A courtesy letter for the DST General thread

I enjoy conversations here at the times when people have ideas and would share theirs, or when it were to consider other's idea while either they'd counter proper in ways to say that "maybe that wouldn't be wise to be implemented" or "perhaps there could be another solution" kind of responses, it does hurt though to see people when someone just calls something "that's a dumb idea" or just in general talks down on other people and their experiences or requests when we want to see the game in ways that it may have not had before.

Not all ideas can be great, but we can sure discuss and think why they might not be, what problems they could cause and what we should consider for game's health without making it into a flame war.

I'm here just to ask for those people that really been rather unpleasant to the few that just want to have fun and write something here to not be mean to others and consider that they are people too and they have their experience and opinions.

Not all of us are here extreme veterans nor are we all there at the times, sometimes we come drunk or too tired after daily activities and write something sillier than usual. We shouldn't demean people over these things unless they are very heinous and unpleasant.

I get salty too at the times, I write a lot and overwork myself thinking, some people here sometimes make me steam but I choose to just walk away from the forum and do something else more fun. Sometimes you can't fight these people and best to often either ignore or block or just focus on writing your thoughts while not minding them.

My point is - if you don't like it, don't write in a manner that wouldn't be constructive, it's best to keep empty opinion to self. And to those that do see these messages - don't reply to them if you don't want to. It won't be productive and might even be a great waste of time and energy. I suggest to work with people that might want to actually discuss, if there are none maybe there is not much to be discussed about the topic.

I wanna see more positive mindset around the forums and the brainstorming to be a lot more chill and fun as well as the experiences we share, even small ones, not to be shut down by those that are there to hate.

Let's keep a positive mindset, be silly, creative, enjoy starvation in-game and whatever this game is becoming I think Klei knows best what they are thinking for this game.

(P.S. I've had a lot of convos outside of forums of how the site has been very hostile and uninviting to talk in, I'd wish for people to be a little bit more relaxed around here and a little bit more welcoming respite for anyone new coming in, regardless of skill level. There is extremely high mockery as to what forums had became and it is rather a shame, as this place should be good for all to discuss but seems like only few here dominate now or have little to say and will come just to fight. Let's not have that please.)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Health 7
  • Big Ups 3

52 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

I enjoy conversations here at the times when people have ideas and would share theirs, or when it were to consider other's idea while either they'd counter proper in ways to say that "maybe that wouldn't be wise to be implemented" or "perhaps there could be another solution" kind of responses, it does hurt though to see people when someone just calls something "that's a dumb idea" or just in general talks down on other people and their experiences or requests when we want to see the game in ways that it may have not had before.

Not all ideas can be great, but we can sure discuss and think why they might not be, what problems they could cause and what we should consider for game's health without making it into a flame war.

I'm here just to ask for those people that really been rather unpleasant to the few that just want to have fun and write something here to not be mean to others and consider that they are people too and they have their experience and opinions.

Not all of us are here extreme veterans nor are we all there at the times, sometimes we come drunk or too tired after daily activities and write something sillier than usual. We shouldn't demean people over these things unless they are very heinous and unpleasant.

I get salty too at the times, I write a lot and overwork myself thinking, some people here sometimes make me steam but I choose to just walk away from the forum and do something else more fun. Sometimes you can't fight these people and best to often either ignore or block or just focus on writing your thoughts while not minding them.

My point is - if you don't like it, don't write in a manner that wouldn't be constructive, it's best to keep empty opinion to self. And to those that do see these messages - don't reply to them if you don't want to. It won't be productive and might even be a great waste of time and energy. I suggest to work with people that might want to actually discuss, if there are none maybe there is not much to be discussed about the topic.

I wanna see more positive mindset around the forums and the brainstorming to be a lot more chill and fun as well as the experiences we share, even small ones, not to be shut down by those that are there to hate.

Let's keep a positive mindset, be silly, creative, enjoy starvation in-game and whatever this game is becoming I think Klei knows best what they are thinking for this game.

(P.S. I've had a lot of convos outside of forums of how the site has been very hostile and uninviting to talk in, I'd wish for people to be a little bit more relaxed around here and a little bit more welcoming respite for anyone new coming in, regardless of skill level. There is extremely high mockery as to what forums had became and it is rather a shame, as this place should be good for all to discuss but seems like only few here dominate now or have little to say and will come just to fight. Let's not have that please.)

Some people just have their ways.

I'd just put a hand over it eventually we'll be old at some point we will remember these moments and have nice memories and a laugh.

There'll always be someone that will have some sort of opinion we won't like so we have to deal with that.

People will be people.

Stay safe and have coolio day :) 

Cheers and Don't Strave!

