Wigfrid Guide/Feedback(Currently Gathering Info and Building)

Tonight I will have my first post of information about Wigfrid. I want to gather information first by having people post things in this thread before I put up my info. I will be coming back tonight to post my thoughts and putting up the guide along with info from what people post.

Things I would enjoy if people posted. Stats on her helm and Spear. How they compare to other weapons and how is the protection compared to other head ware in the game. Post any bugs you might have come across. Also talk about how you feel she does in the game is she Over powered, under, or do they have a good balance. What do you do to stay alive with her and what are your tactics. I fyou feel I missed anything make sure you add it in. 

I will be reading your post and if it works to be added in as info I will add it to my overall thread. Hopefully this thread will help with her overall development.

So far I am enjoying her(one of my favorite characters. I am about 25 days into survival with her and a only a few days into adventure mode. Survival is easy with her but seems like adventure mode can be a royal pain in the rear with her.

I like Wigfrid, she's going to be replacing Wickerbottom as my usual character now.

Her sanity and health regain after killing spiders are brilliant, and she is very much a character that naturally lends itself to werepig and jerky farming.

So far all I've noticed is that the battle helm's durability goes down pretty quick when tanking tentacles (Something like 10 hits and it's broken) and she seems to have a quicker attack speed with the battle spear (I've managed to k.o vultures without them getting a hit in)

That being said, I don't know alot about RoG yet, so I may be misinterpreting some of the things I've come across so far.

Protection wise I have no idea what the helm gives, but with log suit - I'd hazard a guess at it being better than the football helmet.

I find it easier having her use a hambat, although from initial use her battle spear seems to have a high durability.

She feels a bit OP in my opinion (As much as I'd like her to stay that way) With her health and Sanity regain after killing monsters it pretty much makes a Tent redundant, haven't had a single problem with her sanity dropping.

I've only had one play-through so far and I'm just going into winter but in the first few days:

Burn down a few trees, get charcoal.

Find atleast 2-3 spider dens near by to farm

^Use silk and charcoal to make boomerangs in order to k.o rabbits for small morsels

Find atleast 2-3 pig houses near by to farm

^Use monster meat from spider dens to werepig local inhabitants for large meats

Find chess pieces to get gears for icebox

^Store meat in icebox straight away

Find and kill Catcoons for large meats

Find a desert and use small morsel to tempt down vultures for another large meat

Follow any Koalefant tracks for even more large meat

And the beauty with it is, as the days go by, the spider dens go higher tier so you end up with more monster meat +hound attacks (And even if you've got a few hound mounds accessible, Wigfrid can easily take on 4-5 hounds there for a few extra monster meat and teeth each time)

Meanwhile using the pig skins, construct more pig houses near-by the farm...

-Also, by about day 10-15, construct some drying racks, just remember to harvest straight away and put into the icebox now that they start spoiling on the racks.

And Violá! Thats my strategy as of this moment.

I'm currently on day 21 starting winter with 6 drying racks of large meat and a whopping 28 large meats in the icebox (Come across two koalafants so far, pretty lucky playthrough)

-I'd actually like to see the sanity regain from killing kept as it is, but the health regain nerfed

@Kellyc764

Have you started adventure mode yet?

I will agree survive mode is pretty easy with her. But I just recently started adventure and that seems to be a weakness for her. Your really at the will of the environment until you can find a place to farm meat.

For spiders they are the perfect environment for her it seems. You can farm and eat the meat while gaining HP and sanity. It allows you to counter the negative effects of monster meat while gaining HP and and sanity at the same time. 

Well I for one think she's great, but she still has her drawbacks.

The fact that she only eats meat kinda makes you have to do more than just simple passive farming to get enough food to last the more severe seasons, but that gives more reason to hunt just about every koalephant you find.

One thing I do wish she would get is that she can eat monster meat without severe penalties, like maybe less sanity drain and no health drain when cooked or jerkied.

