Wolrd generation setting: Wildfires

I've been looking through my folder containing all the screenshots from my bases I've built in the past and I've realized that with RoG I won't be able to reach the same kind of "complexity" and size as before because of the random Wildfires during Summer.

You see, I always got my biggest satisfaction from building more than decent sized camps but I'm afraid this won't be possible anymore once the dlc releases. I am aware that we'll be able to roll out worlds with the vanilla game but I would love to have all the new things coming with the dlc minus the wildfires part.

Therefore I would like to suggest adding a setting such as Wildfires in the world generation panel which would allow us too switch it ON or OFF. You might think that Summer would be nerfed too much, whelp, I don't think so, because the heating mechanic would still be there and the only building which wouldn't have a use would be the Flingomatic (actually one could still build it to cool off while near it if I'm not mistaken). Not to mention that one could just leave the setting ON if he so wishes.

So yeah, a Wildfire setting would be great. :-)

edit: Woot, typo in the thread title *World not wolrd

edit2: Or another suggestion would be to make buildings capable of getting on fire or not, this being done with a similar setting in the world generation panel. This way plants and trees and what not could still catch fire in the summer and the Flingomatic would keep its' use.

I've had the same thought regarding those folks that like to build elaborate nice looking bases (which includes me).  I don't think a setting for just structures would be enough.  When I do a base I like to plant it nice with berry bushes, flowers, etc.  I'm assuming others like to do the same.  SO I think the setting for spontaneous combustion should be all or none.

Beyond that, I'm really hoping that in the final version there is an uber-structure which is basically a permanent flingomatic.  Something like the houndius shootius, but will put out fires on the whole screen, and never needs refueled.   Presumably it would use giant drops though, since you're pretty much limited to four guardian horns per world.  And honestly getting 1 is tedious enough.  If you like to build TRULY huge multi-screen bases maybe that still wouldn't be enough, but my base (the part I really care about the looks of anyway) usually maxes out at 2 screens.     If you would use such a structure, you could strike something of a balance, in that your base could be kept permanently secure from fire, but you'd still have the fire risk outside of it.

Heh, stop it with the puns KidneyBeanBoy you... :lemo:

I am surprised that nobody suggested this before to be honest.

...  I don't think a setting for just structures would be enough.  When I do a base I like to plant it nice with berry bushes, flowers, etc.  I'm assuming others like to do the same.  SO I think the setting for spontaneous combustion should be all or none...

I don't mind an off/on option for the entire wildfires just as I wouldn't mind coming with a simple strategy of building my plants and trees somewhat farther away from by base around one or two Flingomatics. In the end, and on a second thought, I think it all comes down to the chances of my buildings catching fire. I believe it's fine if they are flammable, however I'm not fine with the very high chances of them getting on fire because of random wildfires during summer.

Either the buildings being fire resistant as before and wildfires ON, or buildings being flammable and wildfires OFF (Fire Hounds and possibly the firefly giant could still be a danger to buildings). Either one of these two would make me happier. :-)

Maybe it would, and maybe for some players it would be just what they want for a simple option to turn it ON/OFF at the world generation screen. Personally I would turn such a setting OFF when I would want to build large and nice looking bases.

Actually, it wouldn't be like a reversed winter if buildings wouldn't catch fire but wildfires would still start randomly. In this case I would come up with the simple strategy of placing the saplings near my base around flingomatics.

Wouldn't summer essentially turn into a reverse winter then?

Default should be to have all things spontaneously combust.  Anything else is custom.  I don't see why anyone would care at that point.  It serves the needs of extreme base builders without impinging on the hardcore players' pure DS experience.

Default should be to have all things spontaneously combust.  Anything else is custom.  I don't see why anyone would care at that point.  It serves the needs of extreme base builders without impinging on the hardcore players' pure DS experience.

Sounds good then. And I assure you, I am in no way a hardcore player.

Summer is reverse winter already......

Not really, as there are random fires, faster food spoilage, withering plants which take a while to get back to normal, and with the new dragonfly, lava spitting. Overall, it's not due to wild fires as the rest are pretty minor as of now without the dragon fly, which can be compared to the base destruction caused by a deerclops..

Archived