How to choose what character to be...

Wait so rabbits dont run away from Maxwell's shadows??? ...They do run away from Abigail....

And nightmare fuel? I thought the best way to obtain it was killing nightmares...

Maxwell seems to be designed to use insanity to his favor

The best way are Beardlings since they don't fight back and hurt your health and equipment. Nightmare Fighting is a last-ditch method of getting sanity back and also drop nightmare fuel as a consolation. 

The best way are Beardlings since they don't fight back and hurt your health and equipment. Nightmare Fighting is a last-ditch method of getting sanity back and also drop nightmare fuel as a consolation. 

I just find it extremely easy to kite them

Wait so rabbits dont run away from Maxwell's shadows??? ...They do run away from Abigail....

And nightmare fuel? I thought the best way to obtain it was killing nightmares...

Maxwell seems to be designed to use insanity to his favor

The Shadow Puppets act like a normal sanity monster, nothing around them is aware of their presence until they are attacked.

Another fun fact is that Tentacles can not hit them at all because of that.

The Shadow Puppets act like a normal sanity monster, nothing around them is aware of their presence until they are attacked.

Another fun fact is that Tentacles can not hit them at all because of that.

:/

So...free tentacle spikes? ...Oh wait...I just can go and foxface them , just have to wait till merms kill the tentacle.

That's still awesome though

Wilson; best at surviving. No draw backs.

Willow; best in the dark, Important to keep sane if you don't want to burn down the world. Character traits are all positive if you keep her sane.

WX-78; Starting weak and taking damage from rain make him a challenge. I think that makes him an exceptionally poor choice for adventure mode. Being able to eat spoiled food is a small difference to experienced player. A challenging choice in the start but he can be a real tank later on if you get enough gears.

Wolfgang; Having stats dependent on hunger make him good sometimes and bad others. An experienced player can make sure to keep him in fighting shape though, making him more helpful than not. Eating before battle is a good tactic. Sanity is more of a challenge with him.

Wickerbottom; Perhaps the easiest character. Not needing a science machine means a fast start. Higher sanity means you have to go through much more to go insane. In my experience the sanity problems caused by any food spoilage are more than made up for by her high sanity cap, same with sanity loss from books and they can provide real tactical advantages in the right situations.

Woody; He also gets a fast start. His secret is both an advantage sometimes and a challenge others. I find him to be fine until that one transformation that costs me everything. I remember one instance when I was fighting spider queens in a pig village. Killed lots as a beaver, but when I finally conked out I woke to find every pig in the village and transformed themselves from the monster meat. Other characters can pick up that meat before pigs eat it. The beaver cannot.

I have not unlocked Wes or Maxwell.

My tactic with Wendy is just to die on day 10 and cry... not good with her.

*snip of useful stuff*

wow that's pretty in depth

I can help you with the Wendy thing though! (day 228 is my best and it was with wendy)

Wendy;

Good for a quick yet nomadic start due to the reduced sanity loss, it gives you one extra day for every ten without restoring sanity (0.9X loss if I remember right), so its recommended you don't stop till you reach a good stop with a small amount of resources to help a setup and kill some spider nests as soon as possible preferably before they reach tier two.

Once you have a basic base (berry bushes and a few rabbit holes) you should focus on topping up enough sanity to summon Abigail then collect enough resources to make your base ready for winter and don't be afraid to tackle tier twos when Abigail is there since she can stun-lock and dispatch them with haste.

The rest is similar to Wilson, except with added beard hair and nightmare fuel farming which is another advantage of Wendy as the slower reduction makes it a bit safer to farm for a longer period of time

Wilson; best at surviving. No draw backs.

Willow; best in the dark, Important to keep sane if you don't want to burn down the world. Character traits are all positive if you keep her sane.

WX-78; Starting weak and taking damage from rain make him a challenge. I think that makes him an exceptionally poor choice for adventure mode. Being able to eat spoiled food is a small difference to experienced player. A challenging choice in the start but he can be a real tank later on if you get enough gears.

Wolfgang; Having stats dependent on hunger make him good sometimes and bad others. An experienced player can make sure to keep him in fighting shape though, making him more helpful than not. Eating before battle is a good tactic. Sanity is more of a challenge with him.

Wickerbottom; Perhaps the easiest character. Not needing a science machine means a fast start. Higher sanity means you have to go through much more to go insane. In my experience the sanity problems caused by any food spoilage are more than made up for by her high sanity cap, same with sanity loss from books and they can provide real tactical advantages in the right situations.