• Like 3

For people who don't pay attention to suggestion and feedbacks sub forum, I think there are some good posts deserves more attention than those here in General.

But I think in general, people like beefs. It gives people an urge to write a reply or keep on commenting. After all, this is entertainment first, constructive feedbacks second.

I think it's ok that people are being unpleasant. We just have to call them out in their individual post, or moderate them when they are too unpleasant. That's freedom (in western world, at least).

Plus, few think their posts were unpleasant when they posted it.

Posted (edited)

I'm unable to understand people because I'm literally autistic and a psychopath clinically (big reveal here) and only understand concepts and also language barrier is a huge thing for me so basically I'm unable to replicate perfecly your request, however I'm intelligent enough to understand that these concepts and ideas matter to you. So I myself will try even harder to make that great for you if it is possible and I'd like to be called out when something I say is offensive or agressive sometimes. Just know that my intentions are 95% always for the great good development of DST and for the experience of every different type of person to be flawlessly enjoyable. Of course that scenario is impossible and absolute perfection is never achievable, but just because it is unachievable doesn't mean it shouldn't be chased. I consider everyone in this forum a friend, like literally as weird as it sounds. I even had some heated debates on my first language on different discord servers to the point where the guy was literally planning to do very bad things to me IRL, and I still in my brain had this thought that he was just exaggerating and I instantly forgave him. So yeah, in my messed up brain you're all buddies.

If I sound too family friendly from here on out just know it is not sarcasm. This request you did was basically a confirmation of how you guys think, so If I'm hurting by being me then I'll definitely change it.

Edited by Swiyss
  • Like 1
  • Health 1

6 hours ago, goatt said:

For people who don't pay attention to suggestion and feedbacks sub forum, I think there are some good posts deserves more attention than those here in General.

But I think in general, people like beefs. It gives people an urge to write a reply or keep on commenting. After all, this is entertainment first, constructive feedbacks second.

I think it's ok that people are being unpleasant. We just have to call them out in their individual post, or moderate them when they are too unpleasant. That's freedom (in western world, at least).

Plus, few think their posts were unpleasant when they posted it.

I disagree on the part of people being unpleasant, I think it just allows people to be toxic or be unproductive most of the time. It's allowed, to an extent, but calling it out felt appropriate to say the least when it sometimes gets out of hand and there's a needed snap of realization that we're here to have fun and discuss about a game than cause chaos and war.

Suggestions and feedback forum is at best a suggestion of discussion, but it's there mostly to have some sort of suggestion post for the devs to try implementing a mechanic, while I consider general discussion the extension of that where you could bring those ideas into wider discussion, since it's the main stage around here for any discussion at all. Suggestions and feedback to me looks like a less messy way for devs to keep track of requests while general discussion is for the mess and brainstorming and well general discussing to see if the forum would consider these ideas valid and if they've got their own two cents to put into it.

Personally when it comes to forums I try to have some courtesy and be considerable of other's ideas, but people often don't really consider the current game's balancing or it's mechanics into play to want any kind of discussion of change. It often sounds like they are already disappointed in how the game is going and are there just to argue further. I get so distracted by my own ideas and discussion that I just get distracted and keep writing till I snap out of it or tire out to not try anymore.

I'm deeply passionate in discussing things of DST and I get distracted a lot in a conversation to often be met with disappointment that noone else is cooking anything. It won't deter me from posting or just having fun writing here, but as a person that played this game for 9k hours now I wish people to at least acknowledge where the game's direction is going and how it state is to just, well, adapt to it and discuss with interest.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

I disagree on the part of people being unpleasant, I think it just allows people to be toxic or be unproductive most of the time. It's allowed, to an extent, but calling it out felt appropriate to say the least when it sometimes gets out of hand and there's a needed snap of realization that we're here to have fun and discuss about a game than cause chaos and war.

You are suggesting censorship that people are not allowed to do certain things. But people should have the freedom to be toxic. And the forum has known rules for people who are too toxic or unproductive. I think those rules are good enough and shouldn't be changed. Causing chaos and war is unavoidable side effect of a learning process or discussion.

3 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Suggestions and feedback forum is at best a suggestion of discussion

Suggestion and feedback has better technical and more productive discussion. They are more on point, more concise, easier to read, and have less war or chaos.

But frankly, that's precisely why less people are there.

More than half of the post in general discussion should be moved to feedback and suggestion. It includes rework idea, skill tree ideas, ocean content suggestions, balancing ideas, new item suggestions, etc. But why do people still post in general discussion? Because it's more entertaining to the op and the readers, and moderators rarely move them to suggestion and feedback, because it encourages participation.

