Jungle Biome Mod

Hey everyone! I am going to start on a jungle biome mod and need some ideas for it! (and if possible some help XD)

so far my current plans for this biome is to make it very cruel and punishing! (more than swamp biome) but at the same time very rewarding!

as things get finished I will release pictures inside this thread to show how well it's going!

What's been finished?

The biome now spawns in the world with slimey turf!

killer bee hives, spider dens, and ponds all spawn in the jungle biome!

post-306905-0-13208600-1394336471_thumb.

(minimap view of the current jungle build)

What's being worked on next?

making it spawn as a brand new world!

Here are my current ideas (+some other people's):

to get to the jungle you have to take a special plant like wormhole!

it will rain ALOT in the jungle

no summer

no winter

lots of insects ofcorse... so spiders, mosquitoes, and killer bees!

a new pond type that spawns all kinds of creatures around it! (frogs poison frogs mosquitoes 

scorbras (half scorpian half cobra) should attack randomly like hounds do

a special blow dart that has actual durability! (made from bamboo and uses darts used with scorbra venom)

special tropical birds

mango trees
mongo trees will grow VERY slowly and drop mangos from time to time
when fully grown and chopped down it will only drop 2 mango tree seeds
the previous size will only have 1 seed and any sizes before that will have 0 seeds
the mango tree will not grow all dead looking and then small again like evergreens do!
chimp-ish-type creatures will spawn near mango trees
(I need name and what they would actually look like...)
bigger the tree more chimps (first sizes = 0 final 3 sizes will spawn 1-3)
chimps will only attack you if you chop the tree or hurt them!
you can get them to follow you and attack things for you if you feed them a mango
they will eat the mangoes off the ground that drop from the tree!
they will not eat meat but if you feed them any veggie/fruit other than mangos they will just poop
mangos will be able to be used in 1 or more crock pot recipes!

big turtles (need name... probably just turtle.... won't be very original then! XD)
the big turtle will just slowly walk around and eat any type of vegetable on the ground
turtles will occasionally drop manure
turtles can get into heat and make babies just like beefalo
if you decide to fight a turtle it will be a pain in the neck!!
he will tank alot of damage and deal alot of damage and if any turtles are around they will help fight!
the big turtle will have a very good reward! and that's his shell... it will deflect lots of damage and you can hide in it just like the snurtle shell! you can also wear this to be in disguise when near the turtles in heat... an other upside to this is that it is a backpack! it has the same storage space as a piggy back but it will not slow you down...
turtles will also drop turtle meat which can be used in 1 or more crock pot recipes

Crocorillas
these guys are just like pigs, merms, and rabbit people! but they have their own special trait!
they will always attack you unless you have a croc hat (rare drop from a crocodile gorilla) when wearing the hat they will only attack you if vegetables are in your inventory! if you feed them they will follow you just like a pig or bunnyman would... if you take your hat off or pick up a veggie while he is following you he'll stop following you out of loyalty it'll be to kill you!
crocodile gorillas will drop croc meat which can be used in 1 or more crock pot recipes!

bamboo tree
drops bamboo which can be used to craft special things! (don't know what yet...)

Jungle Oak
a tree that grows slow but grows VERY tall! will give you lots of wood but will also drop alot of scorbras on you!
scorbras will just instantly start fighting you and won't leave you alone until one of you die!
scorbras will drop venom which can be used for a special thing! I will have to figure that thing out...

a plant type boss (need name)
spawns from flower that grows only 1 every once in a while when you pick the flower she spawns!
need to figure out what she'll look like and what powers she will have to fight you!
the plant you pick will be used to craft a special item! (I will figure it out soon)
when killed she will drop living logs veggie meat and a special item you can only get by killing her (don't know what yet)

veggierock (need a better name than that...)
a rock that very slowly regenerates itself after mined the rocks that drop from it will be used to make walls, tools, and armors!

Underground Jungle Temple
one of these will spawn randomly in your jungle it will have a teeny bit of thulecite in it but it will be it's very own historic civilization that was buried years before the ruins that you find under the caves!
they will have tons of secretly hidden booby traps and a special science machine that will show you how to build some really unique items! (like booby traps and other things)
they will be brutally hard and be full of tribal mummy zombies! and have a guardian boss of it's own!
(need some unique ideas to make the jungle temple different from the ruins and rewarding and painful!)