Woody; He also gets a fast start. His secret is both an advantage sometimes and a challenge others. I find him to be fine until that one transformation that costs me everything. I remember one instance when I was fighting spider queens in a pig village. Killed lots as a beaver, but when I finally conked out I woke to find every pig in the village and transformed themselves from the monster meat. Other characters can pick up that meat before pigs eat it. The beaver cannot.

I have not unlocked Wes or Maxwell.

Saved me the time to read through all that post.

No question he's a challenge, but actually, completely the opposite in Adventure mode.

He's more difficult to START in Adventure Mode from low stats and rain, but due to the...final challenge, you can simply consume gears and (without more spoiler details I'l just say,) you get a few worlds that can give you a lot of gears not even counting the Wooden Thing Chessboard in each of them. Having one slot take care of health, hunger AND sanity (especially if exposed to prolonged sanity draining effects for days,) makes him one of the BEST characters for Adventure mode as long as you understand you start with weak stats (but finish with 400 health 200 hunger and 300 sanity.) Of course, Gears for WX-78 then is one of the four things you might want to take depending on the world you get and your outcome. 

But I really can't go into when and when not without spoiling the worlds. 

He's more difficult to START in Adventure Mode 

Meh, unless it's King of Winter he'll be fine. Armor makes wonders and insanity still works on percentage. People experienced with WX will have no problems. The introduction of the Rooks makes getting gears even easier.

Personaly i found Wendy overpowered with Abigails help.Maybe not so good at boss fights cause abig probably will die if u dont manage to make her survive but u make epic multikills with her.some examples:a rly large swarm of cave spider,i make them fight each other then i spawn abig and throw to all of em and transform em instantly to meat,silk and eggs.also in the first days i tried to kill a befalo and abigeil started stunlock for a while 6-7 beefalo then died,left me to finish 2-3 beefalo with 1-2 hits each of em and more than 20 meat on the floor.

Dont forget that Abigail hits 40 AoE dmg every 1.5 secs at night and can tank 600hp.Nough said about her ;)

After that,a boosted Wolfgang if player can keep him fed and with tam o'shaner will hit really hard any single target like a beast.i cannot imagine how fast wolfgang tears apart with dark sword a boss.

Wilson is a safe choise.

Never played Wickerbottom but.. the use of her books makes me try a looot of op things and troll hard inside caves.

WX-78 seems like an rpg character.

Willows for me isn't something special.

Woody is a unique character and is up to preferences of game style of each player

Maxwell i can say that he is a lit bit hard cause you can easily die but i havent test him after last patch

And Wes... is Dont Starve hard mode.Thats all :razz:

well.. RIP Wolfgang, it was the winters chill that finished him.

while summer as Wolfgang was a lot of fun and winter foes were easy 

- Cleared chess biome in summer

- Killed 3 Mactusks in 10 days

the sanity and hunger management was very harsh, which forced me to take unnecessary risks such as; killing shadow crawlers while roaming in the hope of finding flowers or other sanity items, then I visited the beefalo and pengulls happened.. they all fought and I tried to help the beefalo survive, the pengulls killed me 

another reason I took these risks is because I found myself exceptionally short of food (even with 5 farms and about 15 berry bushes I saved for the winter..) besides monster meat which was in plentiful supply.... When sanity also caused issues I couldn't gain any good food either leaving me in a predicament; go insane and get killed or starve to death

and I tried a middle ground and cull one of the beefalos when the problem I described earlier happened, which was followed by a textbook winter touchstone death.

so all in all, Wolfgang is a fun character especially when supplies are plentiful, but the sanity and hunger management is too harsh for my playstyle

Should've hunted Koalefants for food, and used a Tent for sanity :/

I done the first part, didn't have enough grass for a tent.. the savannah the beefalo were in had very little grass as did the surrounding biomes

onto WX-78 found chess biome day 1 cleared it out day two... OP robot indeed, it feels a bit cheap to use him

Welp. Also 15 bushes wont' do anything with Wolfgang :razz:

I quickly realised that one =P

I didn't even get the opportunity to use a single crockpot (I only had 2 by the end). Wolfgang eats waaaaaaay to much for that! well with my playstyle anyway

I'm not even going to bother reaching winter with WX-78 it was too easy to upgrade him beyond most characters abilities andthe rest of the game would be the same

Archived