Tales of Epic

So, by now we've all heard stories of how things have gone horribly wrong, but how about this time, we tell tales of those rare times things go absolutely right. (or are otherwise epic in nature)

I'll start, I had been spending the last in-game week building a farm and pig village by my super beefalo herd. (on day 100+ and I practically ignored them after finding them. they multiply well) I had set up 4 pig huts in the middle of the herd so I can farm pig skins every time the herd goes in heat. And sure enough, not a few days after beginning to set up the huts, the beefalo go into heat. So I continue to carefully collect poo and grass to expand my farms(now at 20 farm plots) when I need to head back to base, for some more food. As I leave base, willow let's out a quote that makes me shudder... then come the earth quakes.

This was my first time ever encountering the deerclops.

Well, I had a marble suit and 11 blow darts specifically for a worse case like this, however, I just remembered, my massive beefalo herd is in heat. So I just lure the deerclops to my herd, and let them have at each other. When all was said and done, I had 40 meat, 20-something beefalo fur, 2 beefalo horns and a deerclops eyeball. (oh, and I managed to hunt down a koelephant as well)

So, what kind of epic tales do you guys have to tell?

The first time I went through Adventure Mode successfully. The third world was what I'd been dreading, King of Winter. It started to seem hopeless, really. The first area had very scarce food and I had to rely on cooked monster meat and healing salves for quite a while because the only way to progress to the second part of the map was Insanity Obelisks. To make matters worse, ALL of the Walrus Camps were huddled together in the right half of the first area, and if I so much as wandered over there I would, at best, only be able to get a quick look around the area before running back to the left side that contained the Spider Den I had to rely on for food. I'd get lucky occasionally and they would end up fighting the lone Tallbird on their turf which got me some meat and a blowdart or two, but it was really starting to look like I was boned.

Then it just got worse. So here I am, dreading the eventual Deerclops that would end up killing me when he got done with the Walruses and couldn't go anywhere save for the left half of the map for any extended period of time, when Maxwell decides I don't have it hard enough and spawns a Treeguard, a damn Treeguard, right next to me! Also, it was night. Also, it didn't seem to respond to a single pinecone I planted. This wound up with me spending what has to have been the longest lasting night in my entire Don't Starve playtime stuck in the middle of this first section running around the small radius of light my campfire provided and avoiding the lumbering things attempts to end me.

Now here's where the epic comes in.

I endure this crazy long night, absolutely positive that I this is it for me and I'm going to have to start all the way back from Archipelago if I want to unlock what I'm working to unlock, when MacTusk and his good friend MacTusk come onto the screen with their hunting parties in tow. They COMPLETELY ignore me and go straight for the Treeguard that has been chasing me in a tight circle all night, and get absolutely DESTROYED. I use this window of opportunity to chase down the Walrus patriarchs and kill them, kill them to death! Lady Luck, Maxwell, the coding, WHOEVER was looking out for me decided I'd finally earned a break and I saw the most beautiful thing. The Tam O' Shanter. Finally I would be able to use the very sparse amount of Green Mushrooms to cross into the second area without having to deal with Terrorbeaks throughout the entirety of it! But that wasn't enough for me, I wanted to show this section of the map what happens to it when it screws over 23rd. I took the time that the Treeguard was spending dealing with yet another hunting party that had wandered over to get even more pinecones, and one of them FINALLY works after I chase it towards the pillars and get it to plant itself just underneath of them. I stock up on food and hounds teeth, making sure there's no way I'll run out of either on the road ahead while I wait for Day 7 to roll around. Well, lo and behold, Deerclops comes lumbering out of the bottom of the screen, determined to ruin my day. I lead him towards the Treeguard, they wind up going at it, and the next thing I know I've got eight big shanks of meat. I bid my foe-turned-friend adieu and made my way into the second area, confident that everything from that point onwards would be smooth sailing. It was.

TL;DR: The first part of King of Winter decided to kick my ass, so with the help of a Treeguard I kicked its ass right back.

I fought off a glitched Mactusk army and a Deerclops with a spear, log suit, football helmet, and gunpowder.  I may be the only person who has ever killed ANYTHING with gunpowder.

I use gunpowder on penguls every winter. It's pretty much the only effective way to kill a horde of them.

I've survived many Depth Worms encounters and didn't find the need to whine about it on the internet.

Shots fired!

Yesterday I killed my second deerclops in my world. Have two eyeballs now and I will make funny faces with them. What was also very funny was that the deerclops trashed a load of trees by walking over them which caused a treeguard to spawn (the biggest type) and we had a battle royal. It was awesome.

Shots fired!

Yesterday I killed my second deerclops in my world. Have two eyeballs now and I will make funny faces with them. What was also very funny was that the deerclops trashed a load of trees by walking over them which caused a treeguard to spawn (the biggest type) and we had a battle royal. It was awesome.

I completely forgot Treeguards can spawn from that!

I already posted this on a different thread but I feel it fits into this one better, so:

Me and two herds against my first deerclops. It only managed to kill 2 of them before being destroyed.

Me and my beefalo friends went to tell the tale of how he slew a mighty deerclops to the future generations of beefalo kind. Of course I didn't help with that part, just kind of let the nearby tallbird try to peck them and instantly be killed by every Beefalo in the area, leaving me with the meat.

post-286034-0-29961700-1387120298_thumb.

I already posted this on a different thread but I feel it fits into this one better, so:

Me and two herds against my first deerclops. It only managed to kill 2 of them before being destroyed.

Me and my beefalo friends went to tell the tale of how he slew a mighty deerclops to the future generations of beefalo kind. Of course I didn't help with that part, just kind of let the nearby tallbird try to peck them and instantly be killed by every Beefalo in the area, leaving me with the meat.

attachicon.gifdatgudfeel.png

How adorable! What character mod is that?

(Oh and great tale!)

Archived