How to choose what character to be...

The girl that summons ghosts (Wendy if I am not mistaken) seems to be the most fun character to play as. I'll probably play with her.

that's pretty much what I tend to do, just wanted to see if any other characters fit my playstyle... it seems not.

after doing some testing I came up with this: (only relevant to my playstyle)

Wilson - okay, but a bit generic

Willow - no reason to even bother playing as them really...

Wolfgang - management is difficult and time consuming

Wendy - probably the best for me so far

WX-78 - just OP all I can say

Wickerbottom - marsh bases are very risky, and the tentacles are huge barriers to expansion

Woodie - good at first, then his ability becomes a hefty liability 

Wes - well wes is meant to be tough

Maxwell - I don't want to have to kill beardlings all the time just to keep some little shadow minions up

I quickly realised that one =P

I didn't even get the opportunity to use a single crockpot (I only had 2 by the end). Wolfgang eats waaaaaaay to much for that! well with my playstyle anyway

I'm not even going to bother reaching winter with WX-78 it was too easy to upgrade him beyond most characters abilities andthe rest of the game would be the same

I am on day 8 on my new Wolfgang world... All I have to say is...

WOLFGANG OP

just wait till you need to worry about food, you won't think so then

Yeah, he has no downsides, and the perk is not that great.

agreed

that's pretty much what I tend to do, just wanted to see if any other characters fit my playstyle... it seems not.

after doing some testing I came up with this: (only relevant to my playstyle)

Wilson - okay, but a bit generic

Willow - no reason to even bother playing as them really...

Wolfgang - management is difficult and time consuming

Wendy - probably the best for me so far

WX-78 - just OP all I can say

Wickerbottom - marsh bases are very risky, and the tentacles are huge barriers to expansion

Woodie - good at first, then his ability becomes a hefty liability 

Wes - well wes is meant to be tough

Maxwell - I don't want to have to kill beardlings all the time just to keep some little shadow minions up

Regarding WX and Wolf:

Yeah WX becomes powerful once you find gears. The drawback is having to eat 15 if you want his full upgrades and if you are NOT lucky finding the chess biome early or even by first winter,  he is 100 stats weaksauce.

Okay not as bad as Wes I guess. But as i said, can be the most powerful character in the game, and (when I play the robot) I like not having to worry about overproducing food sometimes if I want to explore more than my food would normally permit.

Wolf is a different kind of food management playing thing. One trick is NOT to fully restore him but keep him "mid fed" or in his "normal" state, and have food with you to boost him to "mighty" state when entering a needed combat situation. Not only does this mean knowing you foods and amounts, but also what you can carry with you regarding duration. 

And for sanity, have a tent ready. This is why it helps having savanna with rabbits and Beefalo as noticed the Beefalo ones have few grass. 

But I'll step aside and let the Strongman offer future tips for the Mighty.

Regarding WX and Wolf:

Wolfgang's perk plus WX-78's ability to eat spoiled food = MOST OP CHARACTER EVER.

So the only thing I like about him is the ability to eat spoiling food, but in its case it's not that great of a perk since ice boxes and drying racks exist. High stats are not that great considering in the late game with the best armor even the guardian does less than 1 damage. The lightning speed is random, and with the staff it drains a lot of sanity, so that's just up to player preference.

Wolfgang on the other hand get's that sweet bonus damage that other character can only dream off. All you have to do is keep him wimpy when not fighting and you'll be good. Sanity is not that much of a nightmare (even in caves you only lose just 4 more sanity daily) and once you get a Shanter and Belt of Hunger he becomes a character with no drawbacks.

So tl:dr if their perk doesn't matter at day 300 they're not good for me.

Wolfgang's perk plus WX-78's ability to eat spoiled food = MOST OP CHARACTER EVER.

So the only thing I like about him is the ability to eat spoiling food, but in its case it's not that great of a perk since ice boxes and drying racks exist. High stats are not that great considering in the late game with the best armor even the guardian does less than 1 damage. The lightning speed is random, and with the staff it drains a lot of sanity, so that's just up to player preference.

Wolfgang on the other hand get's that sweet bonus damage that other character can only dream off. All you have to do is keep him wimpy when not fighting and you'll be good. Sanity is not that much of a nightmare (even in caves you only lose just 4 more sanity daily) and once you get a Shanter and Belt of Hunger he becomes a character with no drawbacks.

