Best Character

I know, I know, there is no "best character". But what do you think is the best character and why? Here's my opinion on the non RoG characters (please choose best non RoG and best overall, as I don't have RoG yet (didn't pick it up during steam sale, wasn't sure I would like this game)).

Wilson: He's okay. His beard is a blessign and a curse. A blessing because it provides insulation and beard hair, but a curse because of those things as well. Should I cut it? Winter's coming soon, so maybe I should keep it... but then if I die, no meat effigy (unless I capture like 10+ rabbits, go insane, and murder them, like I have to with other chars).

Willow: I like willow the most out of the ones I have played(have not used the ones past her much but used her). She has the lighter, which is great (infinite upgrade to the torch? yes sir!). You can just equip it and walk around for a bit at night, or if you are really close to home but far enough away, you can equip it and be safe. Also, gaining insanity from fires is AMAZING. Night doesn't affect you nearly as much (you gain sanity if you stand right next to the fire pit) and in winter you have to hug the fire most of the time anyway. Good long-term pick, for sure.

WX-87: If you can find a chess biome quickly, he's good. If you're quite good at this game, he (it?) is probably the best choice, because 300 hp is delicious. But it takes a while to get up to there (chess biome has like 8 gears only, minus whatever for fridge). He doesn't care about spoilage, so he is another character that is quite good in winter. The rain damage doesn't matter TOO much in my experience as you can get an umbrella moderately fast or enough healing items that it doesn't matter. Being a lightning rod is interesting but has never happened to me. Again, probably best character for the long haul.

Wickerbottom: Seems like more geared towards the beginning of the game. As the wiki doesn't have any info on what the books are/do, and I haven't gotten far enough with her to experience firsthand, I might not be the best source on her. The auto science machine is very nice and useful,but is it really that necessary? You get it fairly early on, then you don't need it at all (Side question: Does the alchem thing totally phase out the SM, as in cover the same recipes? The wiki worded it as if it did, but I was told it didn't replace it.)

Canadian guy I forget the name of (sorry): Used him once, never again. The beaver seems like a curse (duh) and a blessing. Lucy is ofc the best axe ever, but it's offset by the fact that you cannot use it that much. Beaver mode is good, except that you don't have a map (major downside. I never got to check - does it reveal where you explored while in beaver mode?) and that you spawn right where you died. This is a really really bad thing if you die to tallbirds or another strong enemy. You just die right after spawning. Breaking rocks, trees etc really quickly is nice, along with auto shovel. Pretty good for spider nests, too. But the lucy thing is so annoying. You get a great axe and cannot use it.

Haven't used any other chars. I also only have like 10 hours and a max day of like 28 (stupid me, not checking health before fighting a large swarm of spiders...) with willow. So if I get something completely wrong, smash me in the face with the facts.

<p>Pre-RoG wickerbottom was easy mode. Even if she had no other abilities then the single book that causes everything on screen to grow she would still have been the best. Plant a lightning rod, plant twigs on one half screenful and grass on the other. (Optionally grow a few berry patches). Then plant a second lightning rod and a screenful of farms around it... the only way you could die was from leaving base. But in addition she also gets the other abilities like the science machine. Any recipe that requires a science machine to prototype can be built without it, so she can build armor very early.. and a backpack on day one. You do still need to build an alchemy machine eventually.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>After RoG... I don't know if she'd do to well. I think the inability to sleep may make summer extremely brutal.</p>

<p>I've only now just survived my first full year in RoG, but I have been starting with wilson exclusivly... the meat effigies where essential... I broke at least 3 touchstones (All I've found... although I haven't  ever explored the caves.) and 3 meat effigies already.  </p>

I'll agree with you that WX-78 is the best character to play as. His gears and being able to eat spoiled food (they kept that in right?) is perhaps the best perks in the game.

WX-78 is the best character to play in Adventure mode because he can get gears from every chess biome that spawns in each world. If you're careful, you can manage to build up a surplus of gears that can be used in pinches.

For me, a close second would be Webber, because he can eat monster meat in a pinch without penalty. It's great to have that starting out. You don't have to try so hard to get food, esp if you manage to find a lot of monster meat.

The spiders are better than the pigmen imo, because of their sheer number and easy recruitablility.

All you have to do is feed one spider in a group of them, and up to 4 or 5 spiders nearby will begin to follow you.

My favorite character is Maxwell. For both RoG and pre RoG. Gotta love that op sanity boost and his perspective. Also nice starter gear. Only downside is low hp which is not really a problem for me because I always have on a helmet and armor ready.

Definetly Wilson, no disadvantages and a magnificent beard, which makes winter far easier. I also have fond memories of the guy with the nice axe (I think his name is Woodie), because he was the first character I survived 30+ days with... (Yes I am terrible at this game). :snarlingspider:

Quotin' myself here, but this applies to singleplayer too.

