Charlie As A Playable Character?

Nova Arson

I definitely think it would be cool - though obviously an official character would be better than a mod.

It's a really pretty character design, so I hope she's included!

I do as well. If I knew how to actually contact the makers and such, I would tell them some of the ideas I had for her. Oh well. We'll just have to wait and see I guess

So, I've been kind of toying with the idea of making a Charlie character mod since her true appearance has been released, and finally thought that maybe I could give it a try. I could do her art, but as far as her stats/perks go... I'm not quite sure what she should have. Also, I'm a complete code noob, so maybe someone wants to do a collab with me? 8D *crosses fingers*

A little brainstorming on my part:

Title: "The Grue"

Quote: "Oh, Maxy, what have you done...?"

Stats:

Health - ???

Hunger - ???

Sanity - 50

Perks:

• Charlie by day, Grue by night.
    • Functions like Woodie's beaver curse?
    • Nightmare meter?
  • Shadow creature followers?
    • Can't be killed at all?
  • Preys on neutral/friendly mobs (pigs, etc)?
    • Drops nightmare fuel upon death?
I'm kind of iffy on these perks as a whole. I'm not the greatest brainstormer, admittedly. Not sure how Charlie should deal with the insanity mechanic, either.

Thoughts?

So, I've been kind of toying with the idea of making a Charlie character mod since her true appearance has been released, and finally thought that maybe I could give it a try. I could do her art, but as far as her stats/perks go... I'm not quite sure what she should have. Also, I'm a complete code noob, so maybe someone wants to do a collab with me? 8D *crosses fingers*

Stats:

Health - ???

Hunger - ???

Sanity - 50

Perks:

• Nightmare meter?

I'm kind of iffy on these perks as a whole. I'm not the greatest brainstormer, admittedly. Not sure how Charlie should deal with the insanity mechanic, either.

Thoughts?

pop on over to kleislist, more people will see it there

I think some of those perks could prove very interesting for gameplay, if you do go ahead with it I'll try and help out with testing brainstorming etc when I can

Stats:

Health - ???

Hunger - ???

Sanity - 50

Perks:

• Nightmare meter?

Thoughts?

I think you might be better off making it so part of the game for her is avoiding becoming the grue fully as in if she becomes the grue fully you loose.

Basically remove the grue from the game but make it so in darkness transforms you eventually into the grue. 

However have this be levels of transformation with 4 levels that you gain in darkness and slowly loose in light. Where basically given no access to other means of reducing your gruesomeness to not fully transform over a few nights you would have to spend a good deal of nights near a level 4 fire during the nights. Other means of reducing your gruesomeness might be be picking and eating flowers (non evil) eating non meat food killing monsters befriending bunnymen and pigmen. Ways to gain gruesomeness might be picking/eating evil flowers, eating nightmare fuel, killing innocent creatures, eating meat type dishes and befriending nasty creatures

• Normal Charlie (NC) - light happy friendly (the picture above)
  • Dark Charlie  (DC)- Gothic looking Charlie 
  • Gruesome Charlie (GC) - Not sure maybe  Cruela devil'esq?
  • Grue - Non playable basically reach this and loose (full monster, would just need a short transformation animation)

As for powers:

I would have each phase handle insanity differently where NC in general goes insane faster, DC has normal sanity loss and GC takes about half value in sanity loss.

Then have follower mechanics where depending on which charlie you are at make it so that NC would have an easy time befriending nice creatures and perhaps make the duration last longer.  DC would befriend as normal. for GC nice creatures would be naturally hostile to you but nasty creatures like mermen and shadows would be neutral and be able to be befriended.

Not sure if that sounds interesting to you or not but if it does I can help code it. though honestly this would benefit from a few people as it is rather complex.

P.S.

There might be a way to do the above without multiple animations as well. I notice that some of the effect for sanity are pretty complex in this game I wonder if its possible to replace a single color with another color in a single animation while in the game? If so you could make a a charlie animation and use a bright color your not using and paint over the animation with that color in areas you want to be able to change colors on. Then when normal charlie set that color as one color and when Dark charlie set it as a darker goth color it might take a small amount of work but much less than new animations.

Not sure if this is possible in this game but other games do this so it would not surprise me if it was possible.

@Nycidian

Those ideas are great! I highly approve. :biggrin:

P.S.

There might be a way to do the above without multiple animations as well. I notice that some of the effect for sanity are pretty complex in this game I wonder if its possible to replace a single color with another color in a single animation while in the game? If so you could make a a charlie animation and use a bright color your not using and paint over the animation with that color in areas you want to be able to change colors on. Then when normal charlie set that color as one color and when Dark charlie set it as a darker goth color it might take a small amount of work but much less than new animations.

Not sure if this is possible in this game but other games do this so it would not surprise me if it was possible.

I'm having a little trouble understanding what you mean by this. Could you elaborate a little more, please? Or if you have an example from these "other games" you mention, that'd be great too.

If you look at any game that allows you to choose a color this isn't done by making separate animations or pictures with different colors but by  changing a one color for another value examples would be starcraft. I don't know enough to know if this is even feasible in this game however.

And honestly just having 4 sets of animation might be better anyway, as you can different movements for each giving more flavor.

Oh, I think I get what you mean now. I'm not sure if it is possible for a character atlas on its own, but hey, what do I know? I'm just an artist, not a coder. :razz:

Recoloring an image, or part of it, and saving it as a new atlas is simple enough on its own, though, so it's no biggie. Keep it simple and all, yeah? I'm perfectly fine with making 4 sets of atlases. Custom animations/stategraphs is out of my field, though.

I can do both of those but the animations would be very time consuming and as long as you can use the default animation and retool the tex file then it will probably be fine. Though later we might want to customize the stategraph a bit to do away with some animations when inappropriate such as the scared animation when dealing with gruesome charlie. Or even add the scared animation when ever it gets dark instead of sanity dependent.

Honestly staegraphs are fairly easy to change the hard part is not breaking something as while I can code and get what I want I tend to spend twice as much time fixing things I break as making new code. But if nothing else its a challenge.

But anyway, if you want to get the ball rolling you should probably start a WIP/collaboration Thread and maybe look for a few more people. I can give a great deal of time to this in a few days however I want to finish stage one of my Weazley mod before i really jump in to this, I just need to finish a few more foods is all.

That is assuming you want to still do it, If so I look forward to working with you.

I could imagine Charlie with a secondary name that would follow the character W rule, like a stage name but Maxwell will still always call her Charlie.

She could loose sanity by light source and during day light  and be immune to grue attacks in darkness. 

She would be equipped with night vision and sanity boost in the darkness and times when its getting dark to kind of create a balance so nightmare creatures wont constantly appear to kill her.

As special ability item she could also have a rechargeable item that for he cost of sanity gives her some shade  or a infinite tent to encourage sleep trough the daylight.

As for the grue attack effect on other players, i could see her have a terrible curse that each night her shadow leaves her body and scatters into random directions which kills other players normally. And by each grue attack, Charlie will always reply that she sences another poor soul getting hurt. So its like a part of her is what kills in the darkness.

Just some small ideas i wanted to share.

Archived