It is not fun to remove war or chaos in a social media. It is not fun to keep the category clean. It is not fun if we lose all level of toxicity (because the sense of vengence and justice is fun and attract participation).

4 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Personally when it comes to forums I try to have some courtesy and be considerable of other's ideas, but people often don't really consider the current game's balancing or it's mechanics into play to want any kind of discussion of change

4 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

I'm deeply passionate in discussing things of DST and I get distracted a lot in a conversation to often be met with disappointment that noone else is cooking anything.

Me the same. War and chaos are not fun to me either. But banning it will wildly discourage participation. You will make general discussion more similar to feedback and suggestion.

If that's really what you want, you might as well just post there.

29 minutes ago, goatt said:

Snip

I'm not encouraging by saying any of this as censorship or moderation, this is far from what I meant. What I'm mostly asking is common sense and to those that do care about my point here to at least consider that some people here are just to have fun and bring their side of things on the table without needing it to create unnecessary toxicity.

This serves more of a call out post than request of higher moderation, asking for common sense and generally to have the place more relaxed.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

11 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

This serves more of a call out post than request of higher moderation, asking for common sense and generally to have the place more relaxed.

I'd like that, however I don't think this will happen. I see this exact same issue with other places.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

18 minutes ago, Well-met said:

This place is already very tame, I think you are a little too sensitive friend.

My sensitivity is nothing to do with when JoeW has to come and clean up the mess. I think it's healthier to call out people in general once in a while, sometimes need to give some sense into people. Common sense and all that.

49 minutes ago, Well-met said:

Just wait until another skill tree update releases.

Also many threads have been locked recently because of big crazy arguments.

• Like 2
  • GL Happy 1

2 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

What I'm mostly asking is common sense and to those that do care about my point here to at least consider that some people here are just to have fun and bring their side of things on the table without needing it to create unnecessary toxicity.

I appreciate all that. Just a reminder that a lot of toxicity is discovered in the hindsight by their posters. People don't necessarily know they are hurting others as they are doing it. As far as I know, very few people would hurt knowingly hurt others for no reasons. What I mean is, asking people to self-monitor to elimiting toxicity will be largely be uneffective. That's why there is a popular subreddit called r/AITAH, because people don't know. Common sense is subjective and will not be very helpful in self-discipline.

I'm not invalidating your message. But I think the forum has good enough environment and the moderators have done an excellent job. People may still feel a little unsatisfied, and there is definitely room for improvement, as always. But good enough is good enough, that's the bright side of the story.

As someone who usually writes constructive replies, I can tell you my experience. I got more positive reactions when I wrote (what I consider as mildly) tilting replies as experiment. I'm autistic. I like concise technical replies. But I'm in disadvantage in term of interaction because people prefer emotionally provoking (slightly toxic) replies to say the least. That's not my thing. But it's inevitable because (slightly) toxic posts attracts (more) attentions. People may not like it after reading them. But people like to (tend to) read them. That's the game of social media. Negative emotions are as effective as positive emotions, if not more. Many people will be drawn to toxic posts and will post them. That's why I called "entertaiment" instead of pleasure, in my previous reply.

If you hope to clean up the forum a bit more (which is probably also what I would prefer), it may be too clean for other forumites. So I think it's cool as is, for most of us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Well-met said:

This. This post is like putting a disabled person on instagram and expecting the comments to be nice

Crazy how asking people to be a bit more thoughtful, kind and considerate of others when communicating about a shared passion is a controversial take. It really doesn't cost too much effort to remember that people on the other end of the screen are real people with emotions and struggles and trying to treat people respectfully. 

• Like 9

59 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Disagree!

Sassy, sarcastic and somewhat passionate comments leads to creative ideas. 

Im always down for a heated debate. :wilsoalmostangelic:

Heated debates are fine, it's the unproductive types where it feels onesided sometimes is what gets to feel like talking to a wall. There's always spice in every conversation.

• Like 1

The community guidelines that everybody agrees to are at the top of every page. 

I have warned one person in this thread and suspended another. 

Keep things polite and on-topic or move on and don't reply. 

• Like 6
  • Health 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Big Ups 2

On 5/8/2024 at 11:11 PM, Frosty_Mentos said:

I think the general rule of thumb is to try not to be a d. Sometimes people slip up but for the most part i think people try their best. 

As has been mentioned, some people may have a generally harder time, but that's why being being a bit compassionate is important. (I'm very well aware I over step the mark at times, i try not to :P)

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, goatt said:

You are suggesting censorship that people are not allowed to do certain things. But people should have the freedom to be toxic. And the forum has known rules for people who are too toxic or unproductive. I think those rules are good enough and shouldn't be changed. Causing chaos and war is unavoidable side effect of a learning process or discussion.

