[WIP Collab] Charlie Character Mod

Seyph

The premise is turning this lovely lady into a character mod. You may know her as either Maxwell's assistant Charlie, or as the night monster, the Grue.

post-283942-0-29786000-1378820475.png

Perks/Powers:

I think you might be better off making it so part of the game for her is avoiding becoming the grue fully as in if she becomes the grue fully you loose.

Basically remove the grue from the game but make it so in darkness transforms you eventually into the grue. 

However have this be levels of transformation with 4 levels that you gain in darkness and slowly loose in light. Where basically given no access to other means of reducing your gruesomeness to not fully transform over a few nights you would have to spend a good deal of nights near a level 4 fire during the nights. Other means of reducing your gruesomeness might be be picking and eating flowers (non evil) eating non meat food killing monsters befriending bunnymen and pigmen. Ways to gain gruesomeness might be picking/eating evil flowers, eating nightmare fuel, killing innocent creatures, eating meat type dishes and befriending nasty creatures

• Normal Charlie (NC) - light happy friendly (the picture above)
  • Dark Charlie  (DC)- Gothic looking Charlie
  • Gruesome Charlie (GC) - Not sure maybe  Cruela devil'esq?
  • Grue - Non playable basically reach this and loose (full monster, would just need a short transformation animation)

As for powers:

I would have each phase handle insanity differently where NC in general goes insane faster, DC has normal sanity loss and GC takes about half value in sanity loss.

Then have follower mechanics where depending on which charlie you are at make it so that NC would have an easy time befriending nice creatures and perhaps make the duration last longer.  DC would befriend as normal. for GC nice creatures would be naturally hostile to you but nasty creatures like mermen and shadows would be neutral and be able to be befriended.

Team so far:
Artist - Sukoushi
Coder - Nycidian
Coder - XainFaith
Tester - Craig_Perry

Writer - KidneyBeanBoy

In a few days I'll likely make a proto version of the mod using other animations to code up all the transformations etc just a proof of concept.

If we get any other coders what would be useful is looking at changing behaviors of creatures my guess is the brains would be where to do this.

Also we are going to need to get someone to do strings some of which probably will need to change as charlie changes the changing i can easily do scripting but it would be nice to have someone to do all the strings.

In a few days I'll likely make a proto version of the mod using other animations to code up all the transformations etc just a proof of concept.

If we get any other coders what would be useful is looking at changing behaviors of creatures my guess is the brains would be where to do this.

Also we are going to need to get someone to do strings some of which probably will need to change as charlie changes the changing i can easily do scripting but it would be nice to have someone to do all the strings.

on the topic of strings, they aren't going to be easy.

since Charlies character, personality etc isn't very clear as of yet we will likely need someone who is rather experienced in character judgements or something

...we will likely need someone who is rather experienced in character judgements or something

The "we" sounds like someone volunteering to be part of the team...

;p

Edit: And one can see my reading skills suck as apparently you are on the team Welcome aboard.

Yeah.. I think they made her look kind of creepy in my drawing. XD

Tweaked it to make her look less creepy (hopefully?) and more sheepish.

attachicon.gifcharlie.png

Her right eye (left to us) need to move in towards her nose just a touch but other than that its looking very good.

+1

On a side note you could make gruesome charlies animation really dark and semi transparent making her sort of a conglomeration of a person and a shadow to fit with how you drew the grue shadow behind here. Unless you already have an idea what you want gruesome charlie to look like.

On a side note you could make gruesome charlies animation really dark and semi transparent making her sort of a conglomeration of a person and a shadow to fit with how you drew the grue shadow behind here. Unless you already have an idea what you want gruesome charlie to look like.

I would advise you to do that in the code.

inst.AnimState:SetMultColour(red, green, blue, alpha)

gives you a pretty good control. But of course it has limits... should be enough for alpha and saturation though.

Alright My Weazley mod has reached a stopping point (at least for now) so I will star work on coding charlie

I was looking at starting with getting the visual aspects coded in so that means the ui element for Gruesomeness and the gruesomeness being effected by dark/light and the animation transforms.

For the gruesomeness meter we need to figure our an icon. Hunger has a stomach, insanity has a brain and health has a heart any ideas what gruesomeness should be?

As for the transform at the moment I will likely use the following which i can change easily when I get the real animations.

Normal Charlie: wendy

Dark Charlie: willow

Gruesome Charlie: wickerbottom

Since I have yet to mess with the ui aspect the game this could take me a few hours or a few days I have no idea.