El Gran Martillo!
The guardian of the Jungle Temple!!!
he will have 4 hammers for arms (2 on his sides and 2 on his chest and back)
he will love to spin as fast as he can.... hit you in the face with his big hammer..... and smash the ground to cause an earthquake during the fight!!!

the reason I am posting this is because I WILL need help to make this possible! I already am going to get help from mr. tiddles and an artist or 2! but that's not enough... I need custom sounds, people who are familiar with this kind of programming, people who can animate, more artists (because alot of art will go into this), and more ideas to make this feel like it's an actual part of the game!

this mod is only a small piece to a big mod I plan to make later on!!! (that mod will have ALOT of pets in it)

This sounds brilliant, I am a beginner to modding but I'm trying to learn the software and it would be nice to help you when I am better with it.

I'll have a think and hopefully come back to you with some ideas on this, but anyway really look forward to this coming out it'll be worth the wait.

Very nice work so far.

This sounds brilliant, I am a beginner to modding but I'm trying to learn the software and it would be nice to help you when I am better with it.

I'll have a think and hopefully come back to you with some ideas on this, but anyway really look forward to this coming out it'll be worth the wait.

Very nice work so far.

Awesome! Btw do you know how to draw?

I guess I'll get started on the name suggestions.

The tortoise could be called "Shellzard" (Shel-zerd.) or possibly "Tortumonde" (torte-tu-mond) if I can use French/reference the "World Turtle" myth.

Suggestions: It would be cool to give the tortoise the ability to eat turf.

The crocodile/gorilla could also be named either "crocorilla" or possibly "trogloniloticus". Probably the "crocorilla". Would individual names for the creatures, like the pigmen, also be necessary?

The renewable stone could be called the "Sapstone" or just "Amber". Not much else to say.

Suggestion: You could make it grow faster around trees. Seems fitting.

The chimpsh creatures could be called "kodama"

or "kodampanzee".

And that's about it for the moment for the names

RANDOM SUGGESTIONS:

Winter: At winter, the humidity in the bog would stop freezing, but create a fog that would drain health and neutralize all of the characters's pros and cons (Wolfgang would be stuck at the lowest stage of wimpiness), except with Wes because he has no pros or cons. It would also take 2 days for the fog to wear off.

During the winter, you could have a completely new mob (much like you're already adding the turtle)(perhaps a snow monster of some sort) or, you could add a new type of plant(s) that would only spawn there during the winter (if thats possible?)

I like it!

You say lots of insects, how about swampy ponds for mosquitoes? Also I'd love to see a killer bee hive turned into an anthill producing a swarm of angry ants. Cave bananas should spawn in jungle, because I've seen the Jungle Book and all that feral child and bear did was eat bananas and fight tigers.

The snake trees could be called jungle oaks, everyone loves a good j'oak, and the snakes that fall from the tree could be called oakphidians, or snakorns

I like it!

You say lots of insects, how about swampy ponds for mosquitoes? Also I'd love to see a killer bee hive turned into an anthill producing a swarm of angry ants. Cave bananas should spawn in jungle, because I've seen the Jungle Book and all that feral child and bear did was eat bananas and fight tigers.

The snake trees could be called jungle oaks, everyone loves a good j'oak, and the snakes that fall from the tree could be called oakphidians, or snakorns

Well where have you been all my life mr.punsalot? Got anymore good puns up your sleeve? It helps.... XD

A jungle, huh? Well, I might have a few ideas. 

First of all, rain 24/7, not a good idea with the whole new wetness mechanic. It'll just end up making the biome undesirable to visit. Certainly more rain than other biomes, but not rain constantly. And to abate the constant wetness, what about a palm leaf parasol. Similar to an umbrella, just easier to make and with a fairly fast spoiling level.

