Possible tweaks to Wigfrid's eating habits

I've been playing as Wigfrid for a bit and I've found her carnivore gimmick to be a bit mundane. Y'see she still seems to suffer sanity loss from eating raw meat, and I don't want to have to bust out a campfire just to cook and "purify" the meat. Therefore she should not suffer sanity loss from eating raw meat. As far as monster meat goes, it could either have no sanity loss or reduced. Now for not being able to eat non-meat items at all is kinda hard to take. Instead, she should either suffer sanity loss from eating it or only be able to when below a certain hunger level. She already has lower than usual sanity, and unless there are a lot of baddies nearby to kill, this becomes a lot harder to manage. I also think she should still be able to eat items like taffy, waffles, honey, and rot (she's kinda fail-safe from the player accidentally eating rot). Any fruit or vegetable ones though cause sanity loss when eaten, and maybe even reduced stats that would be the same as eating it spoiled.

The player still has use for vegetables either way since they can cook them into meaty stews, kabobs etc, which can let Wigfrid purify them for her eating, but eating them unprepared should just give her sanity loss. There's no force stopping her besides her own will, and with human survival instinct and all, they'll eat anything when they're that hungry. But since eating fruits and vegetables isn't comforting to her, it just results in sanity loss or mimics the same effect as eating it spoiled. This can still motivate the player to only eat vegetables in a pinch, but just be aware of the sanity loss from it. Meat is scarce when there isn't much to kill, so she won't have anything to kill to regain the sanity the player will lose either way.

If this means she needs to be re balanced, she should have a slight reduced walking speed too. Playing as her honestly reminds me of my old Jane Doe the Soldier mod, which had him with reduced speed so he was more of a tanking character. Wigfrid as of now does not deal as much damage as a full-bellied Wolfgang, this should remain as her fighting now is more protective and reward based, rather than killing enemies faster like Wolfgang.

I vote heck no on the reduced walk speed. Huge drawback, and just no fun to move across the huge map any slower.

I understand from the perspective of realism, a person that would sooner starve than eat berries is a stretch, but from the perspective of gameplay, Wigfrid's combat bonuses make aquiring meat easier. Allowing her to eat veggies (even with penalties), makes her too good at finding food.

I think it was covered pretty well back during the great character 'rebalance', that the characters are not supposed to be "balanced" per se.  They're supposed to be interesting, and different, and fun, each in their own way.  Some of the earlier ones address different problems players might have surviving (Wilson vs cold, Willow vs darkness, WX vs spoiled food)  Others are just different (Woody, Wolfgang, Wes, etc).   Right now she seems to me somewhat like Wolfgang used to be before the super-annoying hunger-strength mechanic was added (which put a dead stop to me playing Wolfgang).   She seems survivable, and so far I like her.   She'll make caves tougher though. 

And to reiterate Axegace, big NO on the reduced speed.  That is a huge and utterly constant drag in this game.  It's why (I think) basically nobody used the piggyback before, but now it sounds like people are using it since they reduced the speed debuff.

I'm not implying she needs reduced walking speed, that was just me pointing out how she reminds me of an old mod character i made, who had reduced walking speed. So far i just find it to be unfair that she can't eat non-meat items at all, and she still suffers sanity loss from eating raw meat. It makes eating when playing as her very taboo since you need to cook the meat to prevent the sanity loss. Usually when playing as other characters, i like to eat the berries or carrots straight away once i pick them, when my character is too hungry to wait to cook them. It would be better for players to also eat any meat as her right away after getting it, and not worry about sanity loss (unless it's monster meat)

I like her so far but I do wish she could eat (cooked) monster meat with less of a penalty. If you don't spawn in the right place it can be really hard to find meat early on, and with her buffs after killing monsters it just makes sense to me that she'd have a resistance to the penalty. It's hardly necessary but it would be nice.

However, I don't think she needs to be able to eat vegetables, that all makes it a bit too easy and defeats the entire purpose of her niche. If you want to eat vegetables then play another character imo.

Sorry but I disagree with almost everything you have said. First, every caracter has to cook food, it's not a big hassle and I don't see why it would be any different with Wigfrid. She'd be wayyy to OP if she had less a penality eating monster meat. It would maybe be OK if she coudn't sleep. Also, I like that she simply cannot eat vegetable. It forces you to process them threw the crockpot and combine them with monster meat to make meatballs.

