Base Improvements from Giant Drops

So the Deerclops will drop its eyeball, which can be used to craft the Eyebrella or the Houndius Shootius.

In comparison, the other giants' drops seem pretty lackluster. I suggest that the drops (or combinations of them, to keep parallel with Houndius Shootius) be usable to craft base improvements (in addition to their wearable/consumable item), such as the following:

Dragonfly:

- craft an improved ice fling-o-matic, that, when placed, creates a bubble in which fires can't start.

- @MeingroessterFan 's idea of a more permanent bird for the birdcage, the phoenix (maybe you burn the item from the dragonfly to get phoenix ashes or something?)

- a barrier that can be placed on a structure, preventing just that structure from being damaged/destroyed

- bee smoker: like a firepit, but emits smoke when fueled, and prevents bees from coming out of bee boxes when you harvest (puts all bees to sleep as well?)

Bearger:

- A permanent tent that warms you up when you sleep in it (fur-lined tent) -- or maybe has to be "recharged" like farms, but with beefalo wool or something

- Spiked wall (using the claws or something) that damages enemies that bump into it

- Scarehound: scary structure that drains sanity when you're nearby, but will also cause hounds to flee if they get too close

- Wolf's clothing: armor slot item that make hounds non-hostile and allows them to be tamed

Goose:

- A rain stick, can be used to cause rain (consumes nightmare fuel, sanity, and health perhaps, like Codex Umbra but not semi-permanently)

- Bird coop: you can place birds in it and they will produce one egg per week per bird (max 6 birds), but contained birds don't spoil

- Feather tickler: can tickle beefalo into pooping (subject to same cooldown as pigs, perhaps)

... and that's all I can dream up right now.

One thing that I think is important is that it's really not terrible if the thing you craft is OP, as long as it's fun. I mean, the Houndius Shootius is pretty OP, but at that stage of the game you're probably not having any trouble surviving. That being said, I'm sure some of these ideas are too strong in ways that could be counterbalanced or tweaked to make them more in line with the Houndius Shootius.

A lot of good ideas

I usually try not to resurrect page 2+ threads, but rezecib had some really good ideas here and I definitely agree the current giant drops are anything from sort of meh to totally underwhelming.  

Those were all good ideas, though I think clearly some would take fewer ingredients (bee smoker, spiked wall, feather tickler) and some more, including combos of giant items (phoenix = Moose feather + dragonfly scales + tallbird egg,  heat tent = dargonfly scales + bearger pelt,  Permanent flinger = deerclops eye + guardian horn+3 blue gems)

Props on the scale of the giant feather though.  Summer is rife with huge items!

I like symmetry, so after having thought about it for a bit I think out of these ideas I'd like it most if it were something like this:

phoenix egg = dragonfly scales + gmoose feather + tallbird egg (I like the balance of that, @brummbar7 !)

permanent structure protection or flinger = gmoose feather + bearger pelt + [10 marble or 3 blue gems]

heat tent = dragonfly scales + bearger pelt + 4 bunny puffs

(the symmetry is that each one is a different combination of two new giant drops)

That being said, if giant drops don't get improved in some way like this by release, I'd consider making it a mod, although I would probably need some help, particularly with texturing/animation.

300 more times. In separate posts. And at least 100 separate threads. AND YOU HAVE TO USE 48 POINT FONT!

How about no?

AND THEY ARE LAME AS HELL!

Shut up. The items were decided to be like that by devs and there's nuthing u can du about it :p

Shut up. The items were decided to be like that by devs and there's nuthing u can du about it :razz:

So the devs SHOULDN'T give us a good reason to kill the giants?

You know, it's not like bosses need rewards to make them worth killing, or anything like that.

And items/ things in the game in the past have NEVER been changed due to community feedback... never ever. (Piggy back, Krampus, Webber, every character before the re-balance, Miner hat...  I could go on and on with this)

A little to OP. The current giant drops take the struggle out of the next season to much. I like the idea of drops improving your base.

A little to OP. The current giant drops take the struggle out of the next season to much. I like the idea of drops improving your base.

How many times do I have to tell people -_-

THE ITEMS DROPPED FROM THE GIANTS ARE SUPPOSED TO HELP YOU GET THROUGH THE NEXT SEASON!!!

