Idea for Haunting/ Increasing Difficulty

I had an idea that when you start a new game on the same world after a death, the world could be haunted by your past life. This could be in the form of a ghost or 'zombie'-like representation of your old character that could act as another monster at night. Maybe the world itself could become more withered and eerie each time you die and start a new game as if it is haunted by the death of your character. This would increase the difficulty each time you started a new game, which would make sense as you become more familiar and able with the game and wanted a new challenge each time.

I don't know, maybe that is a terrible idea.

Maybe when you use meat effigies, your ghost haunts you too. Eventually trying to kill you to get its body back.

Kind of like Abigail. Each broken effigy would have a certain (low) percentage of probability to spawn a ghost at night that would haunt you until daytime.

I like where this is going.

Kind of like Abigail. Each broken effigy would have a certain (low) percentage of probability to spawn a ghost at night that would haunt you until daytime.

Meat Effigy hauntings, eh? I'm glad this is a "Wilson problem". Wendy already has all the ghosts she could ever want. :)

This is an quite good idea. If you die and you start a new game, there could be a grave a the point you died. Every night a ghost spawns at this grave or there's a precantage chance that it spawns somewhere in your range. You could sacrifice sth. like meat to calm the ghost down or you have to sacrifice sth. different for the different characters, e.g. coal for Willow, a spear for Wolfgang...

The idea of having a percantage chance of spawning a ghost for each used meat effigy is good too, so the game gets a bit harder every time you revived. If there are to many ghosts you might have to change you're camp position.

If someone doesn't want to have those ghosts.. just don't die :)

I had an idea that when you start a new game on the same world after a death, the world could be haunted by your past life. This could be in the form of a ghost or 'zombie'-like representation of your old character that could act as another monster at night. Maybe the world itself could become more withered and eerie each time you die and start a new game as if it is haunted by the death of your character. This would increase the difficulty each time you started a new game, which would make sense as you become more familiar and able with the game and wanted a new challenge each time.

I don't know, maybe that is a terrible idea.

As a longtime fan of Nethack, I support this idea. Nethack also offered better treasure around the ghost and it was an incentive to beat it/not run away as well.

In fact, I would LOVE a tombstone list. FTL has one and it's cool having your own high score list and seeing what you die by.