Reign of Giants make this game worse

I am playing this game since early beta and i love every single part of it. But now, this DLC make game almost unplayable for me. Two words - Rain and Overheat. I want be able to disable this bull#X#! and every single part affecting the gameplay like randomly burning structures, items getting wet (and affecting my sanity), food spoiling on rain etc. It was fine before! Raining? Little sanity loss. Summer? Safe time, prepare to winter. It was fine.
Now its more like run, run, run, run, run to get items you need for rain, summer, winter all the time. Oh, and dont forget to run, run, run, run, run, you cant do nothing anytime, becouse you will DIEEEEE.... And its not fun for me anymore.

To this point i was happy with every big change in game - winter,  caves, sanity, adventure; becouse it was well balanced.I can live with preparation to winter, but i want explore world a little bit too. In summer i want to be happy and free for a while.
PLEASE, make option to turn off overheat and new "rain". :/

And no, i dont want turn off rain entirely, i like rain in game, but not with new effects. And no, i dont want turn off DLC, a want experience (AND I SHUD BE ABLE TO DO THAT!) new items, monsters and all new content without those annoying gameplay changes.

Oh, and one more thing - why all rabbit holes collapsing after winter? It make no sense. What? All rabbits will die underground without player making holes? Come on, make game harder - fine, but this dosent make any sense. Make random holes collapsed and/or rabbits shud make new ones.

I am playing this game since early beta and i love every single part of it. But now, this DLC make game almost unplayable for me. Two words - Rain and Overheat. I want be able to disable this bull#X#! and every single part affecting the gameplay like randomly burning structures, items getting wet (and affecting my sanity), food spoiling on rain etc. It was fine before! Raining? Little sanity loss. Summer? Safe time, prepare to winter. It was fine.

Now its more like run, run, run, run, run to get items you need for rain, summer, winter all the time. Oh, and dont forget to run, run, run, run, run, you cant do nothing anytime, becouse you will DIEEEEE.... And its not fun for me anymore.

To this point i was happy with every big change in game - winter,  caves, sanity, adventure; becouse it was well balanced.I can live with preparation to winter, but i want explore world a little bit too. In summer i want to be happy and free for a while.

And no, i dont want turn off rain entirely, i like rain in game, but not with new effects. And no, i dont want turn off DLC, a want experience (AND I SHUD BE ABLE TO DO THAT!) new items, monsters and all new content without those annoying gameplay changes.

Oh, and one more thing - why all rabbit holes collapsing after winter? It make no sense. What? All rabbits will die underground without player making holes? Come on, make game harder - fine, but this dosent make any sense. Make random holes collapsed and/or rabbits shud make new ones.

Start during autumn. Small rains, good time for prepare. 

And... seriously? You play since early beta and you're not a good enough player to endure these difficulties? I don't believe at all.

Personally I'm enjoying the new challenges, but I do find the rain annoying (I just reached my first Spring), because it makes my game lag really badly and I have to keep quitting and restarting to clear it.

I'm going to be starting my first Summer soon, so maybe I'll be saying something different soon. ^^

I agree only with one thing mentioned - there little to no time for anything, but collecting something to live through another season (ice, wood etc.). Much less time for exploring, having fun and such. But that is easily countered just by making Autumn somewhat longer. Make a raincoat (rather easy recipe by the way) and Spring is pretty much like autumn, because it gives 100% wetness resistance. Yeah, constant rain drains your fuel supply fast, but trees and vegetables grow faster to the point of ridiculousness. Overheating can be a problem, but it is rather easy to counter when you have a fridge and two thermal stones. And that is not too hard to obtain even without any armor at all! Every Giant after getting used to their attack pattern can be taken down with a 1 spear and a Log suit and DragonFly can be just bought by 30 ashes left on the ground to force it to sleep and despawn.

And what of rabbits? Okey, so they are closing up from time to time, is that a problem? I mean, for gods sake you can run on monster meat and berries pretty much full year (counting winter out).

You'll just have to plan and manage little better and work your brain harder. Its not too much ask, right?