If this was implemented, you could craft those items if you want help in the next season. Nothing will change should you want to use the Eyebrella, Scalemail, Hibearnation Vest or the Down Thermantidote.

Shut up. The items were decided to be like that by devs and there's nuthing u can du about it :razz:

If that is true, this suggestion forum wouldn't exist.

How many times do I have to tell people -_-

THE ITEMS DROPPED FROM THE GIANTS ARE SUPPOSED TO HELP YOU GET THROUGH THE NEXT SEASON!!!

Is it absolutely confirmed that they're supposed to do this? Are they for some reason only allowed to do this? They're boring and lame and defeat the purpose of the update- surviving the new weather- by attempting to trivialize it. I don't like this, and I made a thread about it that got enough attention for me to conclude that a sufficient amount of people are displeased with this.

Anyway, feedback for the items listed:

Dragonfly:

The improved ice-flingomatic is interesting, but it shouldn't come from the dragonfly. If it'd use bubbles, it should come from the spring creature; if it's more ice, then the deerclops. The bubble idea seems a bit weird, I don't know how it'd look. I like the idea of an extended range ice flingomatic that doesn't put out fire pits/endothermic fire pits.

I like the pheonix, but it should perhaps have some downfalls. Maybe it does need some food, but at a much slower rate? Maybe something can cause it to go mad and escape? Maybe it doesn't die without food, but it'll get mad and try to start anything too close to it on fire if it's hungry? Maybe it'll be extra volatile in the summer or something? One or two of those'd do.

Permanent barrier is a bit OP for sure, I'm not a fan. The bee smoker is a bit OP, too, but I like the idea of a smoker tool that can be used to hit a bee to pacify them. Bees coming out and attacking are one of the balancing mechanisms for beeboxes, you can't simply introduce a catch-all that does away with that.

Bearger:

Permanent tent: Probably not, no. The idea of a warming tent seems interesting, but I'm not a fan of anything powerful and permanent, the beefalo fur isn't too rare enough to counteract.

I like the spiked wall, as long as its damage isn't crazy and it has durability. Maybe it could be repaired with hound's teeth for a small amount and bone shards for a larger amount? Maybe damage could be somewhat proportional to how much durability the wall currently has?

The scarehound keeping the hounds away is definitely OP. Maybe if it just slowed them down or something, and the sanity aura were large enough it'd be okay.

The wolf's clothing is definitely a no for me. Hounds are an important mechanic, and completely twisting them around is way too much.

Goose/Moose:

I like the idea of a rain summoning item, don't know if it should be portable/a structure or whatever, but it could work.

The bird coop is okay, I do like the idea of it based more on getting more eggs at once, but at a longer time interval. Maybe it could still require food, but the birds wouldn't die without food: they'd just go on a "hunger strike" or something. The consequence being that you still need to feed them, and they start producing once you feed them if they've been empty, so you still have a week to wait if you're neglectful.

The feather tickler seems a little useless, maybe it could have more uses than forced defecation? 

Ye, because the devs never changed anything the community didn't like. *coughwebberpatchcough*

Well, I like the way they put the special drop items from the giants. Wouldn't you want something for next season from a giant, if you weren't prepared for the next season?

Is it absolutely confirmed that they're supposed to do this? Are they for some reason only allowed to do this? They're boring and lame and defeat the purpose of the update- surviving the new weather- by attempting to trivialize it. I don't like this, and I made a thread about it that got enough attention for me to conclude that a sufficient amount of people are displeased with this.

Anyway, feedback for the items listed:

Dragonfly:

The improved ice-flingomatic is interesting, but it shouldn't come from the dragonfly. If it'd use bubbles, it should come from the spring creature; if it's more ice, then the deerclops. The bubble idea seems a bit weird, I don't know how it'd look. I like the idea of an extended range ice flingomatic that doesn't put out fire pits/endothermic fire pits.

I like the pheonix, but it should perhaps have some downfalls. Maybe it does need some food, but at a much slower rate? Maybe something can cause it to go mad and escape? Maybe it doesn't die without food, but it'll get mad and try to start anything too close to it on fire if it's hungry? Maybe it'll be extra volatile in the summer or something? One or two of those'd do.

