Hey, Forumers. You had better find something to eat before night comes...

Battal

67 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about this new story type thing.

• Really cool, have my reputation!
    • It's neat.
    • Eh, meh...
    • Nah.
    • I wish it would die in a muddy ditch, alone, without friends, family, or HOPE!

Segment 20

"Among the Fallen"

The bloodthirsty hound flew over Wallace's head, missing him by inches and crashing into a stone wall.  "I am too speshul to die!"  The ham yelled, bouncing away from the wolf like an out-of-control tennis ball.  He was followed close behind by the rest of the group, who ran up a set of stairs to a higher platform.  Their pursuer shook itself off, then howled at the sky.  The sound bounced across the walls of the crumbling city, and was echoed by countless smaller howls. 

The group fled for one of the towers; in this situation, a higher position would give them a huge advantage against the large hound.  However, their way was blocked by a pack of small hounds, who ambushed they as they went around a corner.  Caught by surprise, the group was overrun by the ravenous dogs.  One tore off a chunk of Battal's arm, but paid the price as his sword found its heart.  Battal stood, and began hacking away.  Dwerbomb had also managed to stand, and was throwing globs off goo from his eyes at the enemy. 

The real show, however, came from Pecival.  His needle was a small weapon, but he knew where to stab.  Each slice of the needle brought death.  "And lo, I am become death.  Hahahahaha."  Pecival said insanely.  "Bleed for me some more, bleed some - "    The doll fell as a hound snapped its jaws around his legs.  The fall knocked his weapon out of his hand, and it skittered away towards Willette.  Pecival continued to struggle, but the far larger hound dragged him with ease, and in seconds he was lost.  A large amount of the hounds converged on Wallace (Supposedly because he's a piece of delicious ham) , who fled from the group's sight screaming.  "No!"  Battal yelled, before being dragged under by the hounds again.  Then, explosions, light, and fire.  And pain. 

The hounds ran away yelping from the combination of Debul power and Blewcheese's fireworks, which had created quite a terrifying show.  Charred hound corpses dotted the platform.  But it wasn't over yet.  "Come on!"  Battal yelled to Willette, who was staring at Pecival's needle in shock.  "We have to leave!"  another bellowing howl from the Varg shook her out of her stupor.  The four remaining group members rain up the steep spiral stair of the nearest tower.

Dwer used his eye goop to destroy the stairs, ensuring that no hounds would follow them up.  Battal sighed, collapsing against the tower's parapets in exhaustion.  The hounds were still below them, but unless they found another way up, the group was safe.  Except for one small detail - they were now trapped.

Night fell, and the hounds still stood vigilant at the tower's base.  Things were looking very, very bad.  The group's food supplies were already running low, and the pain from their wounds wasn't getting any better.  Tired of sitting around, Battal stood up and looked for any other escape options.  The only thing remotely as high as them was a tower at the other edge of the ravine - way too far to jump, and way too far to telepoof.  Battal sighed.  Turning to his companions, he spoke.  "There's no way off this thing but down.  We'll just have to try and run for it."

"Run for it?!?!"  Willette said incredulously.  "Dat's suicide, man."

"Unless you want to starve to death up here, we have no other options."  Battal said, looking nervously down the stairwell.  "I'd rather go out in a blaze of glory than end up as a skeleton on a roof."

With that, the Debul walked down the stairs to face the Varg.

The instant they got to ground level, the group, quite simply, ran like hell.  The hounds charged after them as they raced through the maze of crumbling buildings and towers, the Varg in lead.  One by one, the hounds fell behind, lost forever in the labyrinth, until only a couple dogs and their master were present.  Some ways ahead, the group could see a massive wall and a pair of gates; the exit of the pass.  Alas, for so close to victory, the Varg finally caught up.  It knocked Willette to the ground and prepared to give her facial deconstruction surgery, but not before Blew managed to get a lucky shot on the side of its head.

In seconds, the hound was upon him.  The launcher was pointless at close range - especially when the Varg tore his arm off and swallowed it, along with all the launcher's ammo.  Battal tried to get to his feet and help, but his legs felt like iron, the culmination of his injuries too much for him.  The Varg buried its claws in his friend's chest, spattering the gray stone around them crimson red.  Blewcheese's attempts to fend off the beats grew weaker and weaker as more internal organs were severely damaged.  After his chest had been reduced to pulp, the Varg took a few steps back, panting.  Blewcheese managed a few stuttering coughs, before his body went limp and his eyes went blank.

"Blew!  NO!"  Battal yelled, a film of red haze falling over his eyes like a curtain.  The Varg turned to him, snarling threateningly.  Battal looked at his land, trying to summon fire.  A few sparks came, but nothing more.  The massive hound closed in, delighted at another effortless meal.  Before it could do what it did to Blewcheese, both Willette and Dwer attacked at once, with tentacles and shadowy claws combined.  The Debul concentrated as hard as he could, and with a small *pop*, a ball of fire appeared, floating over his hand like a miniature planet.  Turning to the Varg, he roared a battle cry, and threw the fire down the beast's throat.

The hound only had time to yelp in pain before the fireworks inside it ignited.  It exploded seemingly in slow motion, in a fabulous burst of every color, sending chunks of fur, flesh, and bone soaring into the air.  The fireworks sparkled and popped for a few moments afterwards, then faded away. 

But Battal had no time to admire the light show.  Taking one last look at Blew's corpse, he turned to the gate and walked weakly towards it.  As he grew closer to it, he could swear he saw it opening a bit.  He must have been seeing things.  As he collapsed in the shadow of the gate, he could see a short, stubby man walking towards him, dressed in a familiar suit.  When he reached Battal, he stopped.

"Say, pal.  Name's William Carter.  You don't look so good..."

And then Battal fell into subconscious.

(oh and Will was there the whole time following them.)

End of Part One

Edited by Lord_Battal
  • Like 5

So, did I just leave? Did I go like, "Hey look, a Varg. Bye,"? I mean, my death is never mentioned, and you say at the end only Dwer, Willette, Blew, and you were alive. Did I just not go with you?

So, did I just leave? Did I go like, "Hey look, a Varg. Bye,"? I mean, my death is never mentioned, and you say at the end only Dwer, Willette, Blew, and you were alive. Did I just not go with you?

I am going to laugh so hard if it turns out he just forgot and ends up leaving a massive gaping plot hole in the story.

Damnit.  No offense, but I completely forgot you were in the story.

oh god im sorry will

• Like 1

Just a side note, if I do get revived as a human, keep in mind Percival Wulfric Brian doesn't speak in the Language of Ancientes, but almost the same amount of sanity.

No, you're just the hound's chew toy now.

I feel like at this point, assuming I didn't die, I'd have blocked myself in a near airtight hole and rocked back and forth waiting for someone to save me.

Edited by Will
  • Like 1

"Unless you want to starve to death up here, we have no other options."  Battal said, looking nervously down the stairwell.  "I'd rather go out in a blaze of glory than end up as a skeleton on a roof."

OD9XAuS.png

so glad this silly block is off your writing table for now. And why are people derailing? People shouldn't be derailing!... nice long segment. plus the dork is here too, mhehehe...

No seriously, I did eat human flesh once. Tastes like veal.

Is there, like, a hospital near you that sells leftover flesh from surgery, or something? Because you seem to have enough to both eat and make books with. Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

I have a question. Will the end and climax of part one mean a significantly larger than normal delay between now and the next segment than there usually would be for a new segment? Or will the next segment be coming relatively soon?