Hollow Stump Stops Spawning Catcoons?

So I am playing as Wigfrid and I had a few Hollow Stumps around me. Before they would all spawn catcoons, but recently 2 of them now read "She fought bravely but alas, now she is gone" instead of the customary "cute meat lives here."  Why would this happen?

A catcoon has 9 lives, i.e. a Hollow Stump only respawns a catcoon 8 times.

(I wish I knew that before turning catcoon hunting into my morning exercise...)

I personally hate that, as I generally do finite things in a sandbox game, but that's how it works right now.

A catcoon has 9 lives, i.e. a Hollow Stump only respawns a catcoon 8 times.

(I wish I knew that before turning catcoon hunting into my morning exercise...)

I personally hate that, as I generally do finite things in a sandbox game, but that's how it works right now.

Hmm, I should stop getting mine killed then.

You would think on a small island, it would be rather hard to lose a catcoon all the time. But apparently, islands are the hot spots for pengull swarms.

too bad i build my base around 8 catcoon homes. They don't spawn anymore :( but on the other hand i got a lot of hats from them:)

Certainly if catcoons cease to have a respawn limit their loot needs to be nerfed. They are a too easy source of cat caps and clean meat right now (which makes sense, since they are finite).

Oh no...

It's old pig houses all over again.

Seriously... I didn't know that. Now I am down to two empty stumps and one that is down to only 1 left... I think they should have infinite (albeit slower) respawns.  If they really want to keep the 9 respawn thing it should be seasonal.  Like every fall and spring a new catcoon would arrive at take claim to the stump, making them a semi-reliable resource.

I kind of like the 9 lives idea. It makes you have to think about actually taking care of a living resource. Pig allies? You can just get more if they die. Chester? Respawns. Glommer? Full moon, get another. But the catcoons being a finite resources means you have to prioritise their safety if you want to keep them around.

I kind of like the 9 lives idea. It makes you have to think about actually taking care of a living resource. Pig allies? You can just get more if they die. Chester? Respawns. Glommer? Full moon, get another. But the catcoons being a finite resources means you have to prioritise their safety if you want to keep them around.

Its not right for sandbox game, you could do that with all other resources, but then you are forced to use the crappy teleportato and go to the new world. All resources should be renewable in some way so I'm not forced to make new world. Also the dangers should scale up with time survived in a world.

If they really want to keep the 9 respawn thing it should be seasonal.  Like every fall and spring a new catcoon would arrive at take claim to the stump, making them a semi-reliable resource.

Seriously, though. Every full year the 8 time respawner ought to be reset

I like it being limited.  If they're unlimited they definitely need to be tougher or have nerfed drops.    In another thread I suggested there should be a pile of 8 yarn balls in front of the stump to start with, and every time it spawns a new catcoon one ball of yarn is removed.  That way you could track how many are left.  Maybe you could 'repair' one spawn using a sewing kit, and it would entirely consume the sewing kit (and would not work unless the kit was at 100%).  That way a catcoon costs 2 hounds teeth and 8 webbing.   It might make people think about it still, since hounds teeth seem rarer now that winter hounds only show up 1/4 the year rather than 1/2.

I like it being limited.  If they're unlimited they definitely need to be tougher or have nerfed drops.    In another thread I suggested there should be a pile of 8 yarn balls in front of the stump to start with, and every time it spawns a new catcoon one ball of yarn is removed.  That way you could track how many are left.  Maybe you could 'repair' one spawn using a sewing kit, and it would entirely consume the sewing kit (and would not work unless the kit was at 100%).  That way a catcoon costs 2 hounds teeth and 8 webbing.   It might make people think about it still, since hounds teeth seem rarer now that winter hounds only show up 1/4 the year rather than 1/2.

I kind of like this idea, as it makes it difficult because you have to farm spiders and hunting hounds in the desert biome isn't always the safest of plans.  Though I think there should be natural regeneration every fall and spring as well.  If that were the case, the drops wouldn't have to be nerfed as much.  Mostly I'd say turn the cat hat into a craftable item and then have them drop something like catcoon fur that you used to make it.  See, it is weird since I always thought the respawn not as the same catcoon, but a member of a clan of catcoons living in the same stump.  But that is just me

my catcoons fight each other all the time. i have no choice but to watch them go extinct! its messed up

You could always try to build a wall between them? Idk if that would work, but it might be worth a shot.  

I wouldn't mind the stumps only spawning 9 catcoons, as long as we could collect an item from the stumps to create a manmade version (similar to beehives and honeycombs).  Or have some way of creating a new home with a fresh spawner.

I wouldn't mind the stumps only spawning 9 catcoons, as long as we could collect an item from the stumps to create a manmade version (similar to beehives and honeycombs).  Or have some way of creating a new home with a fresh spawner.

Or make a scratching post to place on top of the stump to attract hermit Catcoons? You could even make it display how many cat lives are left by making it deteriorate on Catcoon respawn.

i like this idea!! but the idea of creating walls like someone mentioned........ i aint got time for that!

i like this idea!! but the idea of creating walls like someone mentioned........ i aint got time for that!

Just some grass walls. Nothing crazy, it is just meant to act as a barrier between the two territories

Unlike pengulls and spiders ( Man I hate pengulls ), Catcoons will not attack your walls for no reason.

Spiders do because everyone would be using the bush hat to get close to the spider nest, then wall them up and farm spider queens.

Heya, just bought RoG and found a Hollow Stump with a catcoon around it. How do I pet it? I gave it feathers, it played the music of friendship (same as when you give meat to pigs) but it refuses to follow me. Do I need to give it something else?

Edit: It's just sitting still, not moving at all. Maybe it's a bug?

Archived