Youtube

With over a lot of youtubers playing this game now. I think there is now going to be a lot more people wanting to buy this game due to the fact that the yogscast now have shown this game on there account. So Klei hope you guys get the money you need to make this game better than ever :)...also I currently do not have this game and I am playing the creaked version of it I am sorry for doing that I would love to buy it but atm I don't have the money to get it sorry

"Oh hi I'm a thief and a liar who stole your product but I hope other people pay because I want you to succeed in spite of my actions."

P.S. There is no way that someone who owns a working computer and an internet connection doesn't have $10. How do you even eat? Are you the actual Wilson who is using some sort of Alchemy Computer that you made you of sand and beard trimmings?

"Oh hi I'm a thief and a liar who stole your product but I hope other people pay because I want you to succeed in spite of my actions."

P.S. There is no way that someone who owns a working computer and an internet connection doesn't have $10. How do you even eat? Are you the actual Wilson who is using some sort of Alchemy Computer that you made you of sand and beard trimmings?

lol.. ignore him it's just a troll. he want to piss off people like you. :p

P.S. There is no way that someone who owns a working computer and an internet connection doesn't have $10. How do you even eat?

Who says he OWNS a computer? It may very well be his dads. He can be a minor without a credit card of his own in a country where you can't buy online-only credit cards in the mall.

I was that guy a couple of years before and I pirated the **** out of games because I couldn't buy them. I had the money, but there was just NO WAY of getting them legit at that time. They didn't even got to retail stores physically. Now I'm a grownup and I've bought most of the games I played when little. Just for the nostalgia of owning them.

We all like Klei and want them to be a success so they can make more awesome games for us, but...

Please think twice before making rude assumptions about someone you don't know. Klei would benefit better from having a nice and friendly community than by hunting down those who pirate their game.

Hm... I'll jump in on the train. I used to pirate when I wanted to play something. For some reason I just haven't anymore even though I'm not really making money currently. I think it's more laziness to find a reliable torrent for me :D.

But the comment I originally was going to post was, what's youtube (the title) have to do with anything/the confession? ._.

Didnt want to comment here. Personally dislike piracy. The game is an indie game, really hope people understand how hard the devs work to push out the content for us also are quite active and listen to the community quite actively. Piracy also kills the support devs can produce after the game is out.

Piracy also kills the support devs can produce after the game is out.

But piracy also helps to spread the word around. And to test a game before buying it, like some of the "confessed" pirates of this forum did. Not only that, but after buying it, they gave the gift codes to friends, which in turn will spread the word around even more and probably bring in more sales for Klei.

There's always shades of grey in everything.

i`m for piracy and againtst it at the same time bcuz Exess is right it helps the game but at the same time it ruins it , i`m a former pirate and i`m not proud of it but at the same time not owning even 10 bucs is posible bcuz like my family there are others more where you want something so bad and thats the only way to get it and bcuz of external implications you don`t have the meants to get it just pisses me off, so next time when you have the urge to say that its imposible not to own 10 bucs pls don`t bcuz i don`t have them either i got the game as a gift, and deep down it actualy hurts.

But piracy also helps to spread the word around.

Not the best thread to say "Hi there, I'm new !" and move from the casual guest reader to the members' group, but I wanted to add a grain of salt to this :p

Sure piracy can be a way between others to promote a game. But clearly not the best as you can't have control on how many "free players" you can have.

And I can even understand being on a country where there's no other way to play games, but that case probably concerns only a small percentage of the user-base.

But let's get on the other side : if there's a price tag on a game, that's because you have to pay to play it.

If you're short on money and ultimately can't buy the game right now, then sorry, but you shouldn't be allowed to play.

It's like going to restaurant you can't afford (while having food at home), eat at your leisure and leave without paying because you can't pay.

It's a game, not something vital like water :)

"I can't afford it" shouldn't grant you the right to get it for free.

(I'm an independent worker, hence why I usually disapprove stealing cheap yet great indie games)

Honestly I only pirate games that i definently promise to buy in the future or games I own that i can't access /I bought before , i try not to pirate because its complicated and is a big risk , so i don't pirate any games , maybe 1 or 2 , but thse are ones i'm going to buy on the console once i get my job.

i`m sorry i didn`t specify i didn`t mean that if you don`t have the money that doesn`t give you the right to steal it, but if you don`t do t out of pure evilness and you do it bcuz its the only way and don`t abuse it then i think its ok but you would have to try to find a way to buy the games ... thats what i think

Sure piracy can be a way between others to promote a game. But clearly not the best as you can't have control on how many "free players" you can have.

[...]

It's a game, not something vital like water :)

"I can't afford it" shouldn't grant you the right to get it for free.

Welcome aboard, glad you decided to join in the discussion.

Notice how I purposely used the wording "spread the word" instead of "promotion", as promotion implies monetarily gain. I do believe, though, that if you make a good product, the exposure (in this case from privacy) leads to more sales that you wouldn't otherwise have.

But also...

• A playable demo.
  • A price reduced early-beta access.
  • "Give to a friend" keys.
  • A great community.
  • Communication between the devs and the players.

...are ALL amazing ways of building client loyalty which ultimately results in word spreading.

Anyway, NOTHING gives you the right to get something paid for free. Piracy is WRONG, from a moral and legal point. But is also INEVITABLE. That's why I like to focus on the good things that come with piracy and looking for ways to use it in the "industries" advantage, instead of running behind pirates with pitchforks and torches.

Also, I don't mind those who CAN'T buy the game but pirate it anyway. They don't harm no-one. It's not like Klei looses anything because of them, they just don't earn more money. But they wouldn't anyway. THAT kind of pirates can help spread the word to those who may DO buy the game.

Edited by Excess

Anyway, NOTHING gives you the right to get something paid for free. Piracy is WRONG, from a moral and legal point. But is also INEVITABLE. That's why I like to focus on the good things that come with piracy and looking for ways to use it in the "industries" advantage, instead of running behind pirates with pitchforks and torches.

Also, I don't mind those who CAN'T buy the game but pirate it anyway. They don't harm no-one. It's not like Klei looses anything because of them, they just don't earn more money. But they wouldn't anyway. THAT kind of pirates can help spread the word to those who may DO buy the game.

I'ts weird to think of it like that, but its opened my mind.. Sure they should pay for the game, but if someone pirate copies it, its still spreading the word, influencing others, etc.. and Klei still may not lose anything, but they gain another player which increases their "fanbase"

Notice how I purposely used the wording "spread the word" instead of "promotion", as promotion implies monetarily gain. I do believe, though, that if you make a good product, the exposure (in this case from privacy) leads to more sales that you wouldn't otherwise have.

Yeah, though I'd like to add that my previous comment shouldn't be read as "use a torch blindy on all the pirates and see if they all ignite" :)

Hence my "grain of salt" sentence at the beginning.

I'm all for the "test accordingly" before you buy.

But as years go by, it seems that more and more go the "it's ok, I wouldn't have bought it anyway" path without giving a second thought.

It's and endless discussion anyway as piracy will always be there with our economic system.

Time to hunt more gobblers :p

I don't really want to see a giant Piracy debate here on these forums, not really the place for that.

But when you have a game that is pretty cheap to begin with and everybody who buys it gets one to give to a friend, WITH a healthy trade forum, pirating Don't Starve is pretty lame. But, pirates gonna pirate.

But Excess has it right. Everybody can contribute to this community in a meaningful way without tearing down each others ideas and suggestions. Whether it be youtube, fan art, fanfic or just talking about it with your friends, it helps all of us in the Don't Starve community.