A couple suggestions for DST

And yes, I am now a supporter of DST.  But that's beside the point.  This is just a compilation of what I think DST needs, and what it should leave out.

-No death messages.

I know this has already been said a lot, but it's still a really good idea.  Imagine - your friend goes out alone to get some flint and gold, but gets killed by a tallbird - unbeknowst to you.  You wait for him to get back, but after almost a whole day goes by, you grab your cane and run over to the stony field.  And there, you find...

...HIS CORPSE!

*dun dun dun*

-Chat appears above the character's head

This has also been said alot; but again, still a really good idea.  This also ties in with the "no death messages" thing.  In DST, nobody can hear you scream (if they're off-screen.)  That, and no annoying chatbar taking up half the screen filled with people spouting foul language.

-Sort-of raid bosses

It doesn't really fit, and Don't Starve isn't a combat based game, but still wouldn't it be epic to get a group together, don your ancient armor and go battle an enormous Frankenstein-style mashup of all the giants (or something like that)?  Of course, it would have to be balanced for a permadeath game.  Maybe have it be weaker than your standard one-shot-you-die raid boss, or have the loot be ridiculously good.  I don't know how it would be executed, but it would still be really awesome.

-Tougher difficulty

With a shorter day, stronger monsters and brutal weather, people will probably edge more to working together rather than spending the whole time cutting eachother's hearts out.  That and they'll probably want to hone their skills in singleplayer, so that gamemode isn't completely forgotten.

-Cannibalism

Mmm, Wilson.  Tastes like science.

Probably more to come when I feel like typing more.

-Cannibalism

You have my seal of approval.

I would love it if the characters remark that the flesh tastes like a mixture of veal and tuna.

Mind if I add a few suggestions of my own?

And yes, I am now a supporter of DST.  But that's beside the point.  This is just a compilation of what I think DST needs, and what it should leave out.

-No death messages.

I know this has already been said a lot, but it's still a really good idea.  Imagine - your friend goes out alone to get some flint and gold, but gets killed by a tallbird - unbeknowst to you.  You wait for him to get back, but after almost a whole day goes by, you grab your cane and run over to the stony field.  And there, you find...

...HIS CORPSE!

*dun dun dun*

This has also been said alot; but again, still a really good idea.  This also ties in with the "no death messages" thing.  In DST, nobody can hear you scream (if they're off-screen.)  That, and no annoying chatbar taking up half the screen filled with people spouting foul language.

-Sort-of raid bosses

It doesn't really fit, and Don't Starve isn't a combat based game, but still wouldn't it be epic to get a group together, don your ancient armor and go battle an enormous Frankenstein-style mashup of all the giants (or something like that)?  Of course, it would have to be balanced for a permadeath game.  Maybe have it be weaker than your standard one-shot-you-die raid boss, or have the loot be ridiculously good.  I don't know how it would be executed, but it would still be really awesome.

-Tougher difficulty

With a shorter day, stronger monsters and brutal weather, people will probably edge more to working together rather than spending the whole time cutting eachother's hearts out.  That and they'll probably want to hone their skills in singleplayer, so that gamemode isn't completely forgotten.

-Cannibalism

I agree with all of your points.  If people don't agree with server messages than they can follow their friend everywhere and not make sure they die.  I do think there should be a cause of death.  Like you can examine their corpse  and it tells you what killed them.  (so you can take revenge.)  I REALLY like the cannibal idea too.

I will never touch this game again as soon as cannibalism is added. Since the only reason people want it is purely arbitray, there is no reason for it anyway.

But don't starve is a survival game.  People do whatever they can to survive, which includes eating your dead friends.  I would gladly give my life for my friends. ( @Ellis2525 you can kill me and eat me.)  If you have people who would kill you to eat you, than maybe you should kill them first or try to get better people.

But don't starve is a survival game.  People do whatever they can to survive, which includes eating your dead friends.  I would gladly give my life for my friends. ( @Ellis2525 you can kill me and eat me.)  If you have people who would kill you to eat you, than maybe you should kill them first or try to get better people.

Then I should also be able to eat my arm instead of starve. Or kill myself when hungry near a meat effigy.

That would make sense but I would still hate it. Don't Starve is a spooky dark game, not a gorey dark game. Just because its a survival game doesn't mean its good for the game to start featuring cannibalism.

