didn't rot their food. Guess what RoG does with those two? Is it "too hard" that food rots if not harvested now? Of course not! 

Later (in the non-RoG game,) Depths worms were added because Hounds didn't fit the theme, yet Klei wanted a "wave enemy" also in caves. From our own feedback. 

This ROG add-on  now resolved and rebalanced Caves  based on OUR OWN feedback Klei got from us! You can't have it both ways: Klei is famous here for their listening to our feedback and implementing what a bunch of users bring up as room for improvement.

This means making things harder or easier.

More complicated or simpler.

Even changing the ingredients of long-time crafted items (Ice Box for example.)   

So if you have problems going into caves, good, THAT'S THE POINT! 

Go back when you've set up your base and explored the entire overworld, and you have SEVERAL hundred days and SEVERAL full year seasons under your belt (and your Hound wave is 7-10 every 3-7 days, and you can handle it wherever you are in the overworld.)

By this point, you should be ready to start caving regularly. Until then, treat caving as a brief excursion, with the same rules you follow on the overworld (adding light and sanity as a permanent concern there,) Spring/Summer/Winter included. 

Again, if it's too hard, you need to work on your fundamentals.

Make a game without Reign of Giants and practice (including caving) until you've mastered your basics.

Then do it again.

Then do it again.

Bu now, you should have the fundamentals be able to handle both caving and the advanced OPTIONAL  features of RoG many of us seem to be able to do, including knowing when to explore underground....several hundred days in, so we're not worried about  anything else. 

I hope your skills do improve.

But please don't make the fallacy that because you are having problems, everybody else must.

(From the player who still sucks at caving, but knows when to go back to get better.) 

*Sighs*

if you can't explore winter with high-end Tier 3 items no matter where you are in the world (above or below,) including WHEN to stop by a (seasonally-appropriate) placed fire pit made at waypoint stops/use transplanted materials no matter what the season, you're not ready yet. Go hunt Deerclops for more Eyebrella materials, etc.  Later, you can plan on making a Shootius, but you're not there yet. 

The concept of Caves (and later Ruins,) was an addition for the ADVANCED players to have something to do later game (and really LATE game.) If you feel you are good enough to explore caves when you first find them (or shortly thereafter,) good for you.

But saying you can't explore them when you need to do overworld stuff  is exactly the dang point!  

By the point you are SUPPOSED to be regularly exploring the caves, you've COMPLETELY explored the overworld, and transplanted EVERYTHING you need locally (Swamp Reeds and Wooden Thing excluded.)

The inability to have Winter there in the caves was (then) a limitation on the game environment. Like why Crock Pots and Drying Racks didn't rot their food. Guess what RoG does with those two? Is it "too hard" that food rots if not harvested now? Of course not! 

Later (in the non-RoG game,) Depths worms were added because Hounds didn't fit the theme, yet Klei wanted a "wave enemy" also in caves. From our own feedback. 

This ROG add-on  now resolved and rebalanced Caves  based on OUR OWN feedback Klei got from us! You can't have it both ways: Klei is famous here for their listening to our feedback and implementing what a bunch of users bring up as room for improvement.

Go back when you've set up your base and explored the entire overworld, and you have SEVERAL hundred days and SEVERAL full year seasons under your belt (and your Hound wave is 7-10 every 3-7 days, and you can handle it wherever you are in the overworld.)

By this point, you should be ready to start caving regularly. Until then, treat caving as a brief excursion, with the same rules you follow on the overworld (adding light and sanity as a permanent concern there,) Spring/Summer/Winter included. 

Make a game without Reign of Giants and practice (including caving) until you've mastered your basics.

Then do it again.

Then do it again.

Bu now, you should have the fundamentals be able to handle both caving and the advanced OPTIONAL  features of RoG many of us seem to be able to do, including knowing when to explore underground....several hundred days in, so we're not worried about  anything else. 

But please don't make the fallacy that because you are having problems, everybody else must.

(From the player who still sucks at caving, but knows when to go back to get better.) 

I´m not having problems, it´s just annoying and it means, to me at least, exploring the caves is impossible. Because :

1) I´m not going to waste my good seasons on cave exploration.

2) I´m not going to explore caves when freezing is enabled, not because it´s difficult, but because it´s simply annoying, I can handle it, it´s just pain in the ass. I have a breezy vest, beefalo hat and a heat stone, it´s just annoying, I just want to explore the caves without having to worry about weather that should´t be there in the first place! It´s unrealistic! I know it sounds dumb, but it takes me out of the game. You wound´t have the same reactions to weather in a cave than on the surface.

Also, I´m bored of Winter, I just thought it would be interesting to explore the caves instead, but I guess that ain´t happening. 

Last thing I´ll say, I don´t believe this makes the game harder, I just think it gives us less options as payers to dealing with the environment. So what player avoided Winter in caves? Caves are just as hard. I don´t really see the problem here.

Just occurred to me also, that in DST this is going to be impossible, weather is going to move faster, caves are going to be unplayable. 

*Sighs*

Then do it again.

Then do it again.

You mind if I ask, as you are here, do berry bushes grow in caves? Figured I give it a shot, even though I think this mechanic is awful, and yes, I´m a cave noob.

As someone who has killed 9 ancient guardians over 3 worlds on my Wigfrid...and camped in a cave for 200+ days on my Webber in the first world.  Caves are far from "impossible".  They are challenging but speaking from experience, everything the caves/ruins can throw at you.  There is an easy way to deal with it.  