Start during autumn. Small rains, good time for prepare. 

And... seriously? You play since early beta and you're not a good enough player to endure these difficulties? I don't believe at all.

Thats the problem. I dont want endure new difficulties. And when i say 'new difficulties' i mean ONLY - new rain effects and overheat. Its just to much, i dont have fun with this game anymore. Now I MUST, all the time i MUST do what game want me to do. Overheat? Go under trees, take this ice, make cold fire, hide under umbrella, OMG! something is burning and plants are overhating too, go, go, go! Rain? Go under trees, make umbrella, eat this food before spoil, you are wet make some coat, and watch out for those nasty lightings... All the time i need to do something. On start of new game i cant even wonder around map for a few days to find good place for making base, becouse there is always rain and anyway if i wonder around too long i will be not prepared to winter/summer and die. Just slap all those structures on ground and start prepare for living without having any fun with this extreeeme advaaanced dlc gameeeplay, woooohoooo.

Before i was having planty of time in summer to exploring map, finding rare items, fighting random monsters, making some random items just for fun, building awesome home with garden and pig villige with central park and streets, setting advanced defences for doggies etc. Now there is no time for anyting. Player cant do anything pointless, becouse he will die. Cold, rain, heat, rain, cold, rain, heat, rain - all the time.

And dont get me wrong, i like a good challenge. I unlocked Maxwell and Wes and it was great, hard adventure. But now its just one, big run for life. And all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. :p

I want go back to old rain making me little depressed, and good, old summer without any problems. Thats all. Its not too much.

Madman666

Collapsed holes shud be random and after a while bunnies shud dig up new ones. Just like that. Its making no sense whatsoever for all of them be collapsed. After every winter player need to go around with shovel and dig up all holes, and then wait 20 days for holes to fully respawn. What is the point of that? Its just another tedious ideia from dlc.

"You'll just have to plan and manage little better and work your brain harder. Its not too much ask, right?"

Dont be rude dude. Im not asking to remove and change this DLC becouse i dont like it. Just to give me option to turn off those tedious mechanics and allow me to play Dont Starve with more freedom and fun. Thats all. In the fact, just give me option to turn off dumb overheat and i will be happy. 

Ps. Sorry for my bad english, im still lerning.

I dunno what you mean about having no time to do anything; I've only survived for a year and I have a fully walled-in base and three of the four research engines.  Either you need to use your time better, or you need to disable RoG.  Don't know what else to tell you.

Madman666

Collapsed holes shud be random and after a while bunnies shud dig up new ones. Just like that. Its making no sense whatsoever for all of them be collapsed. After every winter player need to go around with shovel and dig up all holes, and then wait 20 days for holes to fully respawn. What is the point of that? Its just another tedious ideia from dlc.

"You'll just have to plan and manage little better and work your brain harder. Its not too much ask, right?"

Dont be rude dude. Im not asking to remove and change this DLC becouse i dont like it. Just to give me option to turn off those tedious mechanics and allow me to play Dont Starve with more freedom and fun. Thats all. In the fact, just give me option to turn off dumb overheat and i will be happy. 

Ok, if what I said seemed too rude, than I apologise. I didn't mean to offend. But I think if you can't cope with those hardships - just turn off Summer and Spring completely. I don't think there'll be a disabling feature for Wetness and Heat mechanic. I mean what keeps you from just leaving only Autumn and Winter? It'll give you the pre-DLC DS game experience with the most of DLC stuff still in game. You won't lose anything besides Dragonfly and Moose giants.

And I just cannot understand what made you so fixated on those rabbit holes? I for example don't need them for anything besides Prestihatitator and Meat Effigy. And once those are done - never need them until I run out of Effigies. And also since they are closing only in Spring - turning it off will prevent them from collapsing.

If you have too little time for fun - just set Autumn to "very long" and enjoy 50 days of life without any DLC introduced hardships.

If you don't like Summer and Spring, turn them off. It barely rains in autumn so wetness shouldn't be anywhere near an issue.