Even though her equipment is crafted with relatively cheap things, it means finding the pig king is very important for gold.

And the last thing, her "voice" seems a bit off, like it sounds more mechanical than human. Cool sounding, but maybe in a less hoarse sounding tone.

Things I would enjoy if people posted. Stats on her helm and Spear. How they compare to other weapons and how is the protection compared to other head ware in the game. Post any bugs you might have come across. Also talk about how you feel she does in the game is she Over powered, under, or do they have a good balance. What do you do to stay alive with her and what are your tactics. If you feel I missed anything make sure you add it in. 

First, stats and stuff have been posted by me and others on the wiki, but here it is:

Battle Spear - 200 uses, 42 damage (normal spear is 150x34, tentacle spike 100x51)

Battle Helm - 80% damage reduction, 750hp absorbed (football helmet is 80%, 450; beekeeper's hat is the same as battle helm, but only absorbs for bees)

She supposedly has an innate 25% damage resistance and 25% increased damage, but the increased damage is not working right now (takes three hits to kill a spider with the battle spear, should take two).

The health and sanity she gains from enemies is 25% of their attack damage; spiders deal 20 damage, so she gets 5/5 from them. This means that for any enemy (if she's wearing her helm), she can tank one hit and still gain 10% of their damage as health (a second hit results in a 5% loss).

As for whether she's OP... Once she gets established with a base an all every character does just fine, so I don't think that's a good criterion. Her early game is very back-and-forth in my experience. I'll be alternating between periods where there's too much meat for me to carry and periods where I can't find enough and am desperately searching for moleworms.

I'm still working on strategy for her. My usual strategy with most characters is to go around the coasts to get a rough map, then explore roads, then use that information to place my base in a good spot. Wigfrid doesn't really allow this, though, as you won't get enough meat just by going along the coasts.

Spring start especially is a little harder since you don't have the rabbit source of meat.  I've only had one world with her and I got lucky and found a spot i that's got a bunch of frog ponds, right next to mole worms, and all about a screen away from a savanna infested with beefalo.  Just move a pig village by the frogs, and you're pretty set for any season.  Like rezecib said, the 'explore all borders' start is more difficult with her.  But I still had it about 80% done by the end of spring.    I did set up base pretty early though as the frog-pond-beefalo combo was too good to pass up.

Her reduced sanity hasn't been an issue so far.  And all this apparently without a 25% damage increase she should be getting!  I think once that comes in she'll be one of my favs.  Reduced damage taken, increased damage given, and none of the hunger managmenet headaches of Wolfgang?  Yes please.  She'd be a bit more difficult if somehow she couldn't use vegetables in crockpot either.  But being able to still use 1 meat and 3 berries to make meatballs means once you have a crock pot, the meatatarian thing is not that big a deal.  It'll also be interesting to see how koalefant hunting plays out once the Warg is in.

Hey, I'll reference to the suggestion post I made on the forums :

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/32834-wigfrid-feedbackideas/

I was giving feedback on her and giving some ideas to improve her.

To sum up what's said on there, I was suggesting new abilities for her.

Mainly two new ideas to make her feel more unique and better emphasis her playstyle on combat.

The first is give her a spear throw ability. That would allow her to better hunt for meat and stuff. This could be limited in the sence that you could only do it once a day or that it would drasticly diminish her spear longevity. Any unique combat ability would be awsome as well, but I think that this is a good idea.

My other idea was to make lightning randomly hit her foes when she is fighting in the rain. It could be that when she hits an opponent in the rain with her spear, there is a small chance that the foe would be struck by lightning. The same could apply to her helmet while she gets hit.

Any new gameplay mechanic that would further emphasize her playstyle on combat or make her able to "hunt" more easily would be awsome. As long as it's not OP.

