Too Much Turkey Trouble

Killing or luring Turkeys has become a nightmare for me, they seem to eat so quickly that I can no longer use berries to lure them as before I get close enough to land the deciding blow, they have already finished their snack and are moving on.

Since the tweak for Gobbles I have found it increasingly hard to kill him. He now eats berries at an incredible rate and god forbid if there's more than one Gobbles in the area. I have resorted to the age old tactic of running the turkey to the edge of the island to kill him which can take quite a while. I have tried putting berries on the floor, and multiple stacks of berries to keep the turkey busy but because they eat so fast, they either just destroy all of my berries or they run as Soon as I get close. They react very quickly so finding the opportune moment to pounce them seems very difficult. I don't know if this is just me but I am struggling with turkeys a lot!

Edited by Corey
This is a suggestion, not a bug.

I have to agree with Agorah. Gobblers are not a nuisance, they're like a querilla squad... And they're the reason my berry farm is always right next to the edge of the island. I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be the way to deal with them :p

Perhaps we could make them blind from behind? So we could sneak up on them and brutally end their reign of berry terror? o.o

Well Kevin intended to make them more of a menace to reduce berry farming and that has indeed succeeded. I do feel like they are spawning a bit too often now though, when you have 3 of them near your berries you might as well run the other way, since your berries are all gone.

Gobblers certainly do the trick... except my farm is near the coastline and it's a simple matter to run them to the edge of the island and pin them to it. Then it's drumsticks for dinner! Oh sure, they do snack on a few berries though, so I wouldn't call them useless in their assigned task... I just think they shouldn't spawn from the berry bush, but rather come at night to feast on your berries when you are the least able to protect them and less likely to chase them.

I put my berries next to my campfire and pluck them at night. Gobbler comes out of a bush AFTER u collected berries and then jumps into the nearest bush with berries he can find. If they are all empty he goes in an emtpy one after a while. Usually 1 gobbler means 1 plant eaten.

During the day they are impossible to get rid of tho, u are correct. I have never killed one other than 1) it gets stuck on berries planted 2 close to eachother, blocking him, or 2) drive him to the edge of the island.

I think berry bushes block movement. I was thinking of surrounding your berry bushes or the berry you use to lure the gobbles with something that blocks movement, but berry bushes is the only thing (apart from structures) that I can think of.

This game could use some kind of barricade block structure so that we don't have to build fences out of chests.

I think berry bushes block movement. I was thinking of surrounding your berry bushes or the berry you use to lure the gobbles with something that blocks movement, but berry bushes is the only thing (apart from structures) that I can think of.

Yup, like boulders, trees, and graves, the berry bush is treated as an obstacle. God knows that I've planted my bushes too close to one another in a few places and they've blocked my character's pathfinding. Kinda annoying.

This game could use some kind of barricade block structure so that we don't have to build fences out of chests.

Well right now people are using trees planted from pinecones as makeshift fences. Of course I'm always partial to a good wooden wall or fence suggestion. :)

The game is easy enough. It's supposed to be a challenge to survive, not "oh wow I lost a few of my berries what am I gonna do"

the game is obviously not about making one giant camp and living there forever. You have to go out and explore and deal with things that want to kill you and mess you up. It should be a challenge to make it to day 30.

The game is easy enough. It's supposed to be a challenge to survive, not "oh wow I lost a few of my berries what am I gonna do"

Well the game still needs some tweaks here and there to balance the gameplay. Right now I'm never worried I'll starve... which is kinda ironic.

You know a "rot" mechanic would help curb any huge food stockpiles. Right now I have chests literally filled ith food and they've been there for ages. If that food went bad and spoiled... well that would be a problem if I was counting on it. I believe Kevin even brought up this topic once before.

the game is obviously not about making one giant camp and living there forever. You have to go out and explore and deal with things that want to kill you and mess you up. It should be a challenge to make it to day 30.

That all depends on how you play. I say the game should be what you want it to be. If a player wants to spend their entire game playing with the base camp, I say more power to them. That's not my cup of tea, but then maybe they don't like my tea either. If that's their idea of fun, who are we to say otherwise? However there should be more to the game than just camp management, so players who want a challenge should be able to go out there and find it. Obviously ramping up the difficulty is an option, but it should be handled via the difficulty level so players know what to expect.

That all depends on how you play.

That's pretty much what I was going to say. Tweaking the gobbler more than it is at the moment doesn't serve much purpose. Might be a pain for less hardcore survivalists, but it's not impossible to deal with. And at this stage of the game, there is no other nuisance to farming. And that's just berries. You can farm pig meet and don't have the hassle. It's one early nerf, I don't see it as game breaking at this point.

Pick your berries at night, gobbler will flee in a bush, he doesn't like being out at night :)

That's pretty much what I was going to say. Tweaking the gobbler more than it is at the moment doesn't serve much purpose. Might be a pain for less hardcore survivalists, but it's not impossible to deal with. And at this stage of the game, there is no other nuisance to farming. And that's just berries. You can farm pig meet and don't have the hassle. It's one early nerf, I don't see it as game breaking at this point.

Pick your berries at night, gobbler will flee in a bush, he doesn't like being out at night :)

Yup, personally I prefer to set up a 'base camp' in a small safe island, and then strike out for the other islands, gathering berries and such to feed the one pig I keep near my camp for manure so I can make some farms and such, then chase some birds for seeds to plant on em, stuff like that, I honestly don't use berry bushes for much other than that.

The thing that makes man so dangerous is our ability to adapt to change, so, perhaps you should adapt to the changing environment and learn from it?

Edited by Llyr

I have decided that using the edge of the island is crummy as the turkey occasionally spawns outside of the island that way, but making the same pattern with trees works too... my five campsites (before I died) came to resemble stars from the tree-vees

The 'difficulty' level should be the scarcity of resources and creatures.

There should be a limit of 'monsters' spawning to the point where you can run spiders and pigs to extinction if you aren't careful, and end up not able to produce or farm meat off of them.

- - - Updated - - -

The 'difficulty' level should be the scarcity of resources and creatures.

There should be a limit of 'monsters' spawning to the point where you can run spiders and pigs to extinction if you aren't careful, and end up not able to produce or farm meat off of them.