The Call of the Abyss

Silentdarkness1

"Are you kidding me, that was priceless!" Jaquel said to Simon, "Enough!" Alex shouted at him, she went off next to the fire and grabbed a nearby torch, "Ha, not so full of yourself now, what's wrong Jaquel you scared of a little light?" She waved the torch in his face, Jaquel tried to grab the torch from Alex's hand, but she kept it barely out of his reach.

"I would listen to him If I were you..." Alex said turning around to face Jaquel, he spat on her shoes. She sighed and held out the torch and spoke quietly, "Apologise, now.." He glared at her and mumbled an apology, she was about to turn around but she saw him making a rude gesture at her, "Seriously?" She spoke, taunting him with the torch, he knocked it swiftly out her hand, In surprise, she backed away quickly, this was futile however since he practically lived in her shadow, he raised his hands and placed them around her neck, he grinned.

"No....You'll see, you'll all see....I'll give you a reason to be scared!" Jaquel was still blinded, he summoned shadow hands up from the ground, thankfully none had hit anyone, he held his head in pain, he had used far too much power, his eyes fell shut and he lay unconsciousness on Alex's shoulder, "I....I feel sorry for him, kind of, he seems...frightened, I don't know much about him or his kind but there's something...distant about him." Alex said softly, she didn't like him or anything, he was annoying and potentially dangerous, but he seemed lonely, she looked over her shoulder where he lay sleeping, he almost looked.....innocent. She laughed softly at that thought.

Alex shook her head politely, "No, he's no bother, it's fine," A faint smile traced her lips, she went to approach the fire but saw Jaquel's body begin to fade, she sighed and sat farther away from the fire than the rest, it was cold of course, almost freezing, she found herself shivering, with nothing to keep her warm, she just sat there staring into the forest, she almost thought she saw...eyes.

Clarice couldn't help but feel bad for Alex. She walked over and sat down next to Alex. She could see eyes, too. Clarice tried not to think too much about that. When Clarice sat down next to her, a passive warmth of sorts emanated around her, keeping her warm. And warming up Alex as well.

"Thank...you." Alex said in a hushed voice, it was not as cold now, just barely unpleasant, "I hope you don't think I'm antisocial or anything, it's just being near the fire hurts jaquel and he's already in a bad state," She explained occasionally looking over her shoulder to see if Jaquel was alright.

Alex smiled, she stared at the fire which seemed so far away, soon she became bored and she soon found herself searching through her bag for something to preoccupy herself with, her face lit up, she found her her sketch pad in her bag along with a few pencils and a rubber, sure there was no ruler but she could live with that, she began sketching a picture of Clarice, Alex had always loved art, I guess that's why she liked her job so much.

Alex lifted her head from her notepad and looked over at William and Jack, she turned to Clarice and whispered, "They look pretty serious, I wonder what they're talking about," She glanced over quickly, paranoia washing over her, what if they heard her, she looked down at her book and continued drawing.

Alex laughed, "Yeah, those gossips, I'm really curious now about what they're talking about," Alex said, pulling her hair out, a smile appeared on her face, there was a large pine tree right beside where jack was sitting, she whispered to Clarice, "Wanna play spies," she joked.