Rock Lobsters > Depth worms, Ancient Guardian, Spiders

Nightmare cycle creatures can be out run

Top hat, taffies > sanity drain

Bring Latern/mining hat with ample lightbulbs

Walking cane

And don't do long explorations during summer or winter...for obvious reasons.

This game wasn't built for a 6yo, don't expect to be coddled like one.

The key thing is to go prepared...

Technically, you can transplant any pickables, but mechanics for growing (including re-fertilization and-if applicable-sunlight) apply. If an item like a farm needs sunlight, but can be sped up using fertilizer, you can use that (including Guano) instead of sunlight.

But if something requires sunlight and can't use a substitute, then it won't grow in caves without some "light patch during the day period."  

This of course won't work in Ruins, but it's why we have Ice Boxes Crock Pots and Drying Racks for Bacon and Egg making (long term exploration; other foods are fine if you're nearby your cave base.)

However, since it requires a simple day reset (which rain lessens) transplants should work OK, including berries. However, Summer/Winter not growing/wither rules would still apply, so make sure you have lots of fertilizer. Not just manure but all kinds, including the Guano and rot. As unfair as it may be, there still is the potential for smouldering and fire-starting in Summer, so it's very important you have a Fling-omatic ready to activate should you cave in summer and be near transplanted or discovered harvestable pickables. 

To be honest, I forgot if transplanted Berry bushes worked, since I was using farm crops as my filler. I remembered an older (when it was in testing) game it worked, and I see nothing in the wiki saying it won't grow in caves. I can all but guarantee they will work as they grow in caves naturally But since they also have bananas down there (and it's also a fruit,) I was using that instead. Then again, now they are in ruins, so feel free to try transplanted bushes  and let us know if it does not work in re-fertilization.

Assume the max time to regrow and try planting it in shafts of light if it initially fails. 

Edit: Found a player who explores caves during he winter and not even using a tam. If he can do it..

(Warning he seems to use profanity like everyday words, so you have been warned if you have a language issue.) 

Or you can spend spring in caves and avoid the floods and killer bees everywhere, and use autumn to explore the overworld.

Are you saying when it's summer and winter you don't even TRY moving around? 

Not to sound mean or anything, but...

WIMP!

Summer, okay, you got me there. Because nitre and non-shriveled plants are hard to come by.

But winter? Seriously?

There are a thousand ways to get warm. It's cheap too. Just make about 2-3 star caller staffs and you have your winter troubles done. And don't complain that gems are hard to come by, because they aren't. You can get any gem you want by exiting and entering the ruins again, as it will cause all the statues to change gems.

(I mean the wimp thing in the nicest way possible, please don't hate me)

And don't complain that gems are hard to come by, because they aren't. You can get any gem you want by exiting and entering the ruins again, as it will cause all the statues to change gems.

*does a double take*

I...completely MISSED that!

I'm NEVER harvesting statues without a planned color-collecting strategy first!  

Or you can spend spring in caves and avoid the floods and killer bees everywhere, and use autumn to explore the overworld.

Are you saying when it's summer and winter you don't even TRY moving around? 

Not to sound mean or anything, but...

WIMP!

Summer, okay, you got me there. Because nitre and non-shriveled plants are hard to come by.

But winter? Seriously?

There are a thousand ways to get warm. It's cheap too. Just make about 2-3 star caller staffs and you have your winter troubles done. And don't complain that gems are hard to come by, because they aren't. You can get any gem you want by exiting and entering the ruins again, as it will cause all the statues to change gems.

(I mean the wimp thing in the nicest way possible, please don't hate me)

I am very much a Wimp unfortunately, I don´t really venture much when It´s Winter or Summer. I´m also a complete coward when it comes to giants, I just run away and hope for the best, never even fought one. 

Yeah...Maybe I should reconsider my game play.

*does a double take*

I...completely MISSED that!

I'm NEVER harvesting statues without a planned color-collecting strategy first!  

So, I went down into the caves, thought I´d let you know what happened. I lived by the way, somehow...

I dropped down to find myself surrounded by tons and tons of tier 3 Spider nests. I was playing as Webber , so they weren´t interested in me. Chester on the other hand, got annihilated. Which sucked, because Chester had all of my food, which the Spiders just devoured instantly. Yay. So I then tried to run from the horde of spider I had angered after a failed attempt of saving Chester, when I found myself with the creatures from Tremors apparently. At first, I wasn´t quite sure if they were hostile or not, they were killing off a Spider Queen at the time, but once she was dead, they drove their attention towards me. Yay. They killed me instantly. Yay. Didn´t stand a chance. Phucking yay.

Touchstone brought me back to life. I decided that my mission would be to recover everything I lost and then never ever ever go into the caves again. I went back in, I ignored the Spider Dens and went straight to recover my items. Kevin Bacon´s nightmare was still unfortunately and just as eager to kill me as ever. So like I solve all of life´s problems, I dashed around in circles while I frantically pressed space bar to pick up my items.

Once everything was collected, I was just about to climb to the surface, when I saw that the spiders had a sudden change of heart and were fighting off the horrible worm things. They killed them too, both of them! And they dropped what the wiki tells is a "Glow Berry"! Which I can use some kind of night vision goggles.

I then went up to the surface, it was night. Had half a torch, no woods, things did not go well.

I died again, another Touch Stone revived me.

As it stands, from this experience I´ve gained two Glow Berry´s, but in the process, lost two Touch Stones and my dignity in the process. 

I phucking hate caves.

Archived