How to Kite - A Presumptuous Guide to Killing Mobs Like a Boss.

Kitting: Verb - The act of attacking a game monster (mob) then running back in order to dodge that monster's attack. Proper performance of kitting should ensure that the player does not receive damage while killing the monster.

Many of the "pro" players on these forums talk about kitting, but there isn't much info on how to perform this feat. In order to help the newer players to the game I have put together this guide to teach you the skills you need. Let's start with the basics.

When first learning how to kite it is best to stick to one perspective that you view the fight in. I prefer to keep my enemies to the right of my character at all times. The reason for this is two-fold:

1.) The side view of most mob's attacks give a better idea of the range they can hit. Therefore, dodging the attacks becomes easier.

2.) On a keyboard, the default key to attack is the "F" key. This makes your attack pattern simple; use "A" to dodge to the left then follow up by pressing "F" to automatically run back to the right and attack. This also reduces the chance of mispressing a directional button or missing your attack in this way.

(I guess I've also played a lot of fighting games as player 1 as well, haha)

Paying close attention to the timing of the mobs attacks is more important than actually winning the fights at first. Be prepared to throw away a few worlds while still learning the kiting technique. No worries though, it is rather easy to kite the mobs in Don't Starve compared to other games, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it!

When it comes to practicing, picking the right mob to practice with makes a difference. Some of the easiest enemies to kite are Treeguards, Spiders, and Beefalo. Grab one of them to be your dummy. (Or DebugSpawn one in just for practice)

Now on to the meat and potatoes of this post, the different mobs themselves.

Work in progress. Will update more later

*note: 4(5) means you can hit the mob 4 times without a problem, a fifth hit is possible if timed just right.

Spiders - Stunlocked on hit, all hits after first are free.

A single spider is the easiest creature to kite in the game. Once the spider is in range it will rock back slightly then attack with a bite. The attack range of the bite is barely a few inches from its body; making the movement to dodge the attack only a step or two. Once dodged, just hold down that "F" key, the stunlock mechanic allows for an unlimited number of consecutive hits.

Spiders in a group is a different story. They will stunlock you! What I have found to work best is to use a "J" motion while dodging attacks. This will keep the group bunched together and get them attacking at the same time. The benefit to them all attacking at the same time is that none of them will be attacking you while it's your turn to hit them. Only attack twice before dodging again.

Spider Warriors - 3

Their jump attack is nearly impossible to dodge, not even worth trying. They only jump if you are far enough away from them, so let them get that free hit in. You will be getting the rest. Their attack animation is nearly identical to their smaller brethren making normal spider kitting experience very valuable with fighting the warriors. The main difference is the fact that the warriors cannot be stunlocked.  Dodge their bite and smack them three times.

Pigs and Merms - 1(2)

GIF

16qJWyt.gif

These guys use the exact same tactics and animations so I am lumping them together. (Merms are just slightly faster at running, but not at attacking)

Kitting a kitter is tricky business. Hold your ground while they are running at you then dodge at the last second. Once dodged, hold down the "F" key to run in for the counter. If done right, it will look like you are running into their extended fist (with no damage since their attack is already over).

Getting multiple hits is more luck than skill. The determining factor is which direction they run after their attack. Only perpendicular movements will allow for that second hit. It is still a good idea to hold "F" to go for the second hit. If they run straight away from you and your second attack misses, just hold your ground and get ready for the next dodge. If you accidentally start chasing them instead of missing the attack, simply tap a direction key to stop your movement and prepare for the dodge.

Beefalo and Koalaphants - 4(5)

They have very little attack animation at all, they just flail their head a bit. What is more important than watching their movement is knowing how many hits you have on them.

When they are charging down on you the easiest way to dodge the first attack is to "stutter step". Stutter stepping is preformed by walking a step or two, letting go of the movement key for a quarter of a second, then resuming movement again. Once dodged and you lay into them for 4(5) hits, stutter step away again and repeat.

TreeGuards - 3(4 commonly)

GIF

mLaK3w.gif

Boss monsters, HA! These guys are some of the easiest to kite in the game. They telegraph their attacks very clearly when they raise their arm up high before swiping down for the hit. Their attack range ends exactly with the end of their arm (no over-reach for their hits). Try stutter stepping (see Beefalo and Koalaphants) to provoke an attack or two to see the range of the attack. Once you have that down, hit them 3(4) times and run just far enough to be out of their range. Their attack will miss, your next one will not. When kitted properly, the TreeGuard will be rooted in place until they are dead. (pun intended)

Frogs - 1

GIF

B5GVte.gif

You should always try to attack these guys from the side. The animation for up and down does not show the range of the attack that well. 

