An end of game to end the game objective.

As many people have mentioned the game doesn't really have an ending; you just have to survive as long as you can. However, that can work to this ideas advantage and can incorporate all that this game has to offer.

Our characters are stuck in this world and hence need Maxwell to get them out (where story mode comes in). Whence this is done a new mode can be unlocked; Escape. In this mode, the characters are planning there escape and need to ensemble a machine to do so. The machine needs components found in all areas of the game (so the caves have a purpose) and need to charge up (to incorporate the days survived component)

This machine will need pieces that can be constructed with a 4th tier science machine and a 3rd tier magic machine. Perhaps 10-20 pieces. When a piece is constructed you must safe guard it through all seasons and all manner of attacks the game throws at you. When the machine is built the game will 'end' as such

The teleportato will still have a function for players that will want to play to survive as long as possible; with this mode it gives people a resolution; to see how quickly they escape....or end up in a place worse... (That is for Klei to decide!)

I want many pieces for this machine so people will have to explore and resource gather; I want EVERY time; from grass, to volt horns, from marble to the deerclops eye to be needed to bulid the machine. Hence the game will still be about surviving and can't be rushed quickly. I think 20 pieces would be best.

Any thoughts from you guys?

I've always thought about an idea of there being an additional "adventure mode" taking place after Maxwell gets freed. This is a pretty creative idea as well.

Although I don't think much will happen to the game's story past adventure mode, in-game at least. 

I have no idea about that but sure...I'll go with it

In the strategy game Civilization you can win through a science victory. To aclaim this you have to research and build the parts of a space ship (not quite sure but about 10 parts) Then you have tio assemble them in your capital and then the spaceship starts and you win.

There I see similarities

When caves were first announced Kevin specifically said that there an "optional" area with no real reason to go down there unless your bored of the over-world or want to challenge and because of that can't intertwine with the over world too much, otherwise people would complain about them and they would have to nerf the difficulty down there. That's why caves have no real "purpose" and wouldn't be necessary to enter them to complete the game.

Also I don't think it would be fitting for Don't Starve to "end" if you die or your world becomes uninhabitable due to fires,spider queen infestations,etc you go on to a new world and start from the beginning again. Having a legitimate ending world ruin the mood of you being trapped and having no hope of escape and having to make do with what's around you. Just my opinion though not saying the ideas bad or anything

(Also do you think They would let you escape?)

When caves were first announced Kevin specifically said that there an "optional" area with no real reason to go down there unless your bored of the over-world or want to challenge and because of that can't intertwine with the over world too much, otherwise people would complain about them and they would have to nerf the difficulty down there. That's why caves have no real "purpose" and wouldn't be necessary to enter them to complete the game.

Also I don't think it would be fitting for Don't Starve to "end" if you die or your world becomes uninhabitable due to fires,spider queen infestations,etc you go on to a new world and start from the beginning again. Having a legitimate ending world ruin the mood of you being trapped and having no hope of escape and having to make do with what's around you. Just my opinion though not saying the ideas bad or anything

(Also do you think They would let you escape?)

Who cares what THEY want; we have to leave! The game does need a resolution whether now or in the far future

I'd like that but firstly not my cuppa tea secondly it would not be a good ending to what happened at the beginning.

What if you needed to uncover Maxwell and then you would be able to do something to rescue Charlie and they both would get out. The only bad ending would be the ending for your character you started the game with (unless you start as Maxwell straight away) who would be trapped by the shadows forever until someone else gets captured. I can just imagine Wilson being the main villain of the game, lol.

In the strategy game Civilization you can win through a science victory. To aclaim this you have to research and build the parts of a space ship (not quite sure but about 10 parts) Then you have tio assemble them in your capital and then the spaceship starts and you win.

There I see similarities

The problem with the "build a ship to escape" for DS is that you don't have other civs, er, people, breathing down your neck trying to win in other ways.  Without that competitive element, it would just be a grind.  And since renewable resources tend to be easier to obtain over time, you'd just be limited by nonrenewable ones or hard to find ones (like Rhino Horn).  But the game already gives incentives for finding those with super-cool-magic devices, so this wouldn't add any more challenge or reward, other than closure. 

On a meta level, it seems fitting that "doing well" in DS results in your character becoming more and more comfortable and settled in the horrible Purgatory you've been dumped into; it's nicely twisted and ironic.

I'd like it if it was a timed thing where the world is destroyed if you don't make it in time. Obviously making it be EVERY item might be more than a little much for this, but I still think it could work. And it'd be especially cool if world events happened as you got closer to the deadline.

"You have five days to assemble the Escape Pod. Massive earthquakes have started happening as the world splits itself apart!"

I do NOT like the Apocalypse idea. It doesn't make sense canonically. As far as They are concerned.

Seriously, why does the conversation constantly turn back around to this? Why would they randomly just want to wreck the world, rather than continue to toy around with their puppet? And no, they're not going to just let him or her get away, of course. So why screw the pooch?

I was thinking today, why are the giants so important?  To have them influence the title should mean they would have a special kind of significance.  Like all their loot being used together for something big.  It could be the true escape gateway/new adventure mode entrance ... or some kind of monstrous boon.

But the thing is, the developers have already determined that this isn't going to change any adventure mode things, or storyline, or stuff like that. It's just more sandbox content. In other words, if you wanted the past several content updates, but not hidden in caves where it's all optional, then this DLC is your in.

I was thinking today, why are the giants so important?  To have them influence the title should mean they would have a special kind of significance.  Like all their loot being used together for something big.  It could be the true escape gateway/new adventure mode entrance ... or some kind of monstrous boon.

if each gaint is only available in each season, then they're bishops. that's my guest anyway. that and I bet there will be another villian beside maxwell and them

if each gaint is only available in each season, then they're bishops. that's my guest anyway. that and I bet there will be another villian beside maxwell and them

Bishops? Maybe.

Another villain? I don't think so. The DLC isn't really going to have any major plotline expansion, so don't count on it.

Archived