How is Charlies Animation coming along?

Alright Here is the every basics charlie_0.1.zip

post-290854-0-64356600-1382013523_thumb.

• It has a working gruesome meter that goes down as it gets dark and up slightly in light.
  • At 70 gruesomeness the character switches from wendy to willow at 30 to wickerbottom, these of course will be changed for custom assets.
  • The grue doesn't attack in the dark for this character only.
  • It not visible but it prints out your dead from a function when you hit 0 gruesomeness.

The hard parts left for me to figure out are:

• How to save gruesomeness on game save and how to load it.
  • How to change follower behavior and add follower behaviors.

The other stuff should be very easy.

I really could use some art assets when you get a chance but until then i'll continue to jury rig it.

Fair Warning: The portraits are the wrong characters as I didn't bother with any art that wasn't necessary.

Edit: here is a chart of how much loss there is per second depending on light.

FYI: This chart is not accurate to the uploaded mod this is accurate to the updated mod I am working on at the moment.

post-290854-0-58751800-1382021517_thumb.

The amount of light depends on the sources of light obviously but it varies from 0 with no light to about .7 at twilight and to about 1.3 in the day.  

Fires and torches add to this by a certain amount, with s level 4 fire adding about .9 illumination to the above.

Saving and loading your gruesomeness is actually really easy if you handle it in a component. Sanity has an example where you can see components OnSave and OnLoad functions. Using a component will also give you the ability to easily extend the functionality compared to handeling everything in a prefab.

Saving and loading your gruesomeness is actually really easy if you handle it in a component. Sanity has an example where you can see components OnSave and OnLoad functions. Using a component will also give you the ability to easily extend the functionality compared to handeling everything in a prefab.

It is already in a component i'll look at sanity later. But thank you.

I know I'm not a member of the collab, but I thought I'd just throw in my two coins.  I'm honestly not a huge fan of the current 'gruesomeness' meter (No offense @Nycidian) .  I think that it might fit more if the icon was Charlie's shadow, starting off perfectly normal, then slowly deforming into something like on Charlie's portrait as the meter goes down.

I know I'm not a member of the collab, but I thought I'd just throw in my two coins.  I'm honestly not a huge fan of the current 'gruesomeness' meter (No offense @Nycidian) .  I think that it might fit more if the icon was Charlie's shadow, starting off perfectly normal, then slowly deforming into something like on Charlie's portrait as the meter goes down.

It a placeholder so I could figure out how to actually put a custom icon in and make sure it worked I'm not the person doing the art.

Currently my suggestion to our artist is a flower (like the one in her hair) that wilts, but I'm not even going to attempt that as I have coding to do. 

The smile just was easy for me to do and visually easy to see, which is why I did it but again it is a placeholder.

As of right now Sukoushi seems to be MIA so no art has been done past what is posted. But my guess is RL interfered and they will be back ASAP then the look of the mod will get better. The mod currently is more in a proof of concept stage than anything else.

Could I also suggest that you do the Recalc of the gruesomeness in the component itself. Currently you use

inst:DoPeriodicTask(1, function() gruesomeness:Recalc(inst) end)

You could alternatively put an OnUpdate(dt) function into your component. Again like sanity does and again just to have more/easier control over your things, but it's more of a personal preference. Other than that I really like how it looks so far. Just waiting for awesome art  ^^

After poking around some it seems that the actual action of gaining a friend is not directly tied to the brain however if you want custom behavior then you would need to implement some things in the brain to follow the com model that don't starve uses.

So for befriending a rabbit one would need to override the rabbit prefab to add in some code to allow for it to become a follow of the player. Further more if you wanted custom behavior when the rabbit is a follower of the player this would be implemented in the brain as part of is behavior or decision tree. In any which case i should be able to help out and it seems to be pretty straight forward any tricky parts will be with custom behavior itself. Getting the befriending process to last longer it self should be fairly straight forward as well.

If you like i can setup a temporary chat room at some point and we can talk about it in more detail and you can let me know what kind of project setup you have for a code repo if you have one or not etc.

Regards XainFaith

If you like i can setup a temporary chat room at some point and we can talk about it in more detail and you can let me know what kind of project setup you have for a code repo if you have one or not etc.

Regards XainFaith

Sure anytime you want to do that I would prefer voice chat to be honest but I can do typing if necessary but you will have to deal with some sssllooowwwwww typing.

Archived