A solution to boring nights / tip thread

There's always those nights where there is nothing to do other then sit and wait for day.Usually you'll open steam browser and browse for a bit. But unless you're browsing in a VERY VERY small box, you leave your character unattended and vulnerable. So I managed this: http://i.imgur.com/saBOd00.jpgThis is a combo of Don't Starve in window mode, Glass2k and a browser of your choice.Glass2k can apply transparency to any window you want, with CTRL+SHIFT+(number). Disable right click transparency box in settings, else you'll lag the game a fair bit.Just thought I'd share that. Also if you want in the meantime, misc. tip thread!

It's rare I'm sitting still for a night. Night only modifies how you do what you do, it doesn't really prevent you from doing much. In fact, there are many things that are best done at night. If you want to cure your boredom, just play a few endless night worlds (as Willow). You'll stop being bored.

Thats why fire pits need durability.

Why? Do stones explode IRL? If they would, i would do it smart and would just dig a hole for the firewood or something.

I say make flint more common, and everytime you have to reignite the fire one flint is consumed. I already have an exact idea about the mechanics.

Why? Do stones explode IRL? If they would, i would do it smart and would just dig a hole for the firewood or something.

I say make flint more common, and everytime you have to reignite the fire one flint is consumed. I already have an exact idea about the mechanics.

that would so eat all your flint! How about a chance that the flint would be removed.

that would so eat all your flint! How about a chance that the flint would be removed.

Hmm, that could work too.

Firepit without flint: can't ignite anything. Useless.

Using flint on it would make it a normal fire pit, with a chance of consuming the flint. So you don't have to carry flint around all day.

Hmm, that could work too.

Firepit without flint: can't ignite anything. Useless.

Using flint on it would make it a normal fire pit, with a chance of consuming the flint. So you don't have to carry flint around all day.

still seems more like a survival simulator mechanic, which, i think the devs DON'T want.

I really should look into a tree farm and firepit combination away from my base camp, especially during winter. I'm going insane anyway (abigail makes sure of that), so I may as well be productive.Especially during winter, Chesty's usually got a gob full of live rabbits. It was pretty messy when a hound attack hit me at that camp.. snow rabbits everywhere in the dark!

Edited by Zourin

Getting flint is very easy, i normally have around a stack of flint on day 2-3, but STONE, oh god.. Stone is the worst!

Getting flint is very easy, i normally have around a stack of flint on day 2-3, but STONE, oh god.. Stone is the worst!

Exactly! You get how much flint out of a rock? 2-4 or something?

Now if we used my idea, consuming a flint every reignition, it would consume one flint every day, or even less when you decide to keep it ignited. You could just keep constantly throwing wood onto the fire to prevent it from running out.

That would mean, the game (or just the world) would end eventually. Which don't starve is (or was) aiming for.

Miners hat!!!!! so much better than a torch, you get the straw hat back when its used up, you only need 1 gold and 1 firefly to make a new one each time and they last for a good amount of time.Imo time is too precious in this game to waste the nights!

Oh, and don't forget the shaving of Beefalos! This is why I was so opposed to Q when he suggested to make sleeping a requirement of the game. There's plenty of things to do during the night. Sleeping is just a waste of valuable time, imo.

Summer nights: Travelling to the area I'm going to be working in during the day, or jogging back to camp. Exploration wise, it's a good time to see where all those roads and paths go, since you can cover a lot of ground and don't need to see very far to follow them.Winter nights: A little trickier, since travelling too far without fire can be hazardous, this is usually when I take time to lay flooring and expand my base. If sanity dips a little too low and I start getting Night Hands, then it's nap time in the tent or off to collect beardlings. If I need a lot of meat or a puffy vest, then I gather up all the jerky, sticks, and twigs I can and start tracking the elusive furry white meat-beast.My problem with the miner's hat is the finite firefly resource. I would much rather use them as path markers in the gaps between roads.

Edited by Zourin