Easy Mode PLEASE! (if i will have to beg, i will!)

dear devs,

i'm pleased to hear that you think that most of your players find the game too easy and that you have ambitious plans to solve that problem. it just means that a lot of good players are playing what you have created.

unfortunately, i'm not one of them. in fact, i'm really, really bad at gaming. i could give some examples to illustrate the degree to which i manage to fail, but let is just say that i am most likely the worst player in this community (people who quit after 1st attempt don't count).

so, i humbly beg you to create an easy mode. at this stage, i don't even care any more how exactly that easy mode will look like (i believe the world generating screen mentioned something about despair... well, i have enough of that to share!). i just want it to be there. please. seriously, please.

feel free to add anything like:

- map for noobs (with a grave)

- make mobs depend on player lvl

- introduce a fairy godmother who will occasionally donate an amulet

- make players re-spawn in same world with all their stuff still there, except the inventory. feel free to reduce that to ashes as punishment.

- give players some free amulets at the start of the game (though this will not likely save me, but heck.. it's worth a try)

- allow multiple saves

- allow for co-op and fellow player resurrection

- anything

pretty please? ._.

There are many threads about different difficulties and in every thread the same: The devs aren't going to implement difficult settings in near future.

But you can look around in the forum to get some hints and strategies for a longer survival.

Edit: I think different difficulties would be quite awesome. I really want to have this implemented, too.

But sadly or luckily the devs have much other cool stuff planned which they'll implement like every 2 weeks. This game isn't released yet, maybe there are different difficulties on release. The release date is late march 2013, isn't it?

Edited by Osterhasi

I understand that this game doesn't exactly have a turtorial and sports a harsh learning curve for non-hardcore gamers. But you do have to understand in don't starve that is the dev's intention. You will eventually get good at this game and you will play more and more growing each time. A lower difficulty would not help that. You would hit your max potential based on what you know now. With the current beta it is either as hard as you make it or as easy as you make it.

Check out the roadmap to the future thread the devs posted. As well as lurk around the forums for tips to increase your skill in Don't Starve. I would be pretty surprised if you didn't start finding this game pretty easy.

I'm afraid that i have been browsing the forum and have asked people for tips and hints, and got a lot of them. but to me, this did not help. you may say that i will get better over time, and i agree with that. but after a week of playing, i barely made any progress at all. almost 0 actually.

i'm currently at the stage where i consider quitting playing this game until an easy mode (or anything like that) will become available, because it just creates too much disappointment for me. there are other games i have ready to play too. i like this game, so i made this thread. you don't have to agree with it, but not everyone is destined to become a pro.

i know that it is the devs intention to make this game hard, and i applaud that. but it will then become a game that i cannot play (like billions of others out there). and yes, devs don't need to cater to eternal noobs like me. but i figured it was worth a try to ask ^_^

Well, I struggled very hard myself at the beginning. I kept reroll my worlds and I think the game got anoyed by me dieing over and over again, and it gave me an world which could be called easy mode. Tons of grass, carrots, berrys, rabits and even 3 beehives on the first Island. The second world greeted me with a graveyard right to begin with and also offered some 3 solo graves. There also lives an lonely Pig which might be an beefalo farmer, since his house is right next to the a field of beefalos. Since the graveyard is full of spiderhives I'm never runnig out of silk either. The third Island is the residence of the pigking, where I can trade my goodys from the graves into tons of gold. Island 4 then makes an 180° turn is is 98% Swamp with tons of tentacles. Maybe the games want's to give me a challenge after all, once I get ready for it, which I am now. It doesn't feature a tallbird nest or a rockfield, but it has some single rocks ones, which is enough.

Olia if ur really having that much trouble, u might want to consider watching some youtube vids where ppl show u how to kill things without taking damage at all. It takes a little getting used to the kiting, but to say that its hard, no, once u get the trick, u can use it on pretty much anything. If u dont want to spoil it for urself by watching videos i suggest u keep at it ^_^ Im telling u at some point u will be on the side of ppl that say that this game is a little too easy.

Well, I am not going to be rude or anything - instead I will tell you one single thing: However are easy games "ok" at first look they get extremely boring after aprox. 1 hour of gameplay - trust me, I like easy games, but I dont even remember their names. It is difficulty and challenge what makes games good. And worry not, even my girlfriend learnt how to play and she is übernoob. As has been said before, this game is as easy as you make it. More greedy you are, more times you die.

I found this game quite difficult during the first game because I had no idea what to do. After I spoiled myself paging through the dont starve wiki and learning everything about the game, it became extremely easy and now I can pretty much live forever every single game with any character, since the combat is incredibly easy to master.

It would definitely be easier for new players if there were some "hot tips" that occasionally pop up, which would give information to new players and maybe a menu setting to turn them off if you don't want to see them anymore.

It would definitely be easier for new players if there were some "hot tips" that occasionally pop up, which would give information to new players and maybe a menu setting to turn them off if you don't want to see them anymore.

That is interesting idea. But I think its much better to find all the things by yourself. To die is to learn.

That is interesting idea. But I think its much better to find all the things by yourself. To die is to learn.

Yeah that's true I spoilered myself before I started playing Don't starve, so it was quite easy on the first try. I'm like damn why did I watch that Let's Test. I could have more fun if i would have found all the things by myself, it doesn't matter if I would have died more often. I can't get the chance to be a noob in this game again.. it's sth. special. That sounds strange doesn't it? :o

I dont think something like that is needed. The developers created the game with the idea that there wont be any tutorials or other helping things.

What if you would ask the developers of Dark Souls to release an easy mode? easy I never liked the idea of the easy difficulty, and I dont think this game should have something like that.