Giant locations.

Giants Spawn   

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should Giants Spawn be Player positioning based or Biome specific? (adding a sense of "hunting" for them)

• Yes, I like this change
    • No, I like it as is
    • I don't like it as is, but this doesn't work for me either

I was reading a post and the OP talked about the randomness of the boss spawns, and kind of limiting yourself to what you could do until they spawned. i definitely felt that, and at some point, during the seasons and especially the last update, I was waiting for the bosses to spawn, with really no other agenda. 

I was wondering if it would be better to have the bosses linked to certain biomes, so that during their seasons they would spawn in say 1-2 specified biomes. That way when a certain time hit during the season, a player could go "hunt" down a boss of their choosing. Players then had the option to choose which they wanted to hunt, which they wanted to avoid, and beginners still had the unfortunate opportunity to bumble upon them.

Making a persons base would now involve more than just a food source, or a choice terrain, but also potential dangers (more so than there are now). 

I do understand that the potential for a Giant to come stomping through one's base is lost, but another added benefit would be that players now have to leave their base during a certain season for a serious reason. After someone has established themselves, the "turtling" sets in. You don't have to go anywhere, and being near a fire pit can provide all the counteraction to the weather one needs. (but induces boredom). 

It'll be like going to hunt down the Ancient Guardian in the caves. Players have to prepare themselves to enter the caves and prep their base to leave and their inventory to deal with that specific environment. I feel, from my experience, that is a much lesser extent for above ground weather. 

I italicized the last two paragraphs because readers may respond to this as something that does happen and is trivial. I know people do find reasons to venture out after being established instead of just turtling, and I do myself, but at times I'm seriously just hanging out at my base because I don't really need to do much besides like farm some nearby rocks, then done. Or I wander for tracks, but instead I would love to seriously go out and hunt a Giant instead of leaving it to spawn. 

I like the moments when I just came out of a cave, hear the moaning of a giant and go like: "F@CK I NEED FOOD AND WEAPONS."

Only to arrive at base, grab the stuff I need and then hear the ground shaking of a nearby said giant swinging away at my stuff.

Since then I have chests with additional gear ready near caves.

While hunting down Giants would be cool, I think they are better off as is. Spawning in certain biomes give players a chance to avoid them completely, and since we have more biomes than Giants there is the chance of not encountering one even if you do go out searching for it. Besides, I think the surprise of a Giant attack is one of the better things in game. Nothing keeps things fresh like a destroyed base.

You've completely reversed the point of them. You're not hunting them, you are the hunted.

that's the problem, since you're hunted but you are so powerfull that nobody even fears them, and just want their loot, it makes being hunted kind of weird, and makes people think about farming giants, not fearing giants.

that's the problem, since you're hunted but you are so powerfull that nobody even fears them, and just want their loot, it makes being hunted kind of weird, and makes people think about farming giants, not fearing giants.

As someone who's died three times to them before I was powerful enough or prepared, I disagree.

Or maybe I'm just special.

today i begin new game,with "MORE" of all giants, and "lOTS" of Moose-Goose, and you know what happend?

Moose-Goose spawn at day 5 !and second time at day 14,well its ok,after that was Deerclop, but Bearger not spawn at all, and when summer begins another Moose -Goose attack me ))

i accept this suggestion to spawn area for giants, and maybe icon on minimap for each,BUT... !

...but then they will be like neutral beefalo,instead of the encroaching on supplies events.

maybe this option will turn on with only "MORE","LOTS" settings for gians.

You aren't being hunted by the giants, they are just doing their own thing and you happen to get in the way. Dragonfly just wants brunch and bearger can't help himself with your picnic baskets. Dearclops is practicing his landscaping, and Goose is doing what ever a Goose Moose does. 

Your bearger didn't use the charge attack that he used constantly for me. Which made it literally impossible to fight him.

Look closely, the video shows why not. Listen, after EVERY AoE attack (area of effect) he will charge at you. but since I walk back to him, he skips this charge attack of his and tries to slash me right off the bat. That is why he never does it.

I hope I helped ya out, try out what I did and you will see :)

Your bearger didn't use the charge attack that he used constantly for me. Which made it literally impossible to fight him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This right here. Ding Ding we have a winner.

It's impossible to kite him when he charges.

Look closely, the video shows why not. Listen, after EVERY AoE attack (area of effect) he will charge at you. but since I walk back to him, he skips this charge attack of his and tries to slash me right off the bat. That is why he never does it.

I hope I helped ya out, try out what I did and you will see :-)

He still always does it. I don't have trouble with the bearger, easiest giant IMO but the bearger is really annoying when he charges, it's simple to avoid, but it takes a really long time to kill him if he charges a lot and can make you go insane.

I hope I helped ya out, try out what I did and you will see :-)

Hm. I guess I'll try spawning him in and trying again. Anyway, back on topic!

Have a cookie for being nice :grin:

Also i tried tanking the moosegoose once, it didnt end well.... (Was very thankful that meat effigies exist when that happened)

I know the Goose/Moose is a joke at the moment but tanking him is indeed not a smart choice :).

Lets us not derail this topic any further ^^

As I said, watch my video he does it there too, only so short you barely see it.

He didn't charge in your video, he only took a few non-charging steps toward you. His charge is also not after every AoE, it's when you are too far away from him when he is about to do his AoE. The time you are safe from his charge is actually right after the AoE.

Yeah, this stemmed really off topic with the Bearger charge. 

What i've seen so far is the 50/50 split of people liking as is and others liking the new concept. 

I figure the Giant patching should stay the same. 

A few people have given really good reasons as to the truer nature of Giants and bosses in the game, and I have to wholly agree with them. 

I don't like this. We're not supposed to be the apex predator going on safaris. We're supposed to be struggling to survive.

I do really like the idea of a unprecedented terror in each area and actually hunting once the pattern is learned, after a person becomes so familiar with this mystery land that it is no longer a mystery. But from the poll I don't feel a change should be made. 

Thanks everyone for the comments, votes, and everything else! 

Maybe at sometime we can hunt something else!

No thank you. Sorry, but I want to see the giants, not have to look for them in the dead of summer/winter. It's not like the ancient guardian in the fact the he spawns in a certain spot in the ruins. One that you always know what to look for and where to look for it. What you're saying is you want giants to randomly spawn somewhere random in the world. This would be a HUGE pain for trying to get any items that use a giant drop. Plus the fact that this idea is pretty much taking out half of the danger of this DLC. So yeah, my vote goes for no

Archived