Tentacle Spawning

My suggestion is that you should be able to plant Tentacle Spots.  After a while, they will grow into full fledged tentacles.  They will still attack you.

Pretty simple, just so Tentacles are no longer finite.

I can totally see the sense in this, especially with the spots being what they are, but it kinda feels as if it would make the giant tentacles useless. I guess they could add something more to them and then this would make sense.

who needs a tooth trap field when you've got a tentacle field

At least the tooth traps don't try to kill you =P

I like the idea, but I also don't like it o_O. I like it because I like renewable ressources that can make games go longer and longer. However, unless the tentacle spot drop rate is increased to 100% (which I hope won't be the case because raincoat will become so easy to craft and we would be able to replant every single tentacle), it will only delay the inevitable: tentacle will eventually be extinct anyway. The only difference will be that it is going to take longer and people will be able to abuse them (e.g. by making tentacle fields to defend themselves). That would also diminish one of Wickerbottom's advantage where she is currently the only one who can summon tentacles. Moreover, there are giant tentacles which make tentacle drop renewable already, at the risk of going down in the caves, so we don't really ''need'' tentacles to be renewable, only their drops (which is already the case).

My suggestion is that you should be able to plant Tentacle Spots.  After a while, they will grow into full fledged tentacles.  They will still attack you.

Pretty simple, just so Tentacles are no longer finite.

Its quite simple to add tentacle respawn mechanics. Just one component and they wont be finite, I wanted this for a long time now and will mod it soon.

It will make the Wickerbottom book less usefull.

More tentacle for one spot but with a sanity loss.

Not against the idea, even if i think that tentacle must spawn at full moon. This way, there are renewable and wickerbottom keep the ability to control when the tentacles grown.

Planting is OP, you will be able to pick location and use them for protection or farm them when needed.

I agree. Also planting tentacles don't make sense. We know tentacles come from the unknown creature which lives deep in the caves.

I agree. Also planting tentacles don't make sense. We know tentacles come from the unknown creature which lives deep in the caves.

How do we know there is an unknown creature living deep in the caves?  If there is, why would tentacles even have reproductive organs?

Also, sense?

Planting is OP, you will be able to pick location and use them for protection or farm them when needed.

True, but tentacle spots are a rare drop, so you couldn't amass very many tentacles without sacrificing the items you can make with them.

How do we know there is an unknown creature living deep in the caves?  If there is, why would tentacles even have reproductive organs?

Also, sense?

True, but tentacle spots are a rare drop, so you couldn't amass very many tentacles without sacrificing the items you can make with them.

The last part of tentapillars.

Ehm no

It would be OP and it would remove one of the perks of Wickerbotton (The

Book "On Tentacles" makes tentacles kinda renewable). Also, all the drops tentacles can give can also be dropped by the Tentapillar, which is renewable.

I remember posting this idea while the game was still in beta :u Tentacles weren't renewable back then, giant tentacles didn't exist. But wait, the giant tentacles make the drops infinite then. So planting spots isn't really needed now.

I remember posting this idea while the game was still in beta :u Tentacles weren't renewable back then, giant tentacles didn't exist. But wait, the giant tentacles make the drops infinite then. So planting spots isn't really needed now.

Still some kind of spawner for tentacles is needed, cause you can kill them all and make swamp very friendly area.

I think if you had to go hunt down the resources for a potted fern, then fertilize that with the reproductive spots, then it would be overpowered. You have to spend alot of cave time searching for the materials, but I think this would improve upon some stuff.

1. The ferns don't currently do anything.

2. Some of the characters don't trust the useless fern ( I know that Wx78 doesn't trust them ).

3. Finally show that the tentacles can use their spots to reproduce with the cave flora, which might link the ferns to the tentacles biologically.

4. Put some use to those flammable pots.

5. Allow above world generation of tentacles.

6. Still allows Wickerbottom to have the upper hand, since she can make tentacle fields fast.

7. Give more reason for caves.

8. Give more reason for tentacle spots after getting the rain coat.

9. We could have a trap for defense that isn't the boring old tooth traps or expensive houndis shootius.

10. Answer the old as time community request for grow-able tentacles.

Catcoons die out, killer bees die out, pigs die out, there aren't many persistent surviving creatures (only ones that have spawners that can't be destroyed or reproduce some how, I suppose). Why should tentacles be any different? If I were to play the devil's advocate, I'd say something like "your desire for tentacles to hold some kind of longevity is naive and merely because you're faced with their destruction more consciously than that of everything else - MAKING YOU A BAD PERSON HUR" or something. I don't, of course, mean that at all. 

But seriously, lots of stuff isn't renewable. That's part of Don't Starve.

To play along with this though:

Tentacles reproduce through their spots (well, we may assume from quotes but this isn't officially confirmed, is it?) which would relate them most closely to what biological creature(s)? Perhaps if we could draw some kind of sense from their reproduction, we could certainly mod an emulation that isn't crude and senseless beyond some kind of petting novelty

Archived