Glommer Backstory Brainstorming

No one really questions if there is a backstory behind Chester because he is rather simple. But Glommer seems to have at least something going on, as he has his own giant statue of himself and is attracted to some red flower during a full moon.

It kinda warrants some questioning. Why does this oversized-fly-spider-thing have his own statue? Who built it? Does he have some large connection with the world? What's with the flower? We might as well use our amazing Don't Starve lore brainstorming powers and come up with some stuff for fun. What do you guys think? Glommer having his own statue would imply he is important in some way.

I have the theory that Glommer is the "creator" of plant life in Dont Starve, when the world was nothing but dirt and rocks They placed a statue linked to a creature that would spread life based on the memories of Maxwell, and every full moon when their power is big he comes back to check how everything is going and fertilize the world with his goop.

Of course all of this is pure speculation and there is nothing in the game that suggests my theory but since there is no canon explanation I take it.

Only Maxwell and the builders of the ruins are known to make statues, so I would be a safe bet that one of those two made it.

However, the pigs build their village near it, they must have some contribution right? I don't think they worship Glommer because they don't care about me destroying the statue or if they kill Glommer. I wonder if the pig king and big foot are in cahoots. We don't know much about the pig king either, I would be interested in some character development for him.

I feel like Glommer is a ambassador or a messenger of some kind. His little wings might be inspired by Hermes.

I kinda had this idea in my head that Glommer was the first artificial creature that Maxwell created in the DS world, so it would kinda make sense for there to be a statue of him, and he was worshipped by other creatures. Maybe the ruins people, although I don't think Maxwell was on the throne when the ruins people existed, judging by him being clueless on who made some marble structures (Like the pillars).

I read that if you kill a Glommer the naughtiness level raises to the cap (I cannot kill it myself because it cuteness), so it is considered by the world the most innocent and good natured creature. I thought that it is something that represent the "good" in this game when the sanity aura was huge, but now I don't really know now. 

By the set piece, with 2 cut trees and a pan flute near the statue I guess someone payed respect to the Glommer by serenading or contemplating by moonlight, and I like to believe that someone or something leaves that flower in the statue, rather than it just spawn from it.

BTW, what does "Glommer" mean?

I read that if you kill a Glommer the naughtiness level raises to the cap (I cannot kill it myself because it cuteness), so it is considered by the world the most innocent and good natured creature. I thought that it is something that represent the "good" in this game when the sanity aura was huge, but now I don't really know now. 

By the set piece, with 2 cut trees and a pan flute near the statue I guess someone payed respect to the Glommer by serenading or contemplating by moonlight, and I like to believe that someone or something leaves that flower in the statue, rather than it just spawn from it.

BTW, what does "Glommer" mean?

glommer
Web definitions
  1. a person who steals; a person who catches or grabs from others

So I made a theory but never posted it that the islands of Don't Starve were inhabited by one of the countries in the early 100's (possibly England or Rome) and so the islands were strong with nightmare fuel and many of the creatures were only on the island (rabbits, beefalos, glommers, etc.) and they all had the power of nightmare fuel.

Glommer Theory: The gloomers were unique to only one island (the island you spawn in) and because of that the inhabitants worshiped glommers as "living gods" they had structures built for the glommers a shrine with 2 birchnut stumps as seats next to two trees. The trees resembled how the glommers loved birchnuts as it was where many huts were. Once the experimentation of nightmare fuel began, glommers were one of the first animals experimented. But the problem was they were somehow transformed into our Crawling Horrors / Crawling Terrors as of which destroyed the gloomer habitats and killed people. The flower that attracts them is a special flower that only bloomed on a full moon (the flower the glommer flower is based of of is called a Rafflesia) the flower grew on the statue as well. The only reason why they leave after a full moon is because they fear Crawling Horrors and only feel courage on full moons since Crawling Horrors can't see them on full moons and glommers' power overpowers the Crawling Horrors then.

English isn't my natural language, so I don't know if it can also derivate from:

glom (ɡlɒm)

vb
1. to attach oneself to or associate oneself with

I saw a screenshot or video with glommer in it. Glommer had a tree attached to it's back

Well, the glommer is a fascinating creature indeed. With the uncanny visual semblence... semblance... similarity to the Shadow Crawler, the flower, the statue, the moonphase and of course the giant disembodied foot it can summon, it leaves a lot of room for theories and specualtion.

Yet I can't think of anything cool.

._.

Since Glommer drops monster meat when killed and resembles a spider I think it's a normal spider that is corrupted by nightmare fuel. Turning the first and most common hostile mob into the most innocent creature in the Don't Starve. However I don't have an idea of why the pig king and pig village is always found near the Glommer statue  (or why he has a statue) and if these a connection between the two or not, or how Glommer is connected to Bigfoot   

Since Glommer drops monster meat when killed and resembles a spider I think it's a normal spider that is corrupted by nightmare fuel. Turning the first and most common hostile mob into the most innocent creature in the Do't Starve. However I don't have an idea of why the pig king and pig village is always found near the Glommer statue  (or why he has a statue) and if these a connection between the two or not, or how Glommer is connected to Bigfoot   

Off-topic, but i read that as Do Starve.

On-topic i have no idea.

Glommer likely (for ME) and The First Creature maked Maxwell services, generates elements in the Night, By Maxwell hum metod As Charlie perdon paragraph element, STATUE OF HIM AND THE Explorers services maked Volta (real skelletons) Because the element helped eels a City: Do not Stay mad (As Wilson Castaway not UO How portal Companion Cube does not), and Bigfoot Because Maxwell CREATED paragraph protects it, but after all this time changed his mind (exposure to the sea)

flower of Charlie atracts him.

DS-charlie-head.png

Found this:

As featured in the Star Trek: The Animated Series episode 'More Tribbles, More Troubles'. The Glommer was genetically engineered by Klingons to hunt, kill and eat Tribbles. 

There you have it folks klei teamed up with star trek LOL

Archived