Clockwork Knight - 1(2)

YrfI1.gif

Tentacle - 1

prgu6X.gif

Bunnyman - 2

esOGu1XP.gif

Beardlord - 1

Now, the trick to kiting the beardlords might not be readily apparent from this GIF. You must stand far enough away from them after hitting them so that not only do you dodge their attack, but so that they must take a step in order to get back into their attack range. That one step that they take breaks their attack rhythm so you can get a stunning hit in and kite them.

3d4Ba.gif

Deerclops - 1(2)

beR6x.gif

Don't starve.

~Ortorin

With pig it's better to dodge and then run the direction of the Pig as it's doing the attack animation (you wont be hit). Once you're close enough press F (or Left Alt, I found that this way i can still attack easily and retain control of the D key).

What I want to know is how to kite the Spider Queen, who hacks me down and kills me every time I've dared try and fight her in the open. Is it even doable?

With pig it's better to doge

wow

such pig

wow

spearfight 4 meats           

very starve

wow

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :razz:

Dammit.

Also Spider Queens are plenty doable if you focus on the spiders she spawns first.

The problem is that she keeps spawning them. I've never defeated her without a force of pigs or killer bees taking the heat off. :/

The problem is that she keeps spawning them. I've never defeated her without a force of pigs or killer bees taking the heat off. :/

And you keep killing them. Spiders can be stunlocked and warriors can be kited easily. Just make sure to fight them away from the queen. Make them follow you for a distance.

Yes, but given that she keeps spawning them, there never seems to be a moment when you can start wailing on the queen unmolested. Does she eventually stop spawning them so quickly if you kill a lot of them?

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll try it next time I have one to fight.

The thing you have to remember when fighting a spider queen is that her attack has a huge range, bigger than it looks like it should be.  I usually only go for one or two hits when I run in.  When she starts to make a spider you can get in a few whacks, then run away (which should lead the new spider away), kill the new spider, then go back in. 

With pig it's better to dodge and then run the direction of the Pig as it's doing the attack animation (you wont be hit). Once you're close enough press F (or Left Alt, I found that this way i can still attack easily and retain control of the D key).

I think we are expressing the same idea in different words.

To help with any confusion in my words, and to just make this guide even spiffier, I'm gonna start making GIFs of me kiting the different mobs. I've never made a GIF before, so this will be interesting to learn. =D

*edit*

Grrr... this is being more of a pain in the arse than I thought it would be...

I think we are expressing the same idea in different words.

To help with any confusion in my words, and to just make this guide even spiffier, I'm gonna start making GIFs of me kiting the different mobs. I've never made a GIF before, so this will be interesting to learn. =D

*edit*

Grrr... this is being more of a pain in the arse than I thought it would be...

Try gifcam.

Direct link: http://www.bahraniapps.com/apps/gifcam/gifcam.php

Just extend the recorder to whatever size, hit record, and save it when finished.

Quick preview of what the quality looks like:

jE4flR8.gif

Edit: Actually you can crank the framerate WAY up and I didn't use the right settings.

Try gifcam.

Direct link: http://www.bahraniapps.com/apps/gifcam/gifcam.php

Just extend the recorder to whatever size, hit record, and save it when finished.

Quick preview of what the quality looks like:

Edit: Actually you can crank the framerate WAY up and I didn't use the right settings.

Thanks for this man. This is my first attempt using it. I am recording with a diffrent screen capture software, then using gifcam on the video playback. Works rather well I think.

zG55cd8.gif

Shweet! I finally figured out how to make the GIFs I want. I've already added one in to the OP for pigs. I have to work soon and I'll be gone all day and night, so there won't be any updates today. I hope you guys can bear with me while I construct this guide over the next week or two.

If there are more than 3 spiders, best way to deal with them is traps. For treeguards, i fear a lot while fighting with them due t their insane damage. I could never kill pig/merms without taking damage. I suck at tentacles, i try see little circle thing, hit and run, which kinda takes time, 1 hit run 1 hit run. 

Archived