Well I chose those monster specifically based on which would make more sense. I wouldn't expect a Goose Moose to have such ability based on its physical appearance.

For example the Bearger has large powerful arms, perfect for a crushing bear hug. The spider queen has long pointy front legs which can lash out and grab you. Spiders can jump at you and latch on with their legs and bite into your face, Werepigs again have a powerful looking physique, they could easy get you in a strong grip and squeeze the life out of you.

There isn't a perfect answer. It was based on what I felt would look and work right. If you don't like it that's cool.

Sorry if I'm coming across as being lazy, I technically am. Had a 14 hour shift at work and things were hectic, didn't want to be rude and ignore your comments now that I seen them, especially till tomorrow morning, 8 hours from now.

i think its not half a bad idea of a new monster with that ability, cause if you give the old monster that skill it would be a mess. i love the idea of a snake like monster that can grip you to death. but for ppl who don't want that when you generate a new world you can always remove the monster from your world with customisation option don't you agree? you can make a boss snake like monster or maybe just a normal snake monster or the 2 of them...

Klei added additional health to characters in the Beta to prevent unfitting survival mechanics like one-hit-kills from happening. Touch Stones and Meat effigies were added to prevent players from ragequitting the game and nothing else, don't make us have to rely on pathetic game-elongating tools such as that. Mod it in if you want to see it ever in Don't Starve, it won't happen by the hands of Klei, sorry mate. :^(

For example the Bearger has large powerful arms, perfect for a crushing bear hug. The spider queen has long pointy front legs which can lash out and grab you. Spiders can jump at you and latch on with their legs and bite into your face, Werepigs again have a powerful looking physique, they could easy get you in a strong grip and squeeze the life out of you.

I like the Bearger's concept the most. Such a bear hug seems cute in a terrifying way.

There isn't a perfect answer. It was based on what I felt would look and work right. If you don't like it that's cool.

I am ok with the answer.

Sorry if I'm coming across as being lazy, I technically am. Had a 14 hour shift at work and things were hectic, didn't want to be rude and ignore your comments now that I seen them, especially till tomorrow morning, 8 hours from now.

There's no need to be sorry.

Well firstly, it shouldn't be able to keep you locked down until your dead but instead deal a high amount of damage over a set about of time, then make it so this damage can be reduced by Armour as well as other players helping out.

I think instead, the mobs - mostly bosses - should have more CC abilities such as Deerclops' freezing ability, but just more of them.

Personally, I think death grips won't work, it works for a game such as Left 4 Dead where the players are forced to be in the same area at all times due the linear style of the maps, however when it comes to a exploration game such as Don't Starve, the chances of you being near another while you're all out foraging for food are a lot slimmer than you think. 

Death grips or 'Crowd Control (CC)' should be limited to higher tier creatures where you would expect all of the players to be at the same time (Or at least 2-3).

Crowd Control.....hmm....What about this?

Combine the Death grip with the ability to Throw. For example.

Deerclops Vs 4 Players

Seems as if the Deerclops has found himself in a 4 on 1 handicap match. Things are looking pretty bad right....WRONG!

Deerclops death grips player 1 (P1) and takes a chunk out of P1 health, at the same time Deerclops throws P1 slightly off screen. Leaving 3 players. Each time the Deerclops does his swipe attack the player it hits has a 20-50% chance of being caught in the Death grip.

Note in this suggestion as the Death grip isn't as OP, players can't break the grip by attacking it, once a player is in said monsters Death grip he will take serious damage (not sure on numbers) but will immediately be thrown away.

This way also makes fighting Deerclops and said monsters with the Death grip and Throw (DGT) not as easy as it would be in a party of 4. As of now the DGT ability should be given to boss monsters. I can't see a Werepig having the strength to throw us, I wonder how heavy Wolfgang and WX-78 are?

Personally, I think death grips won't work, it works for a game such as Left 4 Dead where the players are forced to be in the same area at all times due the linear style of the maps, however when it comes to a exploration game such as Don't Starve, the chances of you being near another while you're all out foraging for food are a lot slimmer than you think. 

One of the assumptions of my concept is that players will be cooperating in a 'cooperative mode'.

the chances of you being near another while you're all out foraging for food are a lot slimmer than you think. 

Just out of curiosity - what makes you think that you know what I think the chances are?  :livid:

Well firstly, it shouldn't be able to keep you locked down until your dead but instead deal a high amount of damage over a set about of time, then make it so this damage can be reduced by Armour as well as other players helping out.

