Suggestion: Phoenix

Note: I updated this post with some new ideas that came to me after I originally posted it.

So, here's the deal: In the DLC, birds starve to death in birdcages. That makes me and many other people really sad. Since they die so fast, they aren't a reliable converting station anymore, because whenever you leave your camp for a while, you will find nothing but a feather left. So I thought about how to implement another system that would add a reliable, non-starving bird but that also isn't too cheap (like the original birdcage system was, lets be honest here).

Ladies and scientists, I present you: The phoenix. No, not pelontrix.

He will only appear during summer, since as a fire bird, we wouldn't be very fond of the cold. He will randomly land in your surroundings like normal birds would, so you have a chance to spot him and thus learn of his existance. However, he cant be caught normally with traps. To signify that, he will occasionally land close to baited traps, slightly hop towards it, and then fly away in panic. If you try to attack him during that period, he will attack you once and fly away, maybe with a fire breath that sets your surroundings on fire; he will be immune to sleep darts and panflutes, so it will be impossible to catch or kill him normally.

So, in order to actually do catch him, you will need a crock pot, a dragonfruit, and a special drop from the summer giant. (we don't know what that will be yet, but hopefully it will be something that slightly makes sense to be cooked.) You cook those two up together and bait a trap with the resulting food. Now the phoenix will go for it and get caught in the trap. But beware! The trap will burn up, so you will have to be right there to pick the bird up. Whilst in your inventory, he will slightly burn-damage you, so you better hurry to your bird cage!

Once you place him in there, he will function just like a normal bird, except that he doesn't die of starvation. When winter starts though, he will burn up to a pile of ashes and stay like that in your birdcage. You can turn him back to his normal state by feeding him a dragonfruit, however, if it is still winter, he will quickly burn up again. His transformation will only be permanent if it is late spring or summer again, at which point he will stay in his functional state until the next winter begins.

(Edit: Thinking over it again, since getting the bird would require a dragonfly drop, and all he would do would be just like a normal bird except not starving, I'd say that we can scrap the winter death mechanic and just have him functional all the way through.)

These are the ideas collected so far, I will be adding onto it if somebody has some great ideas of their own.

I think it's an all right idea. Nothing that I'm going crazy over because I think eventually I'm going to be able to deal with my birds dying but it would be quite a cool feature. However I do think one dragon fruit isn't that expensive. Maybe we should have to get an item from the dragonfly along with a dragon fruit or two, you are creating a phoenix after all. Make it a bit more challenging to get it. That's my feedback/opinion.

Hmm, that's a fair point. We'll probably have to wait for what the dragonfly is like. Maybe to add additional challenge, the phoenix will only be momentarily stunned by the trap, and then it will burn away, so you have to be there and pick him up right away, and having him in your inventory will damage you aswell.

This Phoenix thing is a good idea bro. But only catching a legendary bird who lives since, say, more than 100 years? It won't be stupid and rush in your trap.
I think that attracting him (with Dragon Fruits for exemple) and trying to pet it could be a better idea.

Iunno, it might have lived hundreds of years, but it's still just a bird. It wants to eat. But petting it sounds interesting too, though I'm having a bit of a hard time imagining how that would work in-game. Maybe offering it dragon fruits for a couple of days until it trusts you? And then grabbing it and locking it in a cage?

Well, keeping it in a cage is the main idea here.
But I was thinking about peting the phoenix and allowing it to follow you in order to warn you during winter and fighting for you, and in return you will have to protect it from rain and feed it. It could even act like a portable firecamp.
Obviously, it's a phoenix, so if it dies, it will eventually rebirth (with an item or after a set anmount of dies, or only in summer, for exemple) but it will lose its faith in you and will run away... And you will have to pet it again.

Anyway, I love this idea. Even if the phoenix is not added in the game I hope a modder will code it.

I misread the title as Plenotrix it's coming!!!!

I like the idea c:

Thanks! c: But can someone fill me in... what is this Pelontrix thing about? I've heard people talk about it, but I still have no clue what it means and where it came from.

Well, keeping it in a cage is the main idea here.

But I was thinking about peting the phoenix and allowing it to follow you in order to warn you during winter and fighting for you, and in return you will have to protect it from rain and feed it. It could even act like a portable firecamp.

Obviously, it's a phoenix, so if it dies, it will eventually rebirth (with an item or after a set anmount of dies, or only in summer, for exemple) but it will lose its faith in you and will run away... And you will have to pet it again.

Anyway, I love this idea. Even if the phoenix is not added in the game I hope a modder will code it.

When I read "protecting it from rain", I had that mental image of a phoenix with a tiny raincoat on. It's a lovely mental image.

Nice one xD

Not mine eh. I still have plenty of these.

I don't have RoG, so I don't know what's in it (And I don't want to be spoiled too much!) but I have heard that each season will have its giant... So, for you phoenix, what about spawning it after a special event, like killing a summer boss or summoning it with a crafted item? It could be even more challenging and rewarding.

Not mine eh. I still have plenty of these.

I don't have RoG, so I don't know what's in it (And I don't want to be spoiled too much!) but I have heard that each season will have its giant... So, for you phoenix, what about spawning it after a special event, like killing a summer boss or summoning it with a crafted item? It could be even more challenging and rewarding.

Boar head suggested earlier that in order to bait the phoenix, you'd need an item from the summer boss (who is fire related, so that makes sense), so I think that would be an acceptable amount of effort to be rewarded with a flaming bird.

Pelontrix was a myth created by Kevin. A noobie had made a post during the beta days of Don't Starve saying he saw something with pink fur behind a rock. Werepigs had a bug that would cause their fur to turn pink as they were turning and the pig's name was Pelontrix. Kevin commented on the post saying something along the lines of "Huh, Pelontrix? I thought I removed that creature from the game.." And it was never forgotten and is still mentioned to this day. Basically, the bigfoot of Don't Starve.

Pelontrix was a myth created by Kevin. A noobie had made a post during the beta days of Don't Starve saying he saw something with pink fur behind a rock. Werepigs had a bug that would cause their fur to turn pink as they were turning and the pig's name was Pelontrix. Kevin commented on the post saying something along the lines of "Huh, Pelontrix? I thought I removed that creature from the game.." And it was never forgotten and is still mentioned to this day. Basically, the bigfoot of Don't Starve.

HEROBRINE 2.0

Now I'll call those giant feet from the old bell Pelontrix.

Hmm... I've been thinking about the ways how you could catch it. Having a special item just revolving around the phoenix would be a bit overblown, it would only be a small part of the game with limited appliances after all. However, I had a clever little plan. You'll need:

-a crockpot

-a dragonfruit

-a special drop from Dragonfly (dunno what it will be)

You throw the dragonfruit and the Dragonfly into the crockpot, add some filler, and you will get a food item that you can use as a bait for the phoenix. You simply put it in a bird trap and keep your eyes on it, because when the phoenix lands in there, the trap will burn and he will easily escape. You'll have to quickly pick it up and move to your birdcage, because that little bastard burns you while you carry him. You put him in there, and there you have your invincible bird that dies during winter and can be revived in late spring.

A phoenix hmm

That's a really good idea

Really unique too

What was your inspiration

I wonder

Umm... I don't really know. I was just kinda sad that birds die in cages now, and thought, "Hm, how could they implement a bird that doesn't die", and just got to phoenixes from there :p

Umm... I don't really know. I was just kinda sad that birds die in cages now, and thought, "Hm, how could they implement a bird that doesn't die", and just got to phoenixes from there :razz:

Ah, it was a joke, I brought up the idea of a phoenix in a recent thread. :p No worries buddy. :D

Archived