Help with frog rain needed!

Hi,

I am a "new" Don't Starve player with experience from a really old version.

I got the Realm of Giants DLC and i love it, but there is one thing i absolutely hate: FROG RAIN!

Every time i spawn in a good world, around day 5-7 there is a frog rain.

And every time it screws me over! I always die in the night, because they all go teaming on me and i die because i didn't had space to flee bacause it was dark.

Can somebody please help me to survive this?

You could always try generating new worlds until you get one where you start in Autumn, where there is no frog rain for two seasons. You can tell if it is Autumn or not because of the color of the Birchnut trees. If you don't mind a bit of cheating, you could set it to start on Autumn automatically with the World Gen settings. 

After two seasons of minor preparations, you can easily exploit the frog rain to get free food for a good while. You can put traps at the entrances to your base if you have walls to catch the ones that try to jump in. Another good tip is to store a bunch of junk (like rot and stuff you have a lot of) in the front of your inventory, so when they hit you you don't lose anything important.  

You could always try generating new worlds until you get one where you start in Autumn, where there is no frog rain for two seasons. You can tell if it is Autumn or not because of the color of the Birchnut trees. If you don't mind a bit of cheating, you could set it to start on Autumn automatically with the World Gen settings. 

But that is not cheating....

But that is not cheating....

I know, it was just a poor choice of words. When I first started playing this game I was really bad at it so I set a bunch of stuff to none and couldn't deny the fact that I was cheating, so any altering to the world gen automatically seems like cheating to me. I make it start at Autumn myself because I just like the order of seasons that makes the world go through. 

Hi,

I am a "new" Don't Starve player with experience from a really old version.

I got the Realm of Giants DLC and i love it, but there is one thing i absolutely hate: FROG RAIN!

And every time it screws me over! I always die in the night, because they all go teaming on me and i die because i didn't had space to flee bacause it was dark.

As was said before traping frogs doesnt cause them to go murder mook on you.

They go from being a threat to a good way of surviving spring.

Rain of frogs is a pain in the ass i play ass webber and i played a default plus becuase extra spiders is a good thing for me and got a good amount of starting materials but i started out in spring i ended up using lua console to turn on god mode to remove all the frogs from my base the herd mentality of the frogs is a pain in the ass you attack one any frog with in range attacks you and my spiders where no help. I didnt want to cheat but 2 frog rains in a row really kicks any dont starve players ass

Assuming you don't have enough grass and twigs to make many traps, I'd recommend simply making torches and running around the map, in order to spread the frogs out as much as possible.  Preferably in areas you don't think you'll be frequenting.  Open areas are good, so they don't get hidden behind trees.  Beehives are a great area - the bees will be in the hives at night, and in the day they will come out angry (because frog rain is only in spring) and massacre the frogs.  Tallfort would also be very good.  I'd avoid your beefalo herd unless it's already very large and can withstand losing several beefalo.  Pig villages are ok, but they take a long time to respawn, vs bees which respawn quickly.  Swamps also pretty good, and you may get lucky and get some nice trentacle drops.  But it's pretty dangerous at night.

Make a trap, fill ur inventory to the brim with stuff till you can only carry the trap on your mouse, run to a frog and right click when your near it to drop the trap, effectively capturing the frog. Now pick the trap up, put the frog leg in ur inventory and continue clearing the mess.

Make a trap, fill ur inventory to the brim with stuff till you can only carry the trap on your mouse, run to a frog and right click when your near it to drop the trap, effectively capturing the frog. Now pick the trap up, put the frog leg in ur inventory and continue clearing the mess.

Better yet, let your slot 1 have a trap too. Any frog licking you will get a trap dropped where he stands. Mwahaha! :grin:

As people said above, guide the frog to bees nests, pig villages, etc... If you have none of those run away from your camp and run around to dodge them till it is over. The problem with this solution is that you get way too much food at once and most of it rots. There is a better solution:

It is good to have an area full of frogs within a safe distance from your camp:

- Take attacking dogs, giants, treeguards to the frog infested area

- Go near it with pig helpers and feast on legs and ham

- Take 2 friendly Rock Lobsters, make them aggro the frogs, drop traps on top of the frogs attacking the Rock Lobsters in "rock mode", repeat until you pick enough frog legs to cook w/o spoiling (one lobster might die with too many frogs, 2 can take anything)

- Guide frogs to a Walrus camp area. In winter they will make a good distraction for the walrus and allow you to get some nice loot from it. 

Frog rains can be your food pantry / monster defense for over a year if you manage it right :grin:

Archived