I'd also like to see her not be able to sleep. Besides fitting the caracter it would give her yet another big debuff that she'd have to compensate for by killing mobs. Any other drawback to her new abilities would be fitting as well. I woudn't want her to become easy mode. Just a proficient killing machine that put in the hands of a skilled player is unrivalled.

As for the strategy, I set up my base really near to a pig village, pig king , spiders nests and caves. I'm shamelessly butchering the whole pig village every couple of days and have more meats than I can count.

Her voice is the big draw back at the moment. I hate the instrument and it's wayy to loud.

@Kellyc764

Have you started adventure mode yet?

I will agree survive mode is pretty easy with her. But I just recently started adventure and that seems to be a weakness for her. Your really at the will of the environment until you can find a place to farm meat.

The new characters aren't meant to be balanced around adventure mode like the original characters. It's just something they aren't messing with too much in the DLC. 

@DemonDeus

Nope not yet. I actually have never played the adventure mode even after 6+ months of DS. Truth be told I can never find all the pieces for the door ¬_¬ Never had the gears to make the Divining rod and at best came across 4/5 pieces by luck.

The current thing that keeps passing my mind is since she's nordic/viking of some sort I would've expected her to have some resistance to the cold, however I'm unsure of what debuff you could add to balance this.

Thanks for the info on the battle helm and spear @rezecib I've been looking everywhere for that.

Truth be told I can never find all the pieces for the door ¬_¬ Never had the gears to make the Divining rod and at best came across 4/5 pieces by luck.

The door doesn't require any of that.  You just have to find it..  The teleportato needs those pieces, but that takes you to a new survival world, not adventure mode.

The door doesn't require any of that.  You just have to find it..  The teleportato needs those pieces, but that takes you to a new survival world, not adventure mode.

Well that certainly goes to show how much I know xD I'm still working up to adventure mode, one day I might try it, can't say I've missed Wes or Maxwell lol

Anyone know if she has any other debuffs aside from eating just meat? I noticed when using the normal Axe and Pickaxe that the durability went down pretty quick, although I'm not sure if thats to do with her being heavy-handed or they just don't last very long? (Show-off alert, always use gold tools lol)

I am loveing this thread and learning more here. Ya I will throw up my strategy later tonight. I Actually have not developed much of a base for her because of her abilities I am able to keep on the move and not worry about farming honey or spider sacks to try to keep my HP up.

This is one thing that makes her stand out to me is the ability to keep a steady run on the road. I feel during summer and winter she will be a cave explorer and spring and autumn will be the times to gather surface materials. I have not went though the season yet.

Well her abilities are best suited for camping near spider dens I find. Quick sanity and Health recovering from fighting them. You consider a level 1 spider den produces between 3-4 spiders a day, thats 15-20 sanity and health (Obviously providing you kill them pretty quick/in an orderly manner without sustaining much damage or being in their insanity aura for too long)

Now consider this, I have 2 level 3's near me, hopefully they'll become level 3's soon.

And at level 3 they produce 9 every day or so, so two of those will likely yield (Using the wiki drop rates of 18 spiders) :

10 Monster Meats

4 Silk

4 Spider Gland

And with Wigfrid's Sanity and Health recovery, thats also +90 Sanity gain and +90 Health

Not to mention, 10 monster meats, feed 2x4 MM's to pigs, and you've got yourself 4 Large Meats and two Pig Skins for a single days work.

Sorted! - Yet again, as mentioned thats if you deal with them in an orderly fashion and lure them out in small groups, otherwise the insanity aura of 9 spiders in one go may negate the Sanity Gain worth.

Another good idea if you can handle it is a base near or in a marsh.  I got lucky early and ran through one, and just running through and fighting a little here and there netted me a good deal of fish, frog legs, monster meat, silk, and spikes.  Also, a nice use for veggies/fruit is using three with a morsel for meatballs.

I personally set up camp in the new birch tree biome and use/kill catcoons for meat.  Even if they bring them down to droppin morsels it's still more than enough with meatballs.

Archived