[SUGGESTION] Teleporter pad

Hi,

First of i wanna say, Don't Starve is an awesome game! Im hooked already :p

I maybe have a cool suggestion for the game tho:

A "Teleportation pad".

Since they days are quite short, and when you have build a tiny camp for yourself, with a Sience machine and Alchemy engine and such. When you go out exploring and your far away from your "camp" when it turns night, you might wanna go back to your camp, so thats where the Teleportation pad might come in handy.

How i tought of it was this way:

1 Central teleportation pad (at your base camp)

and 1 return pad which you can make whenever you want (at expensive costs tho).

Are there any players who would like to see such a item in game?

Love to hear your suggestions :)

Sincerely,

superaxel

your idea is not really new, it got suggested already.

I do not like it for several reason:

1) short daytime is there for a reason, this is a survival game, you have to plan what you do, for how long you do it, and when the best time is to stop doing it and go back to your camp

2) exploring the map is slow, yes, and this is also part of the survival aspect. planning out exploration trips that last for more than one day just needs to be done, an "auto return" button would again be against the whole survival aspect

3) teleportation platforms ala enterprise are far to sci-fi for the overall game flaire.

edit: oh, and pardone me, welcome to the forum.

You make a good point, im seeing this as a high research and resources cost. So the uses will be very limited.

im not suggesting an auto return button or anything.

The initial pad which will be stationed at your "camp" will be a high cost research and resources item. Same as a return pad which you will build when you are exploring (also at high costs).

i understand where you are comming from. But i think this would make a great item for the game :)

your idea is not really new, it got suggested already.

I do not like it for several reason:

1) short daytime is there for a reason, this is a survival game, you have to plan what you do, for how long you do it, and when the best time is to stop doing it and go back to your camp

2) exploring the map is slow, yes, and this is also part of the survival aspect. planning out exploration trips that last for more than one day just needs to be done, an "auto return" button would again be against the whole survival aspect

3) teleportation platforms ala enterprise are far to sci-fi for the overall game flaire.

edit: oh, and pardone me, welcome to the forum.

Agreed, and besides, I like traveling trough the islands.

Let me just start by saying it's good to hear you have ideas and I hope you'll continue sharing them on the forum.

That being said, I'm against teleporters, waypoint gates, or any other means of instantaneous transportation. IMHO, Don't Starve pits you against hunger and darkness. Darkness is commonly the result of night right now, which means you're really against the clock. The amount of time you have from sunrise to sunset is like a race... you need to get tasks completed or distances travelled within that period before nightfall or you run the risk of being caught somewhere you shouldn't, or don't want to, be. God knows in my first playthrough I died because I forgot to bring light sources with me and ended up on an island with no such resources. I literally ran for my life to get to someplace safe and failed. Still, it was fun.

If you implement instant travel then that's lost. Better to think of ways to speed up travel, like suggestions we've seen to use tall birds as mounts, for faster travel.

Personally I love it. It fits with Wilson's Science/Magic theme, it provides an end-game type item to work towards, and they'd be very handy. They should just be very expensive - and perhaps limited. For instance, the item required to make them is only obtainable by a boss creature, of which there are only 1-3 or so per world. The rare material could even be used my multiple recipes, requiring you to carefully choose how to use it.

Personally I find I can make comparisons between Don't Starve and Minecraft every now and then, and in this case I'm reminded of how in Minecraft there was always a thrill in racing back to your home once the sun started to set... and the growing dread when the sun set and the monsters started to come out. I think Don't Starve currently benefits from this feeling as well, and that's one of the things I enjoy.

Hmm, no fan of teleporter here. But I liked the idea someone had while talking about caves. That there are different caveholes where you can pop in and out. And not only one entrance. Nowhere near a teleport but still.

And talking about dusk, I think it should be shorter. If I start running back to camp when dusk sets in I almost never have to face the darkness. Or maybe I dont trvel far enough during late time of day :p

Hmm, no fan of teleporter here. But I liked the idea someone had while talking about caves. That there are different caveholes where you can pop in and out. And not only one entrance. Nowhere near a teleport but still.

That might have been me. I started this thread on the topic (and yes, I do realize my thread isn't the first to discuss underground areas):

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?1235-Spelunking

Back then I was thinking it would be another way to travel between islands, but later I thought if the land bridges were ever removed and replaced with another means of reaching islands (i.e. raft/boat), then the caverns could also serve as another way to connect the islands.

And talking about dusk, I think it should be shorter. If I start running back to camp when dusk sets in I almost never have to face the darkness. Or maybe I dont trvel far enough during late time of day :p

I was 1 1/2 islands away when tragedy struck me. Two islands without grass and me with none, can you believe it? After that I learned to always carry an emergency torch, and it's even saved my life since then (when Kevin changed the duration fires burn).

I think maybe not exactly teleport as we know it.. but some kind of instant magic transfer between too specialy constructed machines that cannot be moved on another place, nor they cant be destroyed. Maybe it would be usable only once a week or so (otherwise its charging). Imagine you have one machine at the very far island with rocks and tallbirds and the second one at your camp. I really hate those journeys. They took me around two days and nothing is really dangerous..

I think maybe not exactly teleport as we know it.. but some kind of instant magic transfer between too specialy constructed machines that cannot be moved on another place, nor they cant be destroyed. Maybe it would be usable only once a week or so (otherwise its charging). Imagine you have one machine at the very far island with rocks and tallbirds and the second one at your camp. I really hate those journeys. They took me around two days and nothing is really dangerous..

...that's still a teleporter isn't it? Calling it a different name doesn't change what it is.