I Want Achievements For Don't Starve On Steam!

Oh god,this again.

Well if the discussion has been done to death, you mind summing up for me why they aren't in?  It's a relatively trivial thing to do and goes a long way towards providing direction in play which is something unwinnable games sorely need.

Well if the discussion has been done to death, you mind summing up for me why they aren't in?  It's a relatively trivial thing to do and goes a long way towards providing direction in play which is something unwinnable games sorely need.

Here you can see kevin sayin' what's gonna happen with achievements in general and in PS4,where they're going to be mandatory.Scroll down to kevin's messages.

Here you can see kevin sayin' what's gonna happen with achievements in general and in PS4,where they're going to be mandatory.Scroll down to kevin's messages.

So in other words he has a personal, irrational dislike for them.  Shame, Don't Starve is one of the ideal types of games for extensive achievements to actually be a core part of expanded play.

There are two reasons Don't Starve is an ideal type for Achievements.  First, it lacks direction later in the game due to it's unwinnable nature.  Achievements would provide readily available (but fully optional) goals for late game play in order to give players something to do and especially some motivation to take on more advanced challenges.  Second, because it is exclusively single player achievement seeking cannot lead to play styles detrimental to other players. Poorly thought out achievements in multiplayer games can lead to achievement seeking players to do things that don't directly contribute to winning the game, which is bad for those players who are in the game for the sake of competition and especially bad in team games.

So in other words he has a personal, irrational dislike for them.  Shame, Don't Starve is one of the ideal types of games for extensive achievements to actually be a core part of expanded play.

I don't think don't starve is a game where achievements fits.Achievements usually condition player's playstyles and the addition of'em to don't starve will probably turn the game into a linear one.Build science machine,build alchemy engine,build crock pot,survive winter,build beebox...

If they end addind non-joke achievements I just hope they don't add achievements with unlockables.Those are even worse,those're actual videogames' cancer.

I don't think don't starve is a game where achievements fits.Achievements usually condition player's playstyles and the addition of'em to don't starve will probably turn the game into a linear one.Build science machine,build alchemy engine,build crock pot,survive winter,build beebox...

If they end addind non-joke achievements I just hope they don't add achievements with unlockables.Those are even worse,those're actual videogames' cancer.

No, DLC is videogames cancer.  Stripping out content that could be unlocked through play and then selling it back for money is the epitome of evil.  Achievement-based unlockables are the exact opposite of that, rewarding the player for playing.  Keep in mind that there is no real difference between unlocking a special character for, say, completing adventure mode or playing for 80 game days, or unlocking that character for completing the achievement for completing adventure mode or playing through 80 days.  Achievements are just there to quantitate your in game actions and perhaps suggest new courses you may not have thought of yourself.

No, DLC is videogames cancer.  Stripping out content that could be unlocked through play and then selling it back for money is the epitome of evil.  Achievement-based unlockables are the exact opposite of that, rewarding the player for playing.  Keep in mind that there is no real difference between unlocking a special character for, say, completing adventure mode or playing for 80 game days, or unlocking that character for completing the achievement for completing adventure mode or playing through 80 days.  Achievements are just there to quantitate your in game actions and perhaps suggest new courses you may not have thought of yourself.

Dlc is not because it's avoidable.What's wrong with just having the ulockables,why you need an achievement?

Well, I don't think achievements would affect gameplay so long as they are accomplishments not chores, for example, chop down your first tree, build your first suit, complete levels in adventure mode. Not something like "Chop down 10.000 trees, kill 100 monsters." These things are a no no.

Look at minecraft for example, I (and other people I am sure) have had it for about 2 years and as much as I play it, I never actually gave a **** about achievements.

The only reason for achievements from a sales point of view is to get people committed to play. After having achieved so and so many achievements the player is supposed to have the feeling of being done with it so the next purchase is the only way to a fresh feeling of accomplishment.

Also, why not read the official explanation why achievements are not in Don't Starve: Intrinsic vs. Extrinsic rewards in Klei’s latest game: Don’t Starve by Jamie Cheng and Kevin Forbes

and Chris Hecker: Achievements considered harmful?

No, DLC is videogames cancer.  Stripping out content that could be unlocked through play and then selling it back for money is the epitome of evil.

(...)  Achievements are just there to quantitate your in game actions and perhaps suggest new courses you may not have thought of yourself.

Cutting out pre-launch content and selling it later as DLC is evil. Having content delivered after the primary life cycle of the product expanded can be a very good thing depending on a value for money equation which can be subjective of course.

And no, achievements do explicitly not only just quantitate raw progress because the way they work is normative in the way that there is lack of an not yet achieved achievement so there is quality. The achievement is already there - you just did not yet get it, get it?

But please read what those people above had to say about that. It's really interesting and might well worth the time invested in this - at least more than killing of the 100th kreep for that picture of a fake medal.

As an option, simple.

That's like saying to have some other arbitrary "features" in your game, why? As an option.

Achievements serve no purpose at all but to desperately tell the player to keep playing their terrible game long enough for them to get all the pats on the back with these 'milestones' and supposed 'achievements'. It detracts from the core game itself. Sure you can say "Oh but I won't be affected by it" Well good on you, for having some self-respect and decency, but the most of the gaming scene usually doesn't.

Can't you just create goals for yourself? You don't NEED an achievement that says "Defeat 3 (whatever) in one day" or "Survive in the caves for 100 days consecutively". You can just think of a goal yourself and do it.

Because there's a huge difference between a self imposed challenge and a challenge offered by someone else?  I don't do self imposed challenges honestly.  A large part the fun in any given challenge is coming up with techniques the challenge maker might not have thought of, which doesn't work when you're making the rules yourself.

That's right, Kevin won't put acheivements in because he doesn't like them.

LOOK AT THAT IT'S HIS GAME HOLY-

He is free to not put them in, but I am free to criticize that decision.

Archived