Multiplayer: Punishment for hackers/cheaters

If there's multiplayer, there will be hackers and cheaters as well. I don't know which anticheat system you'll use but there should be serious punishments for them because it really kills the multiplayer games. I say it should be 2 warnings before perma banned. First warning should ban the player/serial number for a week, second warning should ban for a month then perma ban for good(need to buy new game).

Ed: Some people are having hard time reading the thread so here's the summary;

This is not about freaking private servers.

i mean, if you're going to pplay with a friend and see it's a cheater, don't play with him...

edit: And if a hacker control your computer to force you seeing him playing with cheats, turn it off...(if it's what you're talking about, hacker/cheater)

I wouldn't be surprised if there's no anticheating system. and I wouldn't really care either. but if there was, having three strikes for altering the game code or whatever, is silly. If you're actually hacking (like something that would, in normal cases, result in a VAC ban), then it should be one strike. However, if mods are allowed, and the host is fine with it, then that's not cheating...even if it's someone running around at breakneck speed (which I do actually think is a mod).

Will it be like Terraria or Minecraft? I always think like minecraft.

I don't know how Terraria handles banning. I'm pretty sure they don't do anything. but Minecraft doesn't have Mojang-hosted servers as far as I know. Anyway, like i said, if anything, it'll probably be manually done. That's how many indie companies handle it.

Send them to the Wall.

But really, this is a DRM free game. Banning game keys or otherwise affecting the ability of any player to play the game (in either of single or multiplayer) would be absurd. Each player who bought the game owns the game as their property, anything done to prevent the player's access to this property would be a huge violation.

To each server, its own. If a server wants to issue temporary or permanent IP bans based on whatever, go ahead. If Klei does indeed decide to host public servers, they could make ban decisions on a per server basis, as private servers would, but that's it; having Klei by an overseeing authority regulating what happens on any server would be silly.

The answer= Private servers!

Exactly this. I believe it's our own responsibility to pick who and how we play with other people.

Public servers will probably be quite desolate if hackers/cheaters are left to freely roam though.

Exactly this. I believe it's our own responsibility to pick who and how we play with other people.

Public servers will probably be quite desolate if hackers/cheaters are left to freely roam though.

Yea =D If I go into a public server, I expect hackers because every game is like that. Half the time, I go into public servers just to see what hackers are up to and maybe get some free gear XD When I play "Together" I'll just ask peeps on the forum to come join my private game (None of my IRL friends like Don't Starve D=) 

If they are cheating, report them.  Obviously they will have a report system, and ways of investigating hackers.  Then they will get perma band.  Also why not just get a private server.  You can play with friends,  have more fun, and most importantly NOT GET HACKERS AND CHEATERS.  Even if your friend is one of those, there is a small chance you could convince them by saying. "Hey, lets just have fun and play this fair, ok.  Come on lets go punch that deerclops."

?

shooosh, your both not a hacker. *pats your head*

If they are cheating, report them.  Obviously they will have a report system, and ways of investigating hackers.  Then they will get perma band.  Also why not just get a private server.  You can play with friends,  have more fun, and most importantly NOT GET HACKERS AND CHEATERS.  Even if your friend is one of those, there is a small chance you could convince them by saying. "Hey, lets just have fun and play this fair, ok.  Come on lets go punch that deerclops."

shooosh, your both not a hacker. *pats your head*

Hahaah!"The power in this box is unimaginable."

Serious question guys. I don't play public multiplayer games, so I don't understand the concerns about  "hacking" and "cheating". All that comes to mind is an over-abundance of mods and/or console commands. Is that what you're referring to, or something else?

No no no no no no nonononono nooooooooo. @emerxtreme

You have ENTIRELY the wrong idea about what multiplayer will be like. This is not WoW. This is not Rust. This is not DayZ. This is not a MMO at all. Don't Starve Multiplayer shouldn't even have public servers. It should just be private servers where you can play with your trusted friends. 

Serious question guys. I don't play public multiplayer games, so I don't understand the concerns about  "hacking" and "cheating". All that comes to mind is an over-abundance of mods and/or console commands. Is that what you're referring to, or something else?

That's pretty much all there is, or the equivalent of.

Archived