Honey spoiling...

I still have a jar of honey from like 3 years ago. It's like a jar of really sweet candy, and it's still fine! Golden as the day I got it. I just don't really like large amount of honey, so I didn't eat it a lot. I actually forgot about it for a looong time, so yeah. Actually, I think I just got sick of honey. Or I found out I was allergic to basically every ingredient in bread, so it was good-bye to honey sandwiches.

In my last game, I survived every season bar Winter with just honey and monster meat. I'd rather see honey go off faster. However, if we were to go for realism, how about bees producing less honey or something? You'd have to balance it out somehow if honey were to last longer than it already does (chuck it in a fridge and weeeeeeeeeeeeee).

well dont starve isnt completely based off of real life there are big spiders and weird one eyed birds. And also in game the honey can last well 40 days thats still pretty good compared to many other foods carrots berries. I dont think its a big problem but everyone has opinions.

considering you need 4 pieces of honey for 1 candy and one full load is 6 not that much...

I know that game mechanics is game mechanics but this could be rly nice way to survive winter. Since rabbit in box dies, honey that i was gathring like a bee all summer should last for winter and early spring...

Why the honey is spoiling so fast ?!?!?!

http://www.eatbydate.com/other/sweets/honey-shelf-expiration-date/

in rl world honey should never spoil.. why it cant last for one season in the game?? Rly?

This is honey from bees so its should hold on at least for one season in the fridge !!

I think it spoils even faster than in basic game...why?

The anwser is - to make the game harder. It's not that hard to mass produce honey. Imagine it never spoiling. Honey would quickly solve your hunger problems and break the game in this aspect.

I am not sure how experianced you are with Don't Starve but making propositions like this you're basicly pulling one birck out of the already established game balance. I know that new players have the urge to put their teeth into content that they haven't yet tested and by solving their food problem they would be able to do it faster. BELIVE me - you don't want that. Play the game, enjoy it and soon you will realize that some middleground needs to be taken when it comes to game design. Then you will understand why honey spoils.

The anwser is - to make the game harder. It's not that hard to mass produce honey. Imagine it never spoiling. Honey would quickly solve your hunger problems and break the game in this aspect.

I am not sure how experianced you are with Don't Starve but making propositions like this you're basicly pulling one birck out of the already established game balance. I know that new players have the urge to put their teeth into content that they haven't yet tested and by solving their food problem they would be able to do it faster. BELIVE me - you don't want that. Play the game, enjoy it and soon you will realize that some middleground needs to be taken when it comes to game design. Then you will understand why honey spoils.

I'm not new to this game. my firnd :")) I've played my days and stoped becouse in the end game it was to easy (i rly did not like underground and all fuss about that part of a game).  You say that i try to "pull one birck out of the already established game balance". I think that this DLC preaty messed up game ballance what used to be and since it is in beta some tweaks can be considered. There are tons of game fans so called hard core and most of the time they want game to be harder and hader. I'm also want game to be challenging but fair challeng not just "now i will kill you and you can do sh!t about that".

I wanted to give my though about this becouse devs took one of the greates gift from nature that can last for ages - there are known facts about honney found in King Tut’s tomb that was 2000 years old and did not spoil... thats is something :")))

I dont use modes - they spoil the game in most cases for me.

I take the game "as it is" but as everybody i can make sugestion and try to make it better :")))))) At least try ^^ cheers

I wanted to give my though about this becouse devs took one of the greates gift from nature that can last for ages - there are known facts about honney found in King Tut’s tomb that was 2000 years old and did not spoil... thats is something :")))

There were at least 2 posts like this few months ago. The same arguments were made.

I think that this DLC preaty messed up game ballance what used to be and since it is in beta some tweaks can be considered.

Honey was already in vanilla Don't Starve. I don't think it's justified to tweak with the things that were considered to be ok because the new content is bit out of place.

cheers

Cheers!

Honey already lasts a huge amount of time and is incredibly easy to farm in mass amounts. Honestly, you can -already- survive through winter with it, because winter only lasts 15 days and it takes 40 to spoil... which means 50 in winter or icebox and maybe longer if it's winter -and- in an icebox. (Admittedly, you'd need about 160 honey, 4 full stacks of it, that was harvested during that summer/autumn; but it's not like there isn't plenty of other easy food you can get in winter like rabbits)

Besides, if you didn't manage to go through the honey in 40 days, you're clearly making more than you can use.

As much as honey technically lasts longer (in clean conditions), it just doesn't fit into the game - that's all. Lots of things Don't Make Sense here. 

Anyway, how would you balance Honey if you made it last forever? I suppose you could make the stuff fill no hunger when plain, but we're throwing out a novelty at the cost of gameplay.

Consider that all hostile creatures are found in areas where food isn't dense. Does that make sense? Not really. There's already novelisation that doesn't make sense in Don't Starve. But hey, give your recommendation and we'll discuss it. 

Honey cannot spoil because it cannot mold. Honey cannot mold because it's molecular structure if glucose without water microscopic living organism cannot live inside honey. In order for mold to grow it needs oxygen and water just like us. And honey is so dense that the 2 necessities for honey are not present. So therefore honey can't spoil. But given the fact in Don't Starve honey is no properly stored and the fact that bees still live after stinging you multiple times, if safe to assume the genetic makeup of the honey created by these hybrid bees are not the same as ours. Also the reason honey heals you so good in the game is because if rubbed over a wound it will stop the spread of living organism spreading infections. Fun Fact for you guys.

Archived