So tl:dr if their perk doesn't matter at day 300 they're not good for me.

You have convinced me to play as Wolfgang. I'm a scrappy person when I play, might as well play the scrapper.

You have convinced me to play as Wolfgang. I'm a scrappy person when I play, might as well play the scrapper.

You know, I haven't played Wolfie or Wendy for a while, so might as well try the former. Teo, any food-management suggestions for those first days when you're looking for resources to set up a base? (That's my weak point for that character.)

You know, I haven't played Wolfie or Wendy for a while, so might as well try the former. Teo, any food-management suggestions for those first days when you're looking for resources to set up a base? (That's my weak point for that character.)

actually the first few days are a breeze, just live off butterfly wings and carrots its the prep for winter that's a total pain

actually the first few days are a breeze, just live off butterfly wings and carrots its the prep for winter that's a total pain

My plan is the bunny hutch/spider den farm with 5 bee boxes. Boxes are first so I can store up some extra, then just collect the meat in the morning.

My plan is the bunny hutch/spider den farm with 5 bee boxes. Boxes are first so I can store up some extra, then just collect the meat in the morning.

I didn't want to do caves until after the first winter; but again, BEFORE I have a base-how to manage food-was the question. 

Once I have a base with an Alchemy Engine, it's easy to make the bee Boxes/Rabbit farm/spider-farm thing. 

for those first days when you're looking for resources to set up a base? 

Only walk along the shore. Collect all Berries and Carrots, don't bother cooking them. Punch all the Butteflies you can. Stay wimpy and avoid fights until you have your base. Never eat above 105 hunger. 

Base near rabbits and Beegalo. Have 4 Bee Boxes and at least 30 Bushes set before day 15. After that, focus on getting a Spider Den and a Beefalo Hat. Then Kill a Koalefant ever 3-5 days. Use its meat to make honey ham. That's what you're gonna live on until you can get a steady supply of monster meat for bacon&eggs.

Only walk along the shore. Collect all Berries and Carrots, don't bother cooking them. Punch all the Butteflies you can. Stay wimpy and avoid fights until you have your base. Never eat above 105 hunger. 

Base near rabbits and Beegalo. Have 4 Bee Boxes and at least 30 Bushes set before day 15. After that, focus on getting a Spider Den and a Beefalo Hat. Then Kill a Koalefant ever 3-5 days. Use its meat to make honey ham. That's what you're gonna live on until you can get a steady supply of monster meat for bacon&eggs.

TY sir! I did forget butterfly scavenging, that will help; thanks to both you and Craig_Perry for that. 

The rest was just specific details I wasn't sure on (4 bee boxes and maintain health at 105.) 

Oh, with the Beefalo change, is it still worth going after manure with them, or do I need  pigs too for the 30+ manure?

Oh, with the Beefalo change, is it still worth going after manure with them, or do I need  pigs too for the 30+ manure?

Notice how I didn't include farms...

Beefalo's manure is still better than nothing and they can provide defense against hounds all day long. The wool is great fuel too.

Now I'd prioritize fertilizers for the bushes first than the grass. The savanna should have enough grass for your first winter even if you don't manage to fertilize the one your planted yourself.. But yeah, if you can get pigs going on days 10-15 you should be fine. Remember to feed them the flowers, carrots and berries you find in their villages if you're doing good on food.

Notice how I didn't include farms...

Beefalo's manure is still better than nothing and they can provide defense against hounds all day long. The wool is great fuel too.

Now I'd prioritize fertilizers for the bushes first than the grass. The savanna should have enough grass for your first winter even if you don't manage to fertilize the one your planted yourself.. But yeah, if you can get pigs going on days 10-15 you should be fine. Remember to feed them the flowers, carrots and berries you find in their villages if you're doing good on food.

(Was assuming all berry bushes and the fertilizer was for it if in a savanna of course with no farms.  Then transplant twigs and later  more grass. With "Honey Ham" Wolfgang, wasn't planning farms except as a later luxury. Maybe one or two for the occasional Dragonpie  junk food snack ;) )

Okay wasn't sure if I could get enough timely manure from Beefalo or not, but the option I asked about seems to depend on the worldgen. Will look for pigs to build houses and/or find them close enough for that as an option by day 15, or focus on the Beefalo if not. 