Now, I suggest jungle thickets. Sort of a cross between berry bushes and grass. However, where bushes/grass give one item every time, thickets would instead give something random. Sometimes fruit, sometimes an item, sometimes even a creature might escape and attack you. They'd regain the ability to be searched every few days, and can't be dug up, but instead could be cut down (destroying them) with a new item, the machete. The machete would be like a spear, except with slightly less damage, and could also be used as a slow axe. 

Secondly, some new birds. Instead of the usual red/snowbird, or crows, what about brightly coloured birds of paradise, or perhaps varieties of parrots? Perhaps with eagles to feed on them, similar to Buzzards in RoG.

Ponds could hold some interesting creatures. Poisonous dart frogs might surround them, damaging you with damage over time venom. And perhaps, if you should defeat their slimy guardians, you might catch trophical fish such as piranha.

Bamboo might be used in the crafting of darts, such as MacTusk and Son use, except perhaps on a more permanent scale. Having a use bar, like a boomerang, and requiring darts as ammo. Perhaps you might even use Scorpobra venom to make poisonous darts.

Hummingbirds could flit to flower to flower, similar to bees and butterflies.

Fallen logs could be harvested for wood, like stumps.

Just a few ideas.

This may be pushing it, but I really suggest renaming the "veggie rock" the "sapstone".

it's a plant not a sap xD

A jungle, huh? Well, I might have a few ideas. 

First of all, rain 24/7, not a good idea with the whole new wetness mechanic. It'll just end up making the biome undesirable to visit. Certainly more rain than other biomes, but not rain constantly. And to abate the constant wetness, what about a palm leaf parasol. Similar to an umbrella, just easier to make and with a fairly fast spoiling level.

Now, I suggest jungle thickets. Sort of a cross between berry bushes and grass. However, where bushes/grass give one item every time, thickets would instead give something random. Sometimes fruit, sometimes an item, sometimes even a creature might escape and attack you. They'd regain the ability to be searched every few days, and can't be dug up, but instead could be cut down (destroying them) with a new item, the machete. The machete would be like a spear, except with slightly less damage, and could also be used as a slow axe. 

Secondly, some new birds. Instead of the usual red/snowbird, or crows, what about brightly coloured birds of paradise, or perhaps varieties of parrots? Perhaps with eagles to feed on them, similar to Buzzards in RoG.

Ponds could hold some interesting creatures. Poisonous dart frogs might surround them, damaging you with damage over time venom. And perhaps, if you should defeat their slimy guardians, you might catch trophical fish such as piranha.

Bamboo might be used in the crafting of darts, such as MacTusk and Son use, except perhaps on a more permanent scale. Having a use bar, like a boomerang, and requiring darts as ammo. Perhaps you might even use Scorpobra venom to make poisonous darts.

Hummingbirds could flit to flower to flower, similar to bees and butterflies.

Fallen logs could be harvested for wood, like stumps.

Just a few ideas.

those are really good ideas and I will use a couple of them! including taking out always raining... xD

EDIT: updated the thread

but this'll be a plant... it's green... not yellow :p

Hmm... Ideas forming in mind...

"Mossjade" or "Chlorocrystal" for a see-through rock, and "Lignumite" or "Chlorocarbon" for a opaque rock.

+Suggestion!

A weak but respawning "spirit of the forest" that attacks you relentlessly each day if you don't plant a tree when you enter. If you plant a tree while you're there, even if you've already entered a long time ago, it'll count for that visit.

Hmm... Ideas forming in mind...

"Mossjade" or "Chlorocrystal" for a see-through rock, and "Lignumite" or "Chlorocarbon" for a opaque rock.

+Suggestion!

A weak but respawning "spirit of the forest" that attacks you relentlessly each day if you don't plant a tree when you enter. If you plant a tree while you're there, even if you've already entered a long time ago, it'll count for that visit.

what if it has a chance to spawn from a chopped tree? then I dont gotta work on tree guards! :D

How about a Big Bush that you can hack away at, like regular Boulder's, Except you need a hatchet, And it drop's some fruit a random chance at a seed and a non spoiling type of food, to make it worth it.

It'd also be cool of these "bushes" blocked of areas, so you would need to hack through them to continue along your path. (It would give the jungle the feeling that it's overgrown.) 

Archived