As for the PvP aspect, I have never had a good PvP experince. Normally I befriend one person, then the server starts becoming pacified, then someone joins the server and slaughters everyone while we were having friendly discussions and minding our own buinsess. I am not going to play PvP, so there is no need for my teammates to kill me. The cannibalism mechanic would not enhance PvP in anyway. Eventually people would become desensitized so we have this boring mechanic that makes potential costumers feel uncomfortable.

The ability to eat dead little girls is not a selling point.

I will never touch this game again as soon as cannibalism is added. Since the only reason people want it is purely arbitray, there is no reason for it anyway.

Yeah I kinda have to agree, id still play but wow THAT IS MORBID and very disturbing to me. Makes my stomach churn just thinking about it. As soon as that gets added Klei potentially loses a lot of their playerbase (since, you have to admit a lot of young children play, you dont want a bunch of angry parents petitioning Klei because little Timmy ate his friend do you?)

....so no it does not seem like a good idea.

The other thing I disagree with is tougher difficulty right off the bat, let that be changed in the world gen settings like it always has.

I think the most important thing for DST is to have an easily craftable item that prevents anything from being intentionally set on fire in an area.

Perplexing Heat Vacuum - Science or Magic Tab, 1 ash, 1 charcoal, 1 log, 1 gold to craft.

This item prevents anything from being set on fire (either directly or through chain reactions) by a player (the own player included) in a radius similar to the lightning rod.

Lightning/overheating/firehounds can still start fires, and players can still add fuel to a fire or build a campsite. 

By making it a Magic tab item it fits better into the game in that it doesnt follow the laws of physics, but having it in the Science tab makes it available earlier, so there is less of a window when you are vulnerable to an enemy with just a torch.

This is good for both direct PvP, indirect PvP, or co-op to avoid griefing.

I also think a great game mode would be PvP where you can't directly hurt each other, but the aim is to survive the longest. Obviously you could go the normal route, OR you could indirectly sabotage the others attempts to live.

Pick their berries before they do, kill off their beefalo herd, plant beehives and spider nests in their base etc. 

Maybe allow a player to deconstruct an enemies bases, but I think it would be a better game mode if you couldn't. In order to keep the game making sense, maybe another item similar to the "Perplexing Heat Vacuum" I suggested above that could prevent this. Both of those items should be available in order to make the game mode far more fun than 'lets destroy everything they ever do'.

I would love to see the possiblities of this type of PvP (as well as the more straight up killing each other or uneasy alliances made when you can still backstab each other with PvP fire enabled).

I think the map should be smaller, so that you run into each other a bit more.

Two of the most Important things in DST should be the opportunity to config (if you host) the way you like, so everyone can have his "own" way. The other thing should be Mod support.

Some of your Stuff sounds interesting, other things sounds good to me, but all of that should be optional(besides of Cannibalism...sorry but that´s really creepy, i mean - where i live, the game is rated for 12, so kids can play that Game too, and thats nothing a kid should can do)

And sorry for my English. Isn`t my native Language!

-No death messages.

...HIS CORPSE!

*dun dun dun*

You forgot something. It`s a PC Game. The most of People who play that Game (espacially friends) will use Teamspeak or Skype or something like that.

I also think a great game mode would be PvP where you can't directly hurt each other, but the aim is to survive the longest. Obviously you could go the normal route, OR you could indirectly sabotage the others attempts to live.

Pick their berries before they do, kill off their beefalo herd, plant beehives and spider nests in their base etc. 

Maybe allow a player to deconstruct an enemies bases, but I think it would be a better game mode if you couldn't. In order to keep the game making sense, maybe another item similar to the "Perplexing Heat Vacuum" I suggested above that could prevent this. Both of those items should be available in order to make the game mode far more fun than 'lets destroy everything they ever do'.

I would love to see the possiblities of this type of PvP (as well as the more straight up killing each other or uneasy alliances made when you can still backstab each other with PvP fire enabled).

I think the map should be smaller, so that you run into each other a bit more.

That would be so funny ! Imagine that : you're sitting near your campfire, at night, and suddenly, a guy with moggles comes and extinguishes your fire with ice !

Oh, btw, NO INCREASED DIFFICULTY.

Then I should also be able to eat my arm instead of starve. Or kill myself when hungry near a meat effigy.

That would make sense but I would still hate it. Don't Starve is a spooky dark game, not a gorey dark game. Just because its a survival game doesn't mean its good for the game to start featuring cannibalism.