Suggestion and feedback has better technical and more productive discussion. They are more on point, more concise, easier to read, and have less war or chaos.

But frankly, that's precisely why less people are there.

More than half of the post in general discussion should be moved to feedback and suggestion. It includes rework idea, skill tree ideas, ocean content suggestions, balancing ideas, new item suggestions, etc. But why do people still post in general discussion? Because it's more entertaining to the op and the readers, and moderators rarely move them to suggestion and feedback, because it encourages participation.

It is not fun to remove war or chaos in a social media. It is not fun to keep the category clean. It is not fun if we lose all level of toxicity (because the sense of vengence and justice is fun and attract participation).

Me the same. War and chaos are not fun to me either. But banning it will wildly discourage participation. You will make general discussion more similar to feedback and suggestion.

If that's really what you want, you might as well just post there.

Dude but how hard it is to simply say "sure" and change your tone so that this enviroment can become more friendly and enjoyable? If that means the forums will become a better place then so be it, I'm honestly very tired of posting something and getting 5 pages in 1 day because I said a controversial opinion. It's very tiring to back down from a heated discussion because people want drama. I myself think that creating drama is something we humans do naturally and it's hard to NOT do it actually, so let's be smart and police ourselves before the administrators of the forums have to constantly warn us.

Basically let's be civilized before we get censored for crossing the barrier. It's not that hard.

8 hours ago, goatt said:

I appreciate all that. Just a reminder that a lot of toxicity is discovered in the hindsight by their posters. People don't necessarily know they are hurting others as they are doing it. As far as I know, very few people would hurt knowingly hurt others for no reasons. What I mean is, asking people to self-monitor to elimiting toxicity will be largely be uneffective. That's why there is a popular subreddit called r/AITAH, because people don't know. Common sense is subjective and will not be very helpful in self-discipline.

I'm not invalidating your message. But I think the forum has good enough environment and the moderators have done an excellent job. People may still feel a little unsatisfied, and there is definitely room for improvement, as always. But good enough is good enough, that's the bright side of the story.

As someone who usually writes constructive replies, I can tell you my experience. I got more positive reactions when I wrote (what I consider as mildly) tilting replies as experiment. I'm autistic. I like concise technical replies. But I'm in disadvantage in term of interaction because people prefer emotionally provoking (slightly toxic) replies to say the least. That's not my thing. But it's inevitable because (slightly) toxic posts attracts (more) attentions. People may not like it after reading them. But people like to (tend to) read them. That's the game of social media. Negative emotions are as effective as positive emotions, if not more. Many people will be drawn to toxic posts and will post them. That's why I called "entertaiment" instead of pleasure, in my previous reply.

If you hope to clean up the forum a bit more (which is probably also what I would prefer), it may be too clean for other forumites. So I think it's cool as is, for most of us.

Oh I just read this my bad. Good thing!

Edited by Swiyss

I never understand why people fight and argue on these forums. I understand why “I” do it, and that is because certain groups of players feel the game should be one way and their way is the correct way. But I only argue with such people because I have always felt that DST should be flexible.

It shouldn’t be a game targeted at one group or skill level, it shouldn’t have just one way of playing in one type of game mode, it is by all means- A franchise that can cater to multiple demographics of players.

Now what do I mean by that? Well.. has anyone ever played State of Decay 2? Well to be more exact- have you ever played SoD 2 with it’s adjustable difficulty level changes?

See on default mode, vehicles are plentiful, they have a full tank of gas and are in great condition, lootable locations are bursting with resources, etc..

However on a harder difficulty mode- Vehicles are few and hard to find, they’ll be busted down worn out and low or out of gas needing repairs and gas, most buildings will be emptied to simulate other survivors have already been through and looted the area.

This is the kind of differences between difficulty changes that by all means DST could and SHOULD have..

It frustrates me beyond belief when Klei releases a content update and at first it’s truly uncompromising, it’s difficult, it’s frustrating and it’s in Klei & this communities words “over-tuned”

what happens is Klei ends up Nerfing the high heck out of it and then the feature that I enjoyed for being more punishing, is made universally more forgiving across all game modes.

But then when I look in world Gen settings there are toggles for things like choosing how fast or if a resource has a regrowth stage to it at all…

I probably shouldn’t have to explain how this shares the same similarities with State of Decay 2 and how playing on a different game mode setting could and should change the games behavior..

I only fight and argue with this community because they only see things ONE WAY..

But that is not and has never been my mindset, Let the megabasers have their indestructible self repairing building structures or “bug-begone” repellants. 

