The Call of the Abyss

Silentdarkness1

William set Jack down near one of the chests. There was a Divining Rod lying up against another chest. Maxwell picked it up.

"Hm....you sound like you've done this before. But, I think I can get it going right without needing anything more. Yes....this should do just fine....give me a moment."

Clarice smiled. Maxwell spoke a chant under his breath. The head of the Divining Rod, which looked like a radio of some sort, suddenly combusted and partially melted, charred black. It turned on, of it's own nature, and emitted a garbled pinging noise.

"There we are. A bit messy, but it should be working now. Why don't you four see if you can find some light sources in those chests?"

"Sure, sure.."

Clarice opened the nearest chest, and nearly gagged. It was full of rotting balls of food.

"ECH! Nasty!"

Clarice slammed it shut.

Alex opened the chest next to Clarice, she smiled, Inside there was a rather sturdy looking walking cane and an amulet of sorts, it was amethyst and glowed slightly, there wasn't much in the chest aside from that...

She looked at the amulet carefully, something didn't seem right about it...

"Some kind of amulet," Alex replied, she put the amulet around her neck and everything went fuzzy, was it the amulet?

Suddenly everything went dark, Alex stood there, shivering, Hands reached out to grab her, she looked down at the amulet, it was glowing ominously, she tugged at it furiously, she just wanted it off.

She started shaking violently, the hands grabbed hold of her, she curled up into a ball, They were tugging at her clothes, her voice became high pitched, 'Make It stop, make it stop!, she screamed.

Her hands felt the cold metal around her throat, she tugged at it again desperately.

Edited by DivineProvidence

Alex gasped, was it one of the shadow hands, they slowly retracted into the darkness, she blinked, everything was clearer, her head was awful sore though, she turned and saw that William had thrown the amulet on the ground broken, she turned to him.

She took her inhaler from her bag and breathed in she couldn't breathe, "Thank....you.." She managed to get put, her voice raspy and still slightly high pitched, She turned to Clarice who had turned as white as snow. "....The..amulet," she pointed to it on the ground.

William picked up the shards of crystal from the now-broken amulet and crushed them in a hand. When he opened his hand again, they had reformed into a purple amethyst.

"Nightmare Amulets. Those devices speak to Them. Draw them close, to take someone away."

She slowly calmed down, taking deep breaths, "Thanks Clare, yeah you're right," She looked sheepishly at William, "Yeah, thank you again,William, trust me to try out the amulet after that whole fiasco with the arms earlier," she said pointing at her back,they twitched, She whispered to Clare "Was that real, the hands coming to grab me or was it in my head..."

William sighed and turned away.

"Alex.....please. I'm sure he knows that what he did was wrong...that's why he's trying to make up for it, remember?"

"You DO know that...right?"

"Very much so....it all seemed so harmless at first....but...I think that once Charlie was gone, I realized that I had just made a truly disastrous mistake."

"Huh, he did know I was taking it for a joke right?" Alex asked Clare, "Right??" She ran up to William, "Listen I'm really sorry, I know my sense of humour is terrible, remind me never to be a comedian," He ignored her, "I... I'm going for a walk...." She felt terrible, like literally horrible, she walked away with her head low so that people couldn't see her face, she turned back once and continued walking away.