As for the PvP aspect, I have never had a good PvP experience. Normally I befriend one person, then the server starts becoming pacified, then someone joins the server and slaughters everyone while we were having friendly discussions and minding our own business. I am not going to play PvP, so there is no need for my teammates to kill me. The cannibalism mechanic would not enhance PvP in anyway. Eventually people would become desensitized so we have this boring mechanic that makes potential costumers feel uncomfortable.

The ability to eat dead little girls is not a selling point.

Yeah you should be able to.  Im pretty sure that it won't have an animation for eating people.  It might be someone dying and they drop human flesh or strange meat.  Having the choice to eat the friends does not mean you always have to eat them.  It is your choice, to be good or evil (Or just really frickin desperate.) in the game. Also people will always try to kill you in PVP.  I don't know if DST will have public games. (I am pretty sure though that they will have it.)  They will have private servers,  so why not get some of your pals (that will not try to eat you.) and play with them.  No matter what you do in public games, people will try to kill you.  Even for no reason.  You could have gave them food and they would still kill you.  Anywaysssssssssssss  it will probably have a human flesh drop. 

People might want it to be added for arbitrary reasons, but you have to believe that if Klei adds it, their reasoning won't be arbitrary.

*-No death messages./-Chat appears above the character's head*

The least amount of additions to the UI, the better.  For the sake of immersion.

*-Sort-of raid bosses*

Feel like these would be accessible through portals.  Similar to adventure mode and the Maxwell boss mod.  

I would enjoy more stuff like that.

*-Cannibalism*

It's all about how they implement it and the game already has some questionable, yet well handled stuff. 

There is no need to make a mountain out of a molehill.  

I starve often. No joke. But if I find some corpse, I'm going to eat it. Cannibalism is a great idea for Don't Starve. It's a pretty macabre game anyway. And maybe, maybe my ally as outlived their usefulness, and I'm pretty hungry, and they're going to die soon anyway...

Anyway, I agree with all points made in the OP.

I starve often. No joke. But if I find some corpse, I'm going to eat it. Cannibalism is a great idea for Don't Starve. It's a pretty macabre game anyway. And maybe, maybe my ally as outlived their usefulness, and I'm pretty hungry, and they're going to die soon anyway...

Anyway, I agree with all points made in the OP.

I googled macabre and got this: disturbing and horrifying because of involvement with or depiction of death and injury.

This game is not horrifying and the death/injury is very toned down. This game is closer to spooky then horrifying.

As far as disturbing, its not going to be on par with anything in comparison to thinks like Courage the Cowardly Dog; and I can't remember there being once instance of cannibalism in that show.

I don't think there is any good reason for cannibalism to be in don't starve. As Seth said, he likes to think about it in a "What if" scenario. However real implementation could cause problems with things like ratings.

I googled macabre and got this: disturbing and horrifying because of involvement with or depiction of death and injury.

This game is not horrifying and the death/injury is very toned down. This game is closer to spooky then horrifying.

As far as disturbing, its not going to be on par with anything in comparison to thinks like Courage the Cowardly Dog; and I can't remember there being once instance of cannibalism in that show.

I don't think there is any good reason for cannibalism to be in don't starve. As Seth said, he likes to think about it in a "What if" scenario. However real implementation could cause problems with things like ratings.

I said SOMEWHAT macabre. The real definition of macabre is having to do with death, and really just dark and somewhat grim. When you think macabre, think Edgar Allan Poe. By the way, if you seriously have to google macabre, you sir, are an idiot. Anyway, back on topic, cannibalism is in plenty of games. There's human meat in Skyrim, as well as many other games, such as the Fable series and the Fallout series.

I said SOMEWHAT macabre. The real definition of macabre is having to do with death, and really just dark and somewhat grim. When you think macabre, think Edgar Allan Poe. By the way, if you seriously have to google macabre, you sir, are an idiot. Anyway, back on topic, cannibalism is in plenty of games. There's human meat in Skyrim, as well as many other games, such as the Fable series and the Fallout series.

Thing is difference between those games and Don't Starve, is that all those games are rated M

No, idiotic would have been telling you that the game isn't macabre if I didn't know what it meant. Do not insult me because of a difference in opinions.

I personally think difficulty should remain the same. It will be difficult enough dividing the usual amount of resources among your peers, much less fighting a giant with double its normal health. I think that would cause it to become more tedious than a "challenge" or something adaptable to play-style. In fact, people realizing that mobs are easier to deal with together will be enough incentive for cooperation.

Archived