Does flint respawn?

Arvetis

I'm not sure, I've never had shortage of flints in my runs.Also, don't get discouraged if there's something you don't like/would change. The game is currently in alpha (?) which means you can probably suggest a better way of doing things and help balance the final game. Start the game over with a new world ("Make New World" in the menu), play it a couple of times, then come back and tell us what you think, what you'd change, what you'd add.That's what most of us are doing at least :D

I was forced to explore the entire map because I was down to my very last piece of flint. I found one more and then TENTACLE got me. I used up my last meat effigy and ran back to grab my junk including the last 2 pieces of flint on my map. I can now make a pick and hack away at some rocks, but even those are in short supply.So my question is, after flint runs out -> I can't make tools -> I can't chop down trees or fight monsters -> therefore my only option is to slowly eat my reserves and berries until I die or get bored?Currently at day 41.

Edited by explosivelimes
because I was homeschooled

So, how could this be fixed?I suggest giving some real purpose to the shovel and let it dig holes when used on grass. This could be used, as I suggested somewhere else, to plant stuff, like pine cones and seeds, but also having a chance of digging up flint.Perhaps, crashing two stones together would result in 1 flint?None of this solutions are permanent (both require tools which consume flint). They would merely prolong the extinction of flint.Perhaps tools should degrade slower when used?

Well, I'd say the way to fix it is an elaborate version of the digging thing you just mentioned.If they introduce the "digging for stuff" mechanic, introduce other materials at very high tier (such as metals which need to be smelted, bla bla), and make the new tools more durable, this could work out if balanced correctly.

So, how could this be fixed?I suggest giving some real purpose to the shovel and let it dig holes when used on grass. This could be used, as I suggested somewhere else, to plant stuff, like pine cones and seeds, but also having a chance of digging up flint.Perhaps, crashing two stones together would result in 1 flint?None of this solutions are permanent (both require tools which consume flint). They would merely prolong the extinction of flint.Perhaps tools should degrade slower when used?

Those all seem very valid things, and I think the longer life of the tools would help, but what if the birds were used to also respawn the flint?

Good morning Don't Starvers!

So, how could this be fixed?

I suggest giving some real purpose to the shovel and let it dig holes when used on grass. This could be used, as I suggested somewhere else, to plant stuff, like pine cones and seeds, but also having a chance of digging up flint.

Perhaps, crashing two stones together would result in 1 flint?

None of this solutions are permanent (both require tools which consume flint). They would merely prolong the extinction of flint.

Perhaps tools should degrade slower when used?

I don't think this is even an issue. Let's not forget, this is Survival game, not farming one. Resource management should be important thing. Tho there should be fixed amount of stone and flint on all maps, so that it would be fair for everyone.

Or another viable option is some sort of hellish trader, that trades Tier 0 materials for Tier 1 ones. For example you could trade 64 Cut Grass for 1 Flint. But i feel like this option wont encourage people to think before making tools and using them.

Those all seem very valid things, and I think the longer life of the tools would help, but what if the birds were used to also respawn the flint?

I was going to say this too. Birds already carry lots of stuff around, why not give them twigs and rocks? Maybe even grass.

I was going to say this too. Birds already carry lots of stuff around, why not give them twigs and rocks? Maybe even grass.

Because they wouldn't be able to fly :) They may carry twigs and pebbles, but they would be too small to use them like handles for tools or to contain a fire.Now, grass, that could be possible. Even probable. They do make nests with grass, it wouldn't be rare for them to drop grass. Did I mention grass?But flint? I'm not sure I like that idea.

• Developer

Ha! I had anticipated the "flint death of the universe" problem, but I didn't think people would be hitting it yet. I like the idea of certain resources being finite in the world (just like in the real one). I think I may have to provide the player an escape mechanism to get to a new place (without dying) before you run out of anything critical. This might make a a good (part of?) an endgame.The late game is admittedly a bit sparse at the moment. We started development by tuning the first in-game week. I'm pretty happy with the way that plays, and it seems like people 'get' it, and enjoy the learning process that it provides. We're just now starting to flesh out the mid-game. Specifically, look for a lot more stuff to build, and some new dangerous creatures to keep the challenge level high. Don't worry, though - the late game will get some attention before our actual launch. :)

Ha! I had anticipated the "flint death of the universe" problem, but I didn't think people would be hitting it yet. I like the idea of certain resources being finite in the world (just like in the real one). I think I may have to provide the player an escape mechanism to get to a new place (without dying) before you run out of anything critical. This might make a a good (part of?) an endgame.

But this game is all about death :(

It's survival game.

What i mean is that you're actually supposed to SURVIVE, not build a farm and a house and have second lives and renewable resources. Maybe making world A LOT bigger would fix this issue to some extent? My world has 8 islands I've discovered.

Maybe there could be some sort of an option in the future for "level" of content? Or each character could have some sort of handicap?

On that note, each of 4 characters is harder to play with than the previous one. That influences your EXP growth too!

Edited by Ray

Ha! I had anticipated the "flint death of the universe" problem, but I didn't think people would be hitting it yet. I like the idea of certain resources being finite in the world (just like in the real one). I think I may have to provide the player an escape mechanism to get to a new place (without dying) before you run out of anything critical. This might make a a good (part of?) an endgame.The late game is admittedly a bit sparse at the moment. We started development by tuning the first in-game week. I'm pretty happy with the way that plays, and it seems like people 'get' it, and enjoy the learning process that it provides. We're just now starting to flesh out the mid-game. Specifically, look for a lot more stuff to build, and some new dangerous creatures to keep the challenge level high. Don't worry, though - the late game will get some attention before our actual launch. :)

Do you have a date in mind for the full release?And what is this talk of 8 islands? I explored everything and all i can see is the 1 island i am on... no way to leave it.

If I can make a suggestion, it's much more fun for me if the consequence of running out of flint isn't effectively game over, but some kind of other way of doing things that's more difficult or less convenient. Also, it's good if there's a way to eventually escape the flint dependency - that gives you a goal to work toward before you run out.