Permanent barrier is a bit OP for sure, I'm not a fan. The bee smoker is a bit OP, too, but I like the idea of a smoker tool that can be used to hit a bee to pacify them. Bees coming out and attacking are one of the balancing mechanisms for beeboxes, you can't simply introduce a catch-all that does away with that.

Bearger:

Permanent tent: Probably not, no. The idea of a warming tent seems interesting, but I'm not a fan of anything powerful and permanent, the beefalo fur isn't too rare enough to counteract.

I like the spiked wall, as long as its damage isn't crazy and it has durability. Maybe it could be repaired with hound's teeth for a small amount and bone shards for a larger amount? Maybe damage could be somewhat proportional to how much durability the wall currently has?

The scarehound keeping the hounds away is definitely OP. Maybe if it just slowed them down or something, and the sanity aura were large enough it'd be okay.

The wolf's clothing is definitely a no for me. Hounds are an important mechanic, and completely twisting them around is way too much.

Goose/Moose:

I like the idea of a rain summoning item, don't know if it should be portable/a structure or whatever, but it could work.

The bird coop is okay, I do like the idea of it based more on getting more eggs at once, but at a longer time interval. Maybe it could still require food, but the birds wouldn't die without food: they'd just go on a "hunger strike" or something. The consequence being that you still need to feed them, and they start producing once you feed them if they've been empty, so you still have a week to wait if you're neglectful.

The feather tickler seems a little useless, maybe it could have more uses than forced defecation? 

They didn't say it, but they surely did show it. Btw, tl;dr :p I don't want to read all that rage you wrote there, cause I already see what you did there XD

Well, I like the way they put the special drop items from the giants. Wouldn't you want something for next season from a giant, if you weren't prepared for the next season?

No i'd prefer something unique and awesome, that doesn't make the immediate next season easier (something like the Houndicus Shooticus). After all the whole point of the DLC besides the Giants and making the game harder is the seasons, and trivializing them seems like the wrong way to go in my opinion.

No i'd prefer something unique and awesome, that doesn't make the immediate next season easier (something like the Houndicus Shooticus). After all the whole point of the DLC besides the Giants and making the game harder is the seasons, and trivializing them seems like the wrong way to go in my opinion.

^This. I don't mind having the items we have now as an option, but I surely would be disappointed if they were all we could get from the giant drops.

They didn't say it, but they surely did show it. Btw, tl;dr :razz: I don't want to read all that rage you wrote there, cause I already see what you did there XD

...you see what I did there? I don't.

TL;DR: I gave my opinions on the various items suggested by OP. Read them.

@ConeyKrab

- regarding op's improved flinger, I don't think he was suggesting a literal bubbles or bubbles.  I think what he meant was fires could not start within a certain range, period.  Right now a flinger can be overwhelmed by too many fires in it's range.  Personally I'd settle for a flinger that still targeted fires but never needed refueled.  I think that would be a fair trade for two giant drops.  You can only fit so much stuff in one flinger.    I wish the G'Goose dropped antlers, and  you could use them to make a flinger that can shoot like 4 or 6 snowballs at once, with the antlers being the spinning part, and a snowball on the tip of each 'branch'.  That'd be great!  but I think we're locked into the feather drop at this point.

- Phoenix - Again, I think two giant drops is plenty fair for a bird that doesn't need fed.  If it needs limited, just make it so it will only give X number of eggs per day max, rather than however many meats you can stuff down it's throat.

- Barrier for Structures - I have before suggested there should be fireproof plating for structures, using thulicite.  If one is willing to use the dragonfly's scales then I'd say being immune to destruction is also fair.  Except the shootius.    That includes your own destruction though, so make sure it's where you want it!  I mean you're using a giant drop to make 1 structure impervious.  How could that possibly be OP?

- Beesmoker - I would consider this trivial enough to not even require a giant drop, provided that it has a durability.   You can already just use a beekeeper hat and suffer almost nil damage, assuming you don't just outrun them straight up.  And in winter you can harvest the honey and they don't even react.  And it should be hand-carried, not a fire pit.  If it takes a giant drop it damn well better act like a spider hat for bees.

