Voice chat probably not. Chat, heck YES! How about if we press enter and we can type something up to like 30 characters or something and when we click enter again the player says it like it examined something but says the text you typed in instead!

Crynux was planning to add a set of quick chat commands rather than text chat to his multiplayer mod. Things like, "We should set up camp", "I'm hungry", "Follow me". I think that could be an interesting idea, trying to work together with such a simple form of communication.

It would make sense that Klei would build-in some form of communication, since there will definitely be players who want to play against others they don't already know. If they only opt for text-only and not voice, here's a couple alternatives for folks with mics:

Ventrillo

TeamSpeak

Set quick chat commands in my experience never seem to get the level of communication I need across. (e.g. saying "follow me" when really, I mean "The birds and the bees and dogs that want to KILL us are coming!"

​But on the flip side, allowing for full communication may cater to abusive players.

Still, I vote for full communication and a mute feature.

Archived