Suggestion: Sickness

Just a little stuff. There should be 2-3 types of illness:

Cold

You get this kind of illness when your body temerature drops to the absolute minimum or rarely when your wetness reaches 75%. Lasts for max. 20 minutes. Wigfrid is immune to this.

Cons: Decreases maximum health and hunger; Drains sanity slowly

Pros: Reduces starvation rate by 25-50%

Also, this should increase the players's body temperature over time (fever).

Heat stroke

Less common. Only strikes the player at 0 wetness and absolute maximum temperature. Lasts for few minutes. Willow is immune to this.

Cons: Decreases maximum health and sanity; Drains sanity much more rapidly; Makes held tools wet (sweat)

Pros: NOPE.

Wigfrid should lose her natural damage protection in this state.

Nausea

New meter: Sickness

Eating monster meat, raw morsels, raw meat or spoiled food; getting hit by spitters and travelling through sick wormholes increases sickness. A great dose of meat and honey related food decreases sickness.

Occurs when the player's sickness reaches the maximum.

Cons: Insanity strokes may occur randomly; Drains sanity rapidly; Decreases every player stats' maximum

Pros: Getting insane randomly may be helpful sometimes.

I very much like the concept behind this idea, but I'm worried about how the actual application of this will effect the game. Just like how wetness really changed everything, I think adding a sickness meter would be a huge undertaking. Still, if it's done right, it would make the game that much more realistic and fun.

Because fire produces heat, and she can stand inside of a raging fire without getting a heatstroke. Why shouldn't she?

Actually, just like everyone else, if she stands in a raging fire her temperature will increase (and can lead to overheating depending on the world temperature).  She's immune to fire, not the products of the fire.

Actually, just like everyone else, if she stands in a raging fire her temperature will increase (and can lead to overheating depending on the world temperature).  She's immune to fire, not the products of the fire.

And I feel that part doesn't make a lot of sense game design-wise. If you have a fire-centric character, that character shouldn't suffer from fire-related things (and for all intends and purposes, heat is as closely related to fire as it can get). Either way, it's 1am where I am at, so I'll leave the discussion at that. Cheers.

And I feel that part doesn't make a lot of sense game design-wise. If you have a fire-centric character, that character shouldn't suffer from fire-related things (and for all intends and purposes, heat is as closely related to fire as it can get). Either way, it's 1am where I am at, so I'll leave the discussion at that. Cheers.

Should she be able to survive underwater (assuming you could go underwater in this game) without needing to breathe?

It's for balance, pure and simple.  If she were immune to heat summer would be basically a non-issue for her.   It was suggested that they would consider giving her some *resistance* to heat, however.  I guess it would be like Wilson's beard, in reverse.

It's for balance, pure and simple.  If she were immune to heat summer would be basically a non-issue for her.   It was suggested that they would consider giving her some *resistance* to heat, however.  I guess it would be like Wilson's beard, in reverse.

That would be fitting though if you ask me. Immunity to summer, and in turn greater vulnerability to winter. I just don't like the feel of putting an ice cube on the pyromanic character.

*nods* I believe Willow already had a harder time in Winter than the other characters, so making Summer easier for her would make sense to me.

Cold: we already get cold during winter

Heat stroke: we already get during summer

Nausea: we already have insanity

The game would be too hard if this is doubled, so I hope this is not going to be a thing.

Willow is immune to fire, not heat.  Please stop trying to make her immune to heat.

ETA: As for sickness though, I'd like it in the game.

Fire CONTAINS heat. I'd agree to have Willow an easy character during summer.

Fire CONTAINS heat. I'd agree to have Willow an easy character during summer.

Fire does NOT contain heat.  It produces it as a byproduct and nothing says Willow is immune to byproducts of fire.  The process of rusting has more in common with fire than heat does.

I actually agree with Willow not getting heat resistance, or if so, not very much. I would like to mention however that fire is basically heat. It's just air particles that are so excited that they glow and emit energy. Heat is the transfer of energy, and fire is the transfer of energy from air particles, so intrinsically, fire IS heat. Beyond that science lesson, I think that for the game to be more fun, Willow shouldn't be too overpowered and given heat immunity. She can be immune to fire though since that's her thing.

I actually agree with Willow not getting heat resistance, or if so, not very much. I would like to mention however that fire is basically heat. It's just air particles that are so excited that they glow and emit energy. Heat is the transfer of energy, and fire is the transfer of energy from air particles, so intrinsically, fire IS heat. Beyond that science lesson, I think that for the game to be more fun, Willow shouldn't be too overpowered and given heat immunity. She can be immune to fire though since that's her thing.

Fire is rapid oxidation.  It releases heat as a product but is not heat itself.  The energy was actually contained in the item being burned, all fire did was release the energy contained in the molecules.

I do like the idea of a sickness meter. This should probably be in a second DLC though. You could do it like this:

Sickness meter:

When it gets full, you get penalties until it drains out. This is a random* set amount of time, such as 1 to 3 days. It could get a different color plate when it's draining to signify sickness, and maybe the characters could have a sick look to them. If the meter is not full or you're not already sick, the fullness of the meter has no effect on your character.

Things that affect the meter:                                     ( s is for small impact, m is for medium impact, h is for heavy impact)

- Eating spoiled foods          s/m

- Eating monster meat and durians         s

- Getting hit by 'poisonous' creatures                h

- Getting too wet        m/h

- Getting too cold           m/h

- Getting too hot                   m/h

- Random events, like digging up graves, activating touch stones, or opening up chests in traps                    s/m/h

- Time of year                s

Penalties (may be dependent on character):

- Slower movement

- Food doesn't fill up as much hunger.

- Coldness immediately effects your health when first showing up at the edges of the screen

- Same for heat^

- Extremely slow health drain. Mitigated by eating normal amounts of food.

- Deal a lot less damage when fighting

- Negative effects to your sanity double

Fire is rapid oxidation.  It releases heat as a product but is not heat itself.  The energy was actually contained in the item being burned, all fire did was release the energy contained in the molecules.

I see your point, and I think our differences in opinion arise from what we each define fire to be. I see rapid oxidation to be a chemical process that creates an excess of heat as a byproduct, which we see as fire. (Fire being the heat, and the rapid oxidation being what releases the energy) You see rapid oxidation itself to be what fire is. I personally disagree with this, but I think it's a debatable topic. I'm not gonna claim to know everything. However, I do not think rapid oxidation is fire itself because a normal amount of oxidation is not fire, usually it's just rust. So there's a blurred line where you'd have to define how much oxidation results in it being called fire, which I don't think is very consistent or practical. I like the definition that simply excess heat in large enough quantity to produce light from air particles (which I "think" are a plasma at this point. I'm not positive) usually resulting from oxidation is fire. Again reasonably you could be right, but I still feel my definition is correct. Fire is such a vague term that it's hard to define.

To sum up shortly: I see fire as a result of heat, and you see heat as a result of fire.

Ahh ok. I can totally get that. Sorry if I was sounding obnoxious.

No, yours was the least obnoxious, as you actually thought things out more than others.  I'm sure my opposition would also say I'm more obnoxious than you.  Perhaps now my accidental hijacking can end and sickness can be discussed again.

Archived