Hey forum,

I hought about new playable characters for Don't Starve. Then I imagined it would be realy cool, if you could unlock Charlie as a playable character by transforming her back from the night monster into a human.

You may could unlock her by comleting the Adventure mode with Maxwell. Then he sacrifices himself for Charlie, so that he becomes the night monster and Charlie becomes a human.

Charlie may has some cool abilities left from her time as the Grue.

What is your opinion?

Feel free to make suggestions about that and to advance my ideas.

If I wanted Charlie implemented I would want it to be its own DLC. Not just a beat adventure mode with Maxwell. And of course since she is the night monster it would have to be done right or else it will break all the story.

Lore wise I don't think it would work out very well, because all the angst and regret Maxwell feels for Charlie sort of disappears if he can just switch places with her. This would also imply that the "Grue" would work differently after Maxwell becomes it, since it's a different person. And I have no idea how that would work.

There is also the problem of making Charlie stand out against the other characters, offering a different way to play that is different than the current characters without making her OP.

I do agree that it's a good idea to push you through adventure mode again with Maxwell seeing as you don't really have any reason to unless you haven't unlocked Wes yet.

In all honesty I can see this working as a mod or as @Zeklo said as a separate DLC rather than tacked onto RoG; we're already getting 2 new characters already.

Yes, lorewise it would not be a viable option, Maxwell becoming the monster is actually a really nice idea though. I approve the general opinion, she should be a playable character as long as there is a good lore-wise explanation to justify it

Hey forum,

I hought about new playable characters for Don't Starve. Then I imagined it would be realy cool, if you could unlock Charlie as a playable character by transforming her back from the night monster into a human.

You may could unlock her by comleting the Adventure mode with Maxwell. Then he sacrifices himself for Charlie, so that he becomes the night monster and Charlie becomes a human.

Charlie may has some cool abilities left from her time as the Grue.

What is your opinion?

Feel free to make suggestions about that and to advance my ideas.

I agree with what others have said, that it's a really cool idea, but having her as a playable character would have to have some lore behind it and other changes. And as you mention, expansion on the original idea...

What if she were sort of like Woodie, but tweaked of course... my premise would be to begin by making her an average person with a shadow side we have to overcome. To start, her character is the original Charlie, not the night monster. Perhaps during daytime she loses sanity, during dusk she's neutral, and during night she gains sanity. Proximity to light sources (which she would need to have to remain alive and/or travel around at night, of course) also drains sanity. The Grue still exists when it's dark, however. Even though Charlie is the Grue in regular gameplay, her character doesn't embrace or become it, it's a separate entity that she doesn't understand. Unless it's a night with no moon at all, then she transforms and it's a rampage.

But wait! This isn't just a cheap exploit of Woodie, there's more. Certain mechanics are altered also. For example, in daytime, she can't attack anything even if she has a weapon equipped, but during dusk/night, she can use them, and during nighttime specifically, her attacks are more powerful. Or maybe her weapons stay the same as everyone else, but she can kick/punch things with more damage during nighttime. She has dietary restrictions of some sort also. I mean, a secret night monster isn't necessarily gonna gobble up your fruits and veggies, right? Or maybe it does, but for less regen. Maybe she's super-OP with health in the Ruins, slightly less-so in Caves, and weak above-ground... the closer to a light source she is, the more her powers are reduced.

That's all I've got for now :joyous:

I mean, a secret night monster isn't necessarily gonna gobble up your fruits and veggies, right?

I'd actually like it the other way around. She feels guilty for all the living things she has killed and gets either a massive sanity drain when she eats meat or can't eat it at all.

Archived