Reduced walking speed is ridiculous. It's already sometimes long and tedious as is to walk around the map and it would nerf her combat abilities, she'd get hit wayyy to often and would become inneficient at combat.

I'd also give her a special and unique combat ability.

On a thread I made over here :

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/32834-wigfrid-feedbackideas/

I suggested to give her a spear throw ability (balance it out with less dammage and higher item degradation when thrown) and I think that's would be a wonderfull addition to the caracter. It would make meat slightly easier to get while giving her a unique dimension and unparalled hunting abilities.

I think she's fine the way she is, if anything she could probably do with having the health gaining when killing mobs nerfed.

I'd consider her an already easy character, meat is no problem with my play-style (If you're interested, I posted in this forum as to my little guide getting started with her: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/32875-wigfrid-guidefeedbackcurrently-gathering-info-and-building/

You can already add berries and carrots into crock-pot recipes with meat so I've heard, and since she starts with her own armour and weapon, she's pretty OP as it is. That being said being able to eat veggies wouldn't ruin her for me, but I like the challenge of meat only.

As to the having no mobs to kill to regain sanity, it's the same concept as many of the other characters:

WX-78 - Want to upgrade him? Go find the gears. if not, don't take advantage of his perk

Wickerbottom - Want to make/use books? Go find some reeds in the scary biome. If not, don't take advantage of this perk.

It's ample trade-offs with every character, so if you want to make the most of the Battle Character (As I have dubbed her xD) Then you need to set up somewhere close to mobs to kill.

My problem is that she isn't just restricted to "No Vegtables" but is instead restricted to "Nothing besides meat"

I found out the hard way when i tried to eat ice to prevent overheating in the summer.

I think she should be able to eat certain things (like ice) but with less benefits and a small sanity drain.

I don't know if it's changed, but the first day of the update as I was playing her I couldn't eat butterfly wings. Still not sure if I think she should be allowed to or not.

I think she's fine as is right now. People need to chill a bit and really dig into the game before looking at changes to non-bugged content.

I played as Wigfrid, and I couldn't tell if the powers were mundane to me or if this isn't my type of character. For example; I love Wendy, but I get bored of playing her for some reason. Abigale is not mundane to me, but I guess this play style just doesn't fit me.

For some reason I always end up playing as Wilson and Maxwell again. I think I love what they have to say the most, they are downright cool to me, and fit my play style (whatever that is).

I think she should be able to eat certain things (like ice) but with less benefits and a small sanity drain.

I would guess that to be an oversight that will be fixed.  But even if not, summer is still very survivable even if you can't eat ice.   I'd actually consider that a waste of ice atm.

I would guess that to be an oversight that will be fixed.  But even if not, summer is still very survivable even if you can't eat ice.   I'd actually consider that a waste of ice atm.

Well that was my first time ever getting to summer, so it was one of the few things i could actually think of to do to cool down.

My problem is that she isn't just restricted to "No Vegtables" but is instead restricted to "Nothing besides meat"

I found out the hard way when i tried to eat ice to prevent overheating in the summer.

I see your point, and as mentioned she can't eat butterfly wings either >.<

But I think the nothing but meat is still a good trade off for her buffs - Butterfly Wings heals what? 8? Pftt that's two spider kills and it's healed more =D

Although, I've been collecting mushrooms (Old habit from keeping wickerbottoms sanity afloat) and suddenly went to eat when I realised she couldn't eat them -_- Silly me.

Though I didn't know she couldn't eat ice! :o

Well, darn it xD But still, it's another challenge! :D

hates fruits and vegetables is better than only eating meat. I mean she should at least be able to eat ice, for a little tropical freeze. Guess we could call her a pickier eater than wickerbottom. Y'see i get how she's meant to only eat from what she gets from a fight, where things like carrots, mushrooms and berries don't require a fight. Basically if you wanna eat, you gotta work harder for it, i get that. As far as things like crockpot recipes, she should be able to eat most, even non-meat ones like taffy and waffles (who doesn't like waffles?), but will still hate ones like stuffed eggplant and fistful of jam (then again don't vikings like giant fruits and making them into jam, jello and popsicles?). She honestly currently reminds me of one of them gimmicky and horribly unbalanced mod characters from the workshop (i ain't gonna point any examples because i don't want to hurt feels.)

Archived