Your Reign of Giants (RoG) strategys

DON'T eat a dozen spoiled pumpkin cookies to regain hunger in winter.  Because you'll get attacked by insanity monsters and hounds, and then you'll freeze at your touchstone.

True story.

EDIT: Sorry, I completely ignored the purpose of this thread.

DON'T eat a dozen spoiled pumpkin cookies to regain hunger in winter.  Because you'll get attacked by insanity monsters and hounds, and then you'll freeze at your touchstone.

True story.

EDIT: Sorry, I completely ignored the purpose of this thread.

That's fine, as long as you don't ignore the purpose too much.

This goes for vanilla as well, but DO NOT let a single rock lobster onto the surface, unless you plan on a trip trough the teleportato. And don't die because you forgot to move when using the old bell. Mistakes that have killed me in the most annoying ways.

This goes for vanilla as well, but DO NOT let a single rock lobster onto the surface, unless you plan on a trip trough the teleportato.

About our conversation....

I forgot that i had 14 spoiled butterfly wings in the icebox plus 2 butter.

It's winter now, because the fighting music has changed, and the screen looks blue-ish (although there is no snow yet) and it's getting really cold.

(Do you wanna do this in a PM?)

Don't forget that bees want to murder you in Spring, for whatever reason. I guess they want to be like beefaloes.

I'm just glad that doesn't happen in real life. 

I can imagine a thousand bees stinging your door, you open your door to see what the noise is, they come in and murder you.

I can imagine a thousand bees stinging your door, you open your door to see what the noise is, they come in and murder you.

And you can't even make a magic beekeeper hat with six pieces of spider silk in real life to survive the attack long enough to beat them to death with your meat club.

About our conversation....

I forgot that i had 14 spoiled butterfly wings in the icebox plus 2 butter.

It's winter now, because the fighting music has changed, and the screen looks blue-ish (although there is no snow yet) and it's getting really cold.

(Do you wanna do this in a PM?)

Sure, but I don't know how those work, never used one.

Here is something I don't understand about ROG giants. 

"I asked Klei if they were there to fight, and while that is an option, each giant actually has something they want. You can help them out and potentially get something in return." - by Joe Danato at Gamezone

I can't figure out what the something is. If let them eat my food, break my stuff, feed one of them ashes, and not kill the baby Goose gooses do I get something other than a wrecked save file?

"I asked Klei if they were there to fight, and while that is an option, each giant actually has something they want. You can help them out and potentially get something in return." - by Joe Danato at Gamezone

I can't figure out what the something is. If let them eat my food, break my stuff, feed one of them ashes, and not kill the baby Goose gooses do I get something other than a wrecked save file?

Klei also said at one point, that they were going to have mobs with their own priorities and tasks to do in the world.  Which I've seen no evidence of so far, unless you count catcoons' behavior.  I think they may have been overly ambitious in some of their plans for RoG...

Klei also said at one point, that they were going to have mobs with their own priorities and tasks to do in the world.  Which I've seen no evidence of so far, unless you count catcoons' behavior.  I think they may have been overly ambitious in some of their plans for RoG...

Dragonfly does this. He will stop spitting fire after he eats about 20 ash.

Dragonfly does this. He will stop spitting fire after he eats about 20 ash.

The way Klei talked, I took it to mean regular mobs.  And i was hoping for something more dynamic than "wants to eat # of X".  I was hoping maybe pigs might...I don't know, gather saplings, or chop down trees on their own and, I don't know, do something with the wood.  Maybe there would be some mob competing for beefalo or something.  Merms chopping down wood and building new merm houses.  Something that makes the world feel more alive and dynamic.  Giants only exist for a very short time and whatever they want does not add dynamism to the world.

The way Klei talked, I took it to mean regular mobs.  And i was hoping for something more dynamic than "wants to eat # of X".  I was hoping maybe pigs might...I don't know, gather saplings, or chop down trees on their own and, I don't know, do something with the wood.  Maybe there would be some mob competing for beefalo or something.  Merms chopping down wood and building new merm houses.  Something that makes the world feel more alive and dynamic.  Giants only exist for a very short time and whatever they want does not add dynamism to the world.

For what the game already is, a lot of regular mobs do their own thing to survive like players do. Merms always get into fights with tentacles, MacTusk and WeeTusk hunt animals, Spiders Queens help maintain spider population, bees go around the world spreading flowers and making more honey. Snurtles and Slurtles come out of their dens after earthquakes to feed on rocks, Pengulls breed back to the same spots every Winter and protect their eggs. Just small things, but they help make the world alive.

For what the game already is, a lot of regular mobs do their own thing to survive like players do. Merms always get into fights with tentacles, MacTusk and WeeTusk hunt animals, Spiders Queens help maintain spider population, bees go around the world spreading flowers and making more honey. Snurtles and Slurtles come out of their dens after earthquakes to feed on rocks, Pengulls breed back to the same spots every Winter and protect their eggs. Just small things, but they help make the world alive.

That's all pre-RoG.  And none of it affects the world in terribly significant ways anyway.  Except for starting fights, which of course we all learn to use to our advantage, and definitely adds excitement.  But nothing has plans beyond 'eat this' or 'kill that', except the catcoon.  And his only other plans are 'jump on trees' and 'throw up'. 

I'm not saying Klei did a bad job or something, but with respect to Ridley's post, I was pointing out that RoG may be a bit different than what Klei had suggested early on.   And sorry to OP for this derailing. 

My strategy advice for RoG: Build a separate summer base, and don't visit your original in summer if you can avoid it.

Archived