- Fur Tent - I'm not sure I'd call that suggestion OP.  You pretty much going to have it at your base, so you'll already have a fire pit, so the warming isn't really all that awesome, except that it's unfueled.  I don't usually have tons of fuel problems anyway.    So it'd be basically a fire pit combined with a tent.  I'm assuming you'd get the sanity gain and hunger loss in line with how tents work, tweaked for balance.    But I never use tents, I'd rather do things at night, so I'm not sure I'd use this tent, because I'd lose an entire night, which is a lot of time in winter.

- spiked wall - would be fun, but I'm not wild about it.  Unless it uses dragonscales and is therefore impervious to damage AND also damages enemies.  I mean, how many dragonflies would you have to kill to get a useful enclosure anyway?

- hound stuff - this stuff I'm not wild about. 

- rain stick - doesn't seem to me like it should even require giant drops. 

- bird coop - would be nice but it's a bit redundant with bird cage, so probably a no-deal.  Plus it seems so mundane for using giant drops!

- I think the tickler idea would be hilarious, and some people might use it.  If only uses 1% per poop, that would save a lot of time for someone that's really into farming.   It could also be used to tickle the pig king for gold.  His animation already just about looks like laughter anyway.  Tickle glommer for glommer goop.   Tickle Krampus for a 5% chance he'll drop his sack (that takes 33% durability per use).  Tickle giants to make them lose aggro.  Ok maybe that's too much tickling.  I thought that was a pretty creative idea though overall. 

really aside from the hound stuff I liked all those ideas in principle.  It was more ideas than I had come up with.

@ConeyKrab @brummbar7

-Improved flinger: the idea I had in mind was like a "shield bubble" type of thing. The main reason I thought it would be nice is because then you'd be able to easily see its actual range.

-Phoenix: even with no drawbacks, it'd just be restoring pre-RoG functionality for birds, at the cost of some very difficult-to-acquire ingredients. I think it'd be cool to have drawbacks for it though, but ideally ones you wouldn't have to worry about all the time. I like the idea of it being volatile in summer-- maybe it can set nearby things on fire during the summer, or can disappear for summer (turn into a pile of ashes).

-Structure barrier: Yeah, I think protecting one structure isn't that strong even. Houndius Shootius technically isn't a structure (instead a creature), I believe, but I agree protecting that would be overpowered. I was thinking more like protecting chests, alchemy engines.

-Bee smoker: if this sounds overpowered to you, then I think you need to experiment a little more with bee boxes :p. My experience with bee boxes is that I almost never get hit by bees, but it's still annoying to run away every time. All the bee smoker would do is remove that annoyance, allowing you to harvest the honey a bit faster.

-Fur tent: balancing it would really only lie in determining the amount of fur required to recharge it. At one extreme, you could have it require a bunny puff each time. At the other, one beefalo fur. Personally I think 2-3 beefalo fur (per night) is fair.

-Spiked wall: It's neat, but it feels kind of out-of-place to me (even though I suggested it xD). Just doesn't seem to fit with Don't Starve, I guess.

-Scarehound, wolf's clothing: yeah, I'm not too crazy about these either, but I don't think they're too strong. By the time you've killed two giants you probably have a tooth trap field and thus hounds are completely trivial anyway. I know in my worlds I usually have a 5x5 tooth trap field at least before I've even seen a giant.

Pretty much agree with your other thoughts. Maybe the tickler could also cause a single pig to aggro you? (STOP TICKLE!) That would allow meat farming from pigs that are in dense villages to be less gimmicky.

R u saying making yellow hounds that would hit give you lightning shock when they hit you and make lightning strike after dead make the game trivial? R u serious?

I wish the Eyebrella's eye was a light source, like an lantern (needing to refuel ofc to not make it too OP). That would solve my problem of keeping Weber sane underground in spring :) I need his head free for a sanity buff hat and hands free for umbrella so where does the portable light source go ?

I wish the Eyebrella's eye was a light source, like an lantern (needing to refuel ofc to not make it too OP). That would solve my problem of keeping Weber sane underground in spring :-) I need his head free for a sanity buff hat and hands free for umbrella so where does the portable light source go ?

Cool idea actually. Would give a point to that weird eye on top of the umbrella. I still don't get why that's even there.

Archived