EDIT: Too lazy to doink around with this before mutliplayer comes out because changes and stuff. Also, we don't have a basis for how we're ranking the characters(Which character is easiest, most efficient in combat, etc.). I kind of went by "desire to have in party", but even now I feel silly for creating a baseless list. Do what you will with it, this is moderately accurate.

Characters are listed in best to worst order:

"OP AF" tier:

WX-78: "oh baby a triple"
Still as broken as he is in singleplayer, WX brings that sweet, savory face tank everything approach to multiplayer as well. Not only is he a great distraction, but he can go for days without eating and can take the scraps of near-rotten food and make good use of it. Also he's a walking lightning rod which when charged gives him night-light capabilities as well as speed that would put Usaine Bolt to shame.

"WX-78 Is Taken" tier:

Wickerbottom: "Gotta farm fast"
Helps the gang out by having recipes from the get-go as well as to more advanced crafting without secondary recipe stations. Her books are also fantastic for quick development of food, traps and structures as well as easy access to not-so-easy to access resources.

Webber: "Spiders ain't no problem"
The ability to farm spider glands, silk and monster meat easily is definitely a plus, but the biggest upside is his ability to control them. Some situation just can't be facetanked (Unless you're WX), and you need numbers on your side. Spiders are always available (unlike pigs or bunnies, for example), and are easier to relocate and multiply (unlike beefalo). One final bonus is his ability to navigate spider-infested areas with no penalty, whether it be for a scouting mission or a sneak attack.

Woodie: "Second only to Bearger"
The king of manual labour, Woodie holds his slot in this tier. He can survive for indefinite periods of time without any materials other than an axe and a steady supply of trees while at the same time harvesting any number of resources and taking on hordes of foes. I won't say much more about our favourite lumberjack as I'm not exactly sure how the transformation mechanics and the like will function in multiplayer, but if they aren't changed around too much he could easily take the throne from WX-78.

"I can't kite so good" tier:

Wigfrid: "Giants? Where?"
Dude, you can facetank everything. Crockpots make the "only eat meat" aspect a joke.

Wolfgang: "I am mighty! Only WX and Wigfrid are mightier!"

Can go for long-ish periods of time without food, also has a nice damage multiplier with a full belly. Just don't let him into his (starvation) zone.

"Meh" tier:

Everyone else

"BALLOON PARTIES" TIER:

WES: ""
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I think Wilson is the best because he don't have much weakness like others and also his much beautiful than others. :juggling:

I think Wilson is the best because he don't have much weakness like others and also he is  much beautiful than others. :juggling:

I think the best one is Willow.I think it fits my playstyle best,as I love to explore,and her fabulous lantern is made just for that!In my early days in Willow worlds,I build my first bonfire on day 8.Until then,I explore,that's why around day 15 I already have a well-built stone walls base,a berry farm, an actual farm,a freezer, crook pot,firepit,a pig army trapped with a chest next to it with monster meat that I feed them with,and,also I am fully prepared for winter.Yay for fire.

... I would hestitate to call any character objectively, "the best" however - they do range in terms of difficulty.

I find WX-78 to be the easiest character to play. (Especially when transitioning from an Old Sandbox world to a New)

His upside is he has the best stat block in the game when upgraded, and can leave food until it's red-level of spoiled, making his ballooned hunger stat EVEN MORE RIDICULOUS!

His only downside is he takes damage in rain! Which gives you a chance to be struck by lightning! Which boosts your speed, gives you a light aura, and keeps your temperature from changing! If you can manage water even slightly, he is by far the simplest and best to play.

Though my favorite characters are Wigfrid and Woodie. I like them the best, because their gathering mechanics are different from other characters, you really feel like you're playing as someone else.

Woodie's Axe speed is also impossible to not love. He can chop the amount other characters can in like an 1/8th of the time, curse or not. You just have to listen to Lucy when she's telling you to slow down, but you can easily have 40-80 logs by day 3 if you're dedicated to CHOPPING stuff and making sure to never go into the curse.

... I would hestitate to call any character objectively, "the best" however - they do range in terms of difficulty.

I find WX-78 to be the easiest character to play. (Especially when transitioning from an Old Sandbox world to a New)

His upside is he has the best stat block in the game when upgraded, and can leave food until it's red-level of spoiled, making his ballooned hunger stat EVEN MORE RIDICULOUS!

His only downside is he takes damage in rain! Which gives you a chance to be struck by lightning! Which boosts your speed, gives you a light aura, and keeps your temperature from changing! If you can manage water even slightly, he is by far the simplest and best to play.

Though my favorite characters are Wigfrid and Woodie. I like them the best, because their gathering mechanics are different from other characters, you really feel like you're playing as someone else.

Woodie's Axe speed is also impossible to not love. He can chop the amount other characters can in like an 1/8th of the time, curse or not. You just have to listen to Lucy when she's telling you to slow down, but you can easily have 40-80 logs by day 3 if you're dedicated to CHOPPING stuff and making sure to never go into the curse.

I like Woody too!His dark secret got me like "All that's holy and good on Earth!What was that?"

Archived