Rabbit holes are closed in spring. Consider it some weird jackalope trait I guess. They're open for the rest of the year.

Wetness really shouldn't be so much of an issue that you have to turn it off, though.(Maybe if you set it to always start in Autumn, you wouldn't really mind Spring as much once it came) Summer I can understand more, since it's gear is much less simple than Winter, and the only one that's good AND simple has materials that you can only collect -during summer-, so it's harder to deal with it.

Thats the problem. I dont want endure new difficulties. And when i say 'new difficulties' i mean ONLY - new rain effects and overheat. Its just to much, i dont have fun with this game anymore.

What? I'ts half of all difficulties in RoG, and almost 25% of all difficulties the game. 

Now I MUST, all the time i MUST do what game want me to do. Overheat? Go under trees, take this ice, make cold fire, hide under umbrella, OMG! something is burning and plants are overhating too, go, go, go! Rain? Go under trees, make umbrella, eat this food before spoil, you are wet make some coat, and watch out for those nasty lightings...

This game gets boring if you do not need anything to do. (At  least we have ruins)

All the time i need to do something. On start of new game i cant even wonder around map for a few days to find good place for making base, becouse there is always rain and anyway if i wonder around too long i will be not prepared to winter/summer and die.

Start in autumn, like i said.

Just slap all those structures on ground and start prepare for living without having any fun with this extreeeme advaaanced dlc gameeeplay, woooohoooo.

This game gets boring if you do not need anything to do. 

Before i was having planty of time in summer to exploring map, finding rare items, fighting random monsters, making some random items just for fun, building awesome home with garden and pig villige with central park and streets, setting advanced defences for doggies etc. Now there is no time for anyting. Player cant do anything pointless, becouse he will die. Cold, rain, heat, rain, cold, rain, heat, rain - all the time.

Now we have autumn for that. You easilly can  prepare for winter and make rain hat for spring. Also summer frest, thermal stone and straw hat for summer. 

And dont get me wrong, i like a good challenge. I unlocked Maxwell and Wes and it was great, hard adventure. But now its just one, big run for life. And all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. :razz:

During autumn and winter you can prepare for all seasons.

I want go back to old rain making me little depressed, and good, old summer without any problems. Thats all. Its not too much.

It's too much. Rain do nothing in old game. Summer now autumn.

Madman666

Why you dig up holes? You can survie without PHatitator during first 20 days of spring. Please don't say that you need to eat rabbits. Only complete noobs have problems with food :|

No. Overheat also easier than freezing.

It's okay

you don't want to run run run run run? what else can a character do? in vanilla version you run a lot too. standing still is  boring... and you can't exactly ride a bike or drive a car so yeah...... run

you don't want to run run run run run? what else can a character do? in vanilla version you run a lot too. standing still is  boring... and you can't exactly ride a bike or drive a car so yeah...... run

You can make a walking cane. It's almost the same.

I can see the Summer as being understandably less fun for people, myself included. I don't mind a challenge, but a good challenge with a respectable reward/trophy is always nicer, and finding more unique things and exploring is always fun too, but it's hard to balance a good challenge and a balanced reward scheme. Perhaps there will be ways to make Summer more fun in the future. The Dragonfly, as fun as that is, doesn't seem to be enough to make summer a viable option of worth on comparison to the other seasons, but heck, maybe that's the point. Maybe it's made like that just so you can appreciate the other seasons more.

Everything else though, I can't really see a problem with. Just adapt to new things. After all, we are, in all essence, testers for the game, in a way. Some things will be added, changed and so forth, and we shall be there to grin and bear it, or laugh at it with all it splendour.

Hi, you can change that value on manually. Open your Don't Starve folder and go to

"Don't Starve > data\DLC0001\scripts" folder. And open "tuning.lua" file with your favorite text editor. Then you find "OVERHEAT_TEMP = 70" value and change this value from 70 to 90 or higher. And overheating isn't active for your new game.

For "rain effect" maybe you can change MOISTURE_WET_THRESHOLD value to 70 or higher.

Archived