SUMMER IS TOO HARSH!

Seriously,

I'm wearing a straw hat... to protect against the sun

I'm wearing a summer frest...to stay cool

I'm carying a umbrella or a parasol... to protect against the sun

I'm standing under a tree... to protect against the sun

AND I'M STILL OVERHEATING AND LOOSING HEALTH!

What the fork do i have to do to stay cool!? There is no ice left anywhere.

btw i died soon after this screenshot, i was losing 1 health per second.

obzgqD9.jpg

Thermal stone in an ice box, then carry it. Fashion melon hat. All of the items you are using in the pic slow down the time it takes to overheat, certain other items actually cool you down.

Pre-Mine ice and store it in a ice box.

make sure you have enough Nitre make enough endothermic fires (Or just have a endothermic fire pit. i suggest putting in a regular and endothermic fire pits in your camp)

to get through the summer.

Seriously,

obzgqD9.jpg

The problem is that besides standing under a tree (which can lower your temperature a bit, temporarily), all the clothing you are using give you heat insulation. That means they do not cool you down, they just make it so it takes longer for you to overheat.

Once you start overheating, you need to cool down. The easiest way to do so is endothermic fire or firepit, which are both kind of easy to build. Since you don't want to get stuck around your fire pit for the whole summer, you need to store cold with a thermal stone by either holding it while standing near an endothermic fire or by placing it inside an ice box. If you carry it around with all the clothing you have, you will be able to explore for at least a full day. By the way, you get heat inulation bonus at dusk, at night, and inside caves, which will make it even longer before you start overheating.

If your thermal stone gets too hot, even with all the equipment you have, you will start overheating and be back to where you started. You will need to cool it down.

There are alternate methods of cooling down: wearing an icecube or a melonhat (both of which makes you wet), eating ice or eating some special food made with a crockpot (e.g. melonsicle or ice cream), and using a fan (made from the spring giant feathers).

Tips:

1) Pre build an endothermic fire AND firepit for when you go out exploring. If you ever get caugth far from your camp without nitre and start overheating, that could save your life.

2) Once summer starts, go in the desert and pick up some cactus flowers to make a floral shirt. That will give you a tremendous amount of heat insulation. It lasts 15 days, and summer length on default setting is 15 days. You can basically make one each summer and you'll do more than fine!

3) Make 2 thermal stones, one to carry around and one that you will let inside the icebox so you can quickly cool down if your thermal stone gets too hot.

4) What I personally do it to leave an icecube in the icebox and use it only as an emergency cooling method. You can carry it around in an insulated pack or inside snow chester (it will thus last longer before melting) and wearing it for a couple of seconds until you cool down when you start overheating. Then, put it back inside pack/chester and keep exploring!

5) If you are really desperate and have some ice leftovers in an icebox, you can eat a couple of them to cool down your temperature if needed.

Hope that helps!

The Ice Cube hat was nerfed pretty badly. Now you get very wet and thus very insane very quickly when wearing it.

I like using the Eyebrella, Umbrella, and two Thermal Stones. It's barely enough.

I would wear a Summer frest, but I don't like giving up my backpack.

Thanks for the tips guys.

But isn't nitre a finite source? Once the rocks are mined, they don't come back. I supose i could could dig up moleworm burrows and find some nitre here and there but will that be enough? Or do i only need the nitre to start a endothermic fire and then use wood to keep the fire going?

But isn't nitre a finite source? Once the rocks are mined, they don't come back. I supose i could could dig up moleworm burrows and find some nitre here and there but will that be enough? Or do i only need the nitre to start a endothermic fire and then use wood to keep the fire going?

Nope, Earthquakes in Caves make it slowly renewable. Boulders won't come back, but Earthqiakes are a good thing, that can be caused by igniting Gunpowder or Slurtle Slime in caves.

That's the idea behind the Endothermic Fire Pit, you won't need to get fresh nitre every time you need to cool down. As there's a temporary campfire and a permanent fire pit, there are endothermic equivalents. Also, nitre is renewable if you duck inside the caves every once in a while.

Or do i only need the nitre to start a endothermic fire and then use wood to keep the fire going?

Simply put, yes, you can use wood or other flammables to keep the fire going.  You can also use flammables to start  (not create) an endothermic fire PIT.

Seriously,

obzgqD9.jpg

Use Endothermic Fire Pit

I agree completely with OP. Summer is far too harsh. It leaves a second huge void in the ability to produce thru the year. Spring and Autumn are the only times gathering/growing/hunting/etc is even feasible.

I grumbled in Winter, 'cause winter is hard (mumble grumble). But, summer is too much.

I've stopped playing Don't Starve because of it. It makes me sad, but there it is Klei.

I agree completely with OP. Summer is far too harsh. It leaves a second huge void in the ability to produce thru the year. Spring and Autumn are the only times gathering/growing/hunting/etc is even feasible.

I grumbled in Winter, 'cause winter is hard (mumble grumble). But, summer is too much.

I've stopped playing Don't Starve because of it. It makes me sad, but there it is Klei.

You can remove summer via the world customization screen.

My "tutorial" on what I do during Summer may help --> http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/36842-summer-survival-for-starving-people/

This is What I have done repeatedly, and I have survived two Summers because of this strategy. It, of course, is not for everyone, but I hope it helps.

Archived