But that would allow for a situation that you can withstand the 'Death Grip' with just some armour on. This will result in players being able to just let themselves get caught and survive. No cooperation, no need for help, no innovation for gameplay. The whole concept falls flat.

Death grips or 'Crowd Control (CC)' should be limited to higher tier creatures where you would expect all of the players to be at the same time (Or at least 2-3).

Do you think there will be moments where for example a Deerclops will attack 1 player while the rest is somewhere else? One of the main lines of your argumentation seems to be the assumption that so called 'bosses' will instantly teleport all the players to the place where they spawn ('expected presence'). Personally I don't see that happening. While proposing to arm the more aggressive and tougher opponents with 'CC' or 'DG' you seem to be against the same mechanics being applied to more managable, weaker monsters that won't chase players just like the bosses do. I am baffled by that.

Crowd Control.....hmm....What about this?

Combine the Death grip with the ability to Throw. For example.

Deerclops Vs 4 Players

Seems as if the Deerclops has found himself in a 4 on 1 handicap match. Things are looking pretty bad right....WRONG!

Deerclops death grips player 1 (P1) and takes a chunk out of P1 health, at the same time Deerclops throws P1 slightly off screen. Leaving 3 players. Each time the Deerclops does his swipe attack the player it hits has a 20-50% chance of being caught in the Death grip.

Note in this suggestion as the Death grip isn't as OP, players can't break the grip by attacking it, once a player is in said monsters Death grip he will take serious damage (not sure on numbers) but will immediately be thrown away.

This way also makes fighting Deerclops and said monsters with the Death grip and Throw (DGT) not as easy as it would be in a party of 4. As of now the DGT ability should be given to boss monsters. I can't see a Werepig having the strength to throw us, I wonder how heavy Wolfgang and WX-78 are?

I like the idea of adding a fight breaking mechanic to a monster that specializes in demolishing bases. I am not sure about the luck factor. It seems odd in the DS game.

I like the idea of adding a fight breaking mechanic to a monster that specializes in demolishing bases. I am not sure about the luck factor. It seems odd in the DS game.

How so? There are chance/random based situations riddled throughout Don't Starve. For starters there is a chance for Deerclops to spawn as with all bosses. There is a chance for Tree guardians to spawn, there's a chance for angered trees to spawn. There is a chance for Vargs to spawn when tracking, there's a chance for Thulecite Club to spawn a Shadow Tentacle, there's a chance for catcoons to cough up random items. I can go on and on lol.

Having the chance of a swipe and grab attack is no different.

The reason people dont like this idea is because its pretty much OH OOPS YOU DIDNT DODGE INSTAKILL, not to mention it kind of goes against the way most enemies work being that you can make mistakes but you have to pay for them later, this thing just like OH YOU DIDNT HAVE SO AND SO WELL YOUR DEAD NOW.

Oh god this is awful. You're essentially FORCING players to interact a certain way. Want to be independent? Nope, sorry, you have to save each other or it's inescapable death. Want to venture off in separate directions? Nope, sorry, you have to travel together or it's inescapable death. Want to be responsible for different things? Nope, sorry, you're not mining while he's chopping trees or it's inescapable death.

Players shouldn't be punished for playing in ways that aren't centered on the idea of complete codependence and inseparability. Inescapable death should never be a risk in a risk vs reward situation. If you want to take risks and go separate ways and accomplish two things at once, you should be allowed to. Being trapped and killed with no way of escaping by yourself is so far off-key from the other obstacles that Don't Starve has in place. 

Part of the beauty of Don't Starve is how you can go about things in a multitude of ways. Want to prepare extensively? Go ahead; just make sure the enemies aren't building up too freely. Want to farm plants and honey? Go ahead; just make sure you'll have enough. Want to be nomadic? Go ahead; just make sure you're a strong fighter. Want to grab the best gear from the ruins? Go ahead; just make sure you're prepared enough. Want to fight the giants? Go ahead; just be ready for what they bring for the table. Want to fight the giants with your bare fists? Go ahead; just make sure you're skilled enough.

Want to venture out on your own in a multiplayer game? Go ahead; just make sure something doesn't grab you and trap you and kill you with no way to escape on your own besides making another player drop what they're doing to save you.

No. Just no.

Archived