We need your ideas for spells

So you might or might not have seen me post something in this thread. But I hope that not a lot of people have seen it since there wasn't a lot replies.

For the Halloween mod we're working on I added a "witches wand" which has a system that let's you allow to "equip" spells to it. Currently we have 6 spells implemented which should be working. But the title says why I'm starting this thread.

I want all your ideas for spells! They can be from your favourite game, book or movie or your own creation, basically everything goes. Just keep in mind that due to limited time some ideas might not be implementable right away, that concerns specifically new artwork, new prefabs (modified ones might work) and modifying entities persistently across saving and loading (all efects will wear off when saving).

If you have an idea I'd be more than happy to hear it  ^^  You can also create the complete spell which would include:

-Name

-Quote from the witch that invented it (to hint at its abilities)

-Description

-Researchcost

-Castingcost

-Effect

We would of course try to balance things out as good as possible and might do slight changes to spells if that's okay for you. But everyone who submits a spell that gets implemented will of course be credited for that.

I'm looking forward to seeing some cool stuff, don't disappoint me  : P

EDIT: Current spells are

-Jack o' Lantern by LibertyOfTheAether

-short distance teleport

-crow rage, crows attack your opponents

-rabbitition, transform an opponent to a rabbit

-power of love, make spawner (i.e. pighouses, beehives...) spawn additional mobs

-bonemeal aura, same as the growing book of Wickerbottom

-undertaker shovel, summon a shovel that can spawn graves when killing things, by Lawrence

-Chaotic Order by Craig_Perry

-Hells Blaze by Craig_Perry

-Transparency/Shadow Refugee by TeoSS69/Lawrence

-Transmutation by TeoSS69

-Vampirism by Blewcheese

-Return by DragonBoy36

-Immolation by TeoSS69

-Spell of the Seasons

-This Little Piggy by LibertyOfTheAether

-Call to the Fishgod by KidneyBeanBoy

-Cold of the Sky by Craig_Perry

Updated OP, but I don't think you need to know what's already there to have ideas for new stuff  : P

Well, it prevents giving the same idea twice.

Transparency : Makes you immune as long as it's active at the expense of 5 sanity per second. (Has durability that goes down with usage, lasts 8 RL minutes)

Immolation : Set ablaze enemies that get too close but also burns you a little (1 health per second for 30 seconds) 10 uses.

Transmutation : Turn Nitre into Gold, Rock into Marble and Gold into a random Gem. Cost 20 sanity per cast and can turn entire stacks per cast. 20 uses

Winters Breath : Freeze mobs and put out fires in an area. Cost 50 sanity and has 5 uses

Summer's kiss : Thaws mobs, removes snow from ground, and melts down the ice from ponds in an area. 50 sanity and has 5 uses.

dark of night: turns all mobs to their "were" state costs 50% of current health and 15 sanity per use

hells blazes: sets everything on screen on fire, mobs and plant life alike 25 sanity on use

cold of the sky: kills all mobs onscreen (except bosses) including you (unless you are by a fire) costs 50 hunger and 100 sanity on use

organised chaos: teleports every mob onscreen to a random location, sets your sanity to zero and teleports you to a random location

A couple spells, just cuz.

Jabbawhap: Turns things into random things, but randomizes your sanity. Waverly quote: Good for turning dragons into sweet rolls. 20 uses.

Dreamland: Makes you fall asleep, but when you wake up, all mobs are asleep, and nightmares roam the world for an entire day. 2 uses. Waverly quote: Have you ever had a dream like this?

Lots of cool ideas, I'll see what I can do about it.  BTW, the current implementation doesn't support "uses" of a spell. But since you all seem so fond of that I might implement that  ; )

Turns things into random things

That was something that I was already thinking about, but it seems I can't find any kind of table that contains all the prefabs that can be spawned. O only know a table that contains all entities so I could randomly swap the entities but not replace by any prefab.

Necromancy/liche queen

Digs up a grave, but will always yield a friendly ghost instead of a random drop. Costs the same sanity diggin a grave does (either 15 or 25 I can't remember and am not near my pc) as well as an equal amount of health. Friendly ghosts still have an insanity aura.

Quote: That blonde girl would love this.

Name and quote aren't fantastic feel free to change em.