My only questions to Klei is why should All game modes/difficulty settings have them?

When I look at dst I see a game where (depending on which character you pick) gameplay and how you’ll play changes.

Wortox can not be healed from eating food items, Wigfrid can not eat butterflies for easy healing methods.. Wormwood can’t heal from eating healing foods, only healing items can do that.. etc.

But why is this experience tied exclusively to what character I pick to play as? Maybe I want to for example: Play as Wendy but with Wormwoods downside of only being able to heal using the healing tab of items??

I know most you people skim over my posts and don’t truly read them, but hopefully after I’ve taken the time to type out these long posts.. someone somewhere is reading them and they’ll hopefully with any luck make a difference. :) 

Even if the Devs at Klei won’t listen, I’m sure there’s someone who’ll read this and think to themselves “I’m gonna make a game similar to Dont Starve, but I’m going to make it as flexible and enjoyable to the players as that one crazy forum lunatic who’s name escapes me at the moment kept telling the entire world DS/DST should’ve been!”

• Wavey 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

never understand why people fight and argue on these forums. I understand why “I” do it, and that is because certain groups of players feel the game should be one way and their way is the correct way. But I only argue with such people because I have always felt that DST should be flexible.

It shouldn’t be a game targeted at one group or skill level, it shouldn’t have just one way of playing in one type of game mode, it is by all means- A franchise that can cater to multiple demographics of players.

mike my guy

this is violently hypocritical, i'm not trying to be rude when I say this, but it IS hypocritical to say "I don't understand why people fight and argue, except me, I am correct to fight and argue because I am right about wanting things to be more flexible and cater to multiple demographics, and people who disagree with me are wrong"

Do you understand why this is hypocritical? you aren't inherently right, others opinions have equal weight to yours, even if their opinion is "incorrect"

I already saw the big thread with the back and forth on this topic, and honestly it's an old and boring discussion. my two cents is "I don't want scaling" you can provide 50 arguments on why you want it, but your entire argument is "I want scaling"

and that's fine that you disagree with me, but just know, that's all your doing, disagreeing with me. you're not any more correct than I am, even if your answer is more accommodating, I don't WANT the game to be accommodating.

so when you say THIS:

26 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I only fight and argue with this community because they only see things ONE WAY..

understand that it applies to EVERYONE who argues with you. you only see things from your perspective. you can't see it from mine, and honestly when I argue with you, you never try to understand the other persons point of view.

TLDR: sometimes I am toxic when I argue, but you are toxic too mike. you get too heated when you argue, and you always assume you are correct.

Edited by Copyafriend
  • Like 3

Suddenly, after JoeW's post, everyone wants to appear like they are the most polite person on the forum.

I'm just waiting for a controversial topic to be created to see if they continue like this. :D  :D

• Haha 2
  • Ninja 1
  • Spooky 1

29 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

mike my guy

this is violently hypocritical, i'm not trying to be rude when I say this, but it IS hypocritical to say "I don't understand why people fight and argue, except me, I am correct to fight and argue because I am right about wanting things to be more flexible and cater to multiple demographics, and people who disagree with me are wrong"

Do you understand why this is hypocritical? you aren't inherently right, others opinions have equal weight to yours, even if their opinion is "incorrect"

I already saw the big thread with the back and forth on this topic, and honestly it's an old and boring discussion. my two cents is "I don't want scaling" you can provide 50 arguments on why you want it, but your entire argument is "I want scaling"

and that's fine that you disagree with me, but just know, that's all your doing, disagreeing with me. you're not any more correct than I am, even if your answer is more accommodating, I don't WANT the game to be accommodating.

so when you say THIS:

understand that it applies to EVERYONE who argues with you. you only see things from your perspective. you can't see it from mine, and honestly when I argue with you, you never try to understand the other persons point of view.

TLDR: sometimes I am toxic when I argue, but you are toxic too mike. you get too heated when you argue, and you always assume you are correct.

This is the exact thing I’m talking about though.. you only see things one way.

But now, let me flip the script- Why does it matter to or concern you AT ALL who chooses to play their game with 40% reduced damage toggled on or 40% more damage toggled on? 

It doesn’t concern you and it never has… the only time it WOULD concern you is if your in the hosts world playing under their settings (or join the Klei server playing by those rules idk how that stuff works.)

Why would you care who picks Wolfgang to instantly cut a bosses health points down to half or who picks Wes to drag the fight out for even longer?

Why Would you care at all who chooses to to enable RoG content or play worlds with it disabled?

you don’t, you won’t.. and it doesn’t concern you.

But by not having options for it DOES concern me or the people I’m trying to play with.

• Wavey 1