Guessing with him I'll need clothing for sanity management later on for caves if I don't wait for winter and hunt the Tam O Shanter, but I can figure that out a lot easier once I'm surrounded by restoring foods and a tent. Thanks again! 

Okay wasn't sure if I could get enough timely manure from Beefalo or not, but the option I asked about seems to depend on the worldgen. Will look for pigs to build houses and/or find them close enough for that as an option by day 15, or focus on the Beefalo if not. 

Guessing with him I'll need clothing for sanity management later on for caves if I don't wait for winter and hunt the Tam O Shanter, but I can figure that out a lot easier once I'm surrounded by restoring foods and a tent. Thanks again! 

Yeah, Savanna has plenty of grass but gathering it requires more time than when it's in nice rows near your camp. Also you get even more grass by digging up tufts from nearby biomes. So I prefer that.

Well, considering usually they have at least a patch of flowers going, villages are great for manure. But yeah, considering your luck you should be careful.

Even at day-around sanity drain he loses only 4 points more than others. Most Crock Pot meals restore 5. So...

you gain 4 less sanity points from meals than others, but its still a slight profit

Time to try out and get owned by play Wolfgang again! It will be nice not running as much from the spider swarm when I decimate them though for my future spider farms. *Thinks happy Honey ham thoughts every time their monster meat drops*

you gain 4 less sanity points from meals than others, but its still a slight profit

Oh, so now people start taking that 5 sanity in consideration huh? :p

You could also plant some flowers near your campfire and release bees there. A flower a day will make up for the debuff and the bees will make more than one a day...

Mostly it depends on your play style and what you want to do in the game, Wanna destroy things? Wolfgang. Want to have it easy? WX-78 etc.

Nothing really else to say.

Well you could get a little more in depth, that's something more to say.

Hate worrying about warmth in Winter? Play Wilson.

Hate making torches, and wish you had an infinite light source? Play Willow.

Want to hit harder and/or use up all that excess food you could be making? Play Wolfgang.

Hate dealing with squads of enemies and losing significant sanity at night? Play Wendy.

Just want a massive health and sanity pool? Play WX-78.

Hate needing to find gold just to make things like backpacks and shovels? Play Wickerbottom.

Looking for a unique experience? Play Woodie. (I don't play Woodie, so this isn't the best way to sum him up.)

Balloons? Balloons! Play Wes.

Is halving your starting health not an issue? Play Maxwell and bask in his amazing abilities.

Well you could get a little more in depth, that's something more to say.

Hate worrying about warmth in Winter? Play Wilson.

Hate making torches, and wish you had an infinite light source? Play Willow.

Want to hit harder and/or use up all that excess food you could be making? Play Wolfgang.

Hate dealing with squads of enemies and losing significant sanity at night? Play Wendy.

Just want a massive health and sanity pool? Play WX-78.

Hate needing to find gold just to make things like backpacks and shovels? Play Wickerbottom.

Looking for a unique experience? Play Woodie. (I don't play Woodie, so this isn't the best way to sum him up.)

Balloons? Balloons! Play Wes.

Is halving your starting health not an issue? Play Maxwell and bask in his amazing abilities.

I was mostly making an example but yeah you've wrapped it up for me.

Usually when i saw a Deerclops with Wendy i had 2 options:1-freeze him and instagrill him "BOOM" with 10xgunpowder,2-If i wanted the eye,i kited him 2 times on the tooth trap field.
But with Wolfgang today i just did this:When i heared that deep sound that his approaching,i made a fire,warm up my stone and fitted log suit 100%,tam o'shaner,dark sword and full belly and hp.... then just sticked to him without even evade his massive attacks and he felt down in a few seconds.... wow :loyal:  Wolfgang OP :razz:

Usually when i saw a Deerclops with Wendy i had 2 options:1-freeze him and instagrill him "BOOM" with 10xgunpowder,2-If i wanted the eye,i kited him 2 times on the tooth trap field.

But with Wolfgang today i just did this:When i heared that deep sound that his approaching,i made a fire,warm up my stone and fitted log suit 100%,tam o'shaner,dark sword and full belly and hp.... then just sticked to him without even evade his massive attacks and he felt down in a few seconds.... wow :loyal:  Wolfgang OP :razz:

I almost feel sorry for Dearie...almost. 

Archived