Necromancy/liche queen

Digs up a grave, but will always yield a friendly ghost instead of a random drop. Costs the same sanity diggin a grave does (either 15 or 25 I can't remember and am not near my pc) as well as an equal amount of health. Friendly ghosts still have an insanity aura.

Quote: That blonde girl would love this.

Name and quote aren't fantastic feel free to change em.

Sounds great, but this one has the problem I mentioned in the OP. It would require to modify a prefab persistently across saving and loading. I might modify the ghost through modmain to mak that possible, don't know yet though.

What about a spell that summons a Jack o' Lantern that spoils much quicker? It would fit into the Halloween theme pretty well.

It's easy to implement, fits the theme and is not overpowered. I guess I'm gonna make that the default spell. EDIT: Done  ^^

We're at eleven spells already, keep 'em coming.

Excellent! Another idea. How about a spell that converts a Pighouse into a Rundown House? I imagine such a spell being a bit more expensive due to its potential utility.

I might be missing the obvious, but why is that spell so useful? I'm not saying I wouldn't add it, I'm just curious.

Concerning the cost, I'm quite sure that all costs in the first release will be off and people will give feedback so they can be adjusted poperly after being playtested.

I might be missing the obvious, but why is that spell so useful? I'm not saying I wouldn't add it, I'm just curious.

Concerning the cost, I'm quite sure that all costs in the first release will be off and people will give feedback so they can be adjusted poperly after being playtested.

Eh, maybe I'm just overestimating how useful it might be. Being able to put angry, fast and hostile fish frog men anywhere you want wouldn't be any worse than placing a spider sack somewhere, and it already has a cost of sacrificing a pigman house. I stand corrected, sir.

Eh, maybe I'm just overestimating how useful it might be. Being able to put angry, fast and hostile fish frog men anywhere you want wouldn't be any worse than placing a spider sack somewhere, and it already has a cost of sacrificing a pigman house. I stand corrected, sir.

Oh, right. It spawns Merms xD

That's mean thing to do, put a Merm-House in the middle of a pig village. Sounds like fun. I'll see if I can make it modify the groundtiles to become swampy as well, though I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

Name- Summon Ghoul

Quote - Call the dead to steal life

Description -Summons a ghoul to steal life from your opponents

Cost - 40 sanity

Effect - Summons a ghoul who does a certain amount of damage then comes back and heals you for half of the damage done

Extra Notes - YES i have been playing wizard101 lately.

Oh, right. It spawns Merms xD

That's mean thing to do, put a Merm-House in the middle of a pig village. Sounds like fun. I'll see if I can make it modify the groundtiles to become swampy as well, though I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

Maybe you could look at the code for the spider sack? I know it's not really the same, but it overlays web tiles over the surrounding area, and maybe it just might be applicable to overlaying other kinds of tiles.

Name- Summon Ghoul

Quote - Call the dead to steal life

Description -Summons a ghoul to steal life from your opponents

Cost - 40 sanity

Effect - Summons a ghoul who does a certain amount of damage then comes back and heals you for half of the damage done

Extra Notes - YES i have been playing wizard101 lately.

I'm not sure if I get this one... you summon a mob that gives you life? If so then it's totally out of reach. New mobs need a huge effort and it's not in the timeframe for this mod. But thanks for the suggestion anyways ^^

I'm not sure if I get this one... you summon a mob that gives you life? If so then it's totally out of reach. New mobs need a huge effort and it's not in the timeframe for this mod. But thanks for the suggestion anyways ^^

Hmm... maybe you could use a retextured version of abigail? like, it would attack an enemy a few times, then however much damage done divided by 2 you get healed by, if thats even possible

Hmm... maybe you could use a retextured version of abigail? like, it would attack an enemy a few times, then however much damage done divided by 2 you get healed by, if thats even possible

Sure it's possible, but I have an exam in two weeks so the time I have for coding is reducing fast. That's why I'm a but reluctant to modify prefabs to suit our purposes since it's more time consuming than most of the other stuff I did. But if I run out of ideas for "easy" stuff I'll look into it  ; )

EDIT:

We have 18 spells by now, does someone want to  test all of them for bugs? My PC is so bad that I can't play DS fo more than 5 minutes  :'(

Archived