For those liking the Wilderness game mode

Yes, we exist...

When browsing the server list to search for a public dedicated vanilla wilderness server, there is nothing, or at least nothing that lasts

It bothered me for a while, so I decided to host one! (I've also been hosting an endless server for more than a year now, so don't worry, I plan to keep the wilderness one up too)

A single server ain't a lot, but at least we have it. It is hosted in Western Europe (I'm sorry, americans)

For those who aren't familiar with wilderness:
- Dying is losing your character (aka losing your blueprint recipes, prototypes, map progression, and day count)
- You can't resurrect (forget about your Life Giving Amulets)
This may seem pretty bad at first glance, but there are ways to mitigate most of those, wether it's from gameplay mindset or tangible solutions (but I won't elaborate that here). If you like Endless and want more impactful deaths, give it a try

Anyway, that's it for the anouncement that will concern 0.01% of the players here, good luck!

image.png.1a728fd33e6ccd216476adfc67eb2617.png

Edited by b l a n k
  • Like 5
  • Health 1

Wilderness sucks. No one will play it for the same reason no one plays mediumcore in terraria. Not challenging nor casual. Just obnoxious. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:

Man, wilderness mod was one unique way to play DST back then.. But the introduction of celestial portal killed it.

I agree the celestial portal was (and still is) a mistake. And not just for wilderness

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

I feel like wilderness mode could be repackaged into something more unique, please just hear me out…

Ive been playing several RogueLite/Like games and one of those games will have you go through & exhaust your entire pool of playable characters until you run out of people to play as.

When I used to play Wilderness mode in DST I would force myself to play this way by simply not picking someone who had already died.

But this also means you can’t click the random character button, cause it will all but certainly role someone you’ve already used.

I’d love to be able to tell a story through gameplay of each of the games playable characters and how they lived, and how they died.

I've been playing on a wilderness server for years called Old school wilderness, it's not vanilla because griefing is annoying so there's some QoL mods inside to keep things going. But the threat of death losing certain blueprints and map really makes you play conservatively. Also, it's always shocking to see how people just leave when they die instead of trying again, so there's REAL loot around on the dead which is such a nice touch imo.

Edited by Intrepidpioneer

4 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Wilderness sucks. No one will play it for the same reason no one plays mediumcore in terraria. Not challenging nor casual. Just obnoxious. 

Not if you don't die.

• Like 2
  • Sanity 1

While wilderness is a sort of a challenge I don't like it as a concept cause it doesn't bring in much anything new to the world, but makes it a slight annoyance to keep redoing recipes all over again. Eventually, there will be farms set up for every one of those bosses after all.

But I feel like this mode is more for early-midgame challenge, lategame it won't do much since items won't be lost anyway and can make extra maps in case of death, or intentional death for sake of reviving back up a new.

Come to think of it, unique blueprints are a kind of a sorta bad mechanic for modern DST. While they give a sense of progression you can only get one each per boss.

Either though, pretty cool and thoughtful for you and the few that do enjoy that mode.

5 hours ago, Intrepidpioneer said:

I've been playing on a wilderness server for years called Old school wilderness, it's not vanilla because griefing is annoying so there's some QoL mods inside to keep things going. But the threat of death losing certain blueprints and map really makes you play conservatively. Also, it's always shocking to see how people just leave when they die instead of trying again, so there's REAL loot around on the dead which is such a nice touch imo.

Yes! I saw this one, the ping is a little too high for me unfortunately, and I disagree with some mods used so...

7 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

If you don't die you might as well make world regen instant for actual stakes 

I think there would be ways to leverage death in wilderness. You can't compare terraria and dst when it comes to wilderness and mediumcore. in dst, the items that drop don't disappear on relog. You can't compare it. 

sorry for randomly leaving, i was suddenly not feeling so good anymore, wich resulted in plenty of toilet runs...the details of that you probably dont want to hear, best for me not to play for a while

• Happy Hazard 1
  • Hunger 1
  • Wavey 1

21 minutes ago, Echsrick said:

sorry for randomly leaving, i was suddenly not feeling so good anymore, wich resulted in plenty of toilet runs...the details of that you probably dont want to hear, best for me not to play for a while

Not sure who you're talking to, but I hope you get better!

• Health 1

49 minutes ago, b l a n k said:

Not sure who you're talking to, but I hope you get better!

i was talkin about you and your server, i have joined it while you were in there, it was winter and base was by pig king, i was wortox, and yea, thank you

• Health 1

25 minutes ago, Echsrick said:

i was talkin about you and your server, i have joined it while you were in there, it was winter and base was by pig king, i was wortox, and yea, thank you

Oooh yes I remember the Wortox! Very good choice (if not the best choice) of character for wilderness. Don't hesitate to go to the oasis, there is a base over there that is way safer for you

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, b l a n k said:

Oooh yes I remember the Wortox! Very good choice (if not the best choice) of character for wilderness. Don't hesitate to go to the oasis, there is a base over there that is way safer for you

but not for now, that....toilet runs...sure took its pay

• Wavey 1

7 hours ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

How often does it regenerate?

It doesn't

Unless you pass a vote with the in-game vote feature, or if a new, non-retroactive core map feature is added

Wilderness seems like a good idea, but it doesn't last imo.

The appeals of Wilderness mode to me:

1) Everyone starts in a random location

2) Death has consequence

The problems are:

1) This only matters as much as starting in different places matter.  The feature is quickly dissolved with basic map exploration.  The only thing I'd really do differently is actually make a map station for solo play with a few extra maps.  If I die I'd just read a map and be out nothing.

2) The consequences of death are a bit over-hyped.  You lose recipes, but you probably have the crafts so you don't really lose the benefit, only the ability to craft more.  All res items become useless, imo this isn't so great.  It would be better if the res system were reverted to DS style in stead.  Wear an lga, craft a meat effigy with health penalty, activate touch stone, etc.  No ghosts.

The only wilderness game I had that I felt was a satisfactory experience was in conjunction with an archipelago world-gen mod with caves and wormholes off.  This way we didn't just start in a random place, but also had to boat around to find each other and packing resources with you on the boat could mean a lot considering the length of trip to get back there.  Caves and wormholes needed to be off, or you just use these and the world is unified again and sadly with these off a lot of content is also off.

I wouldn't mind seeing more development into alternative game modes like lights out, wilderness, etc to make them a bit more of an option rather than just a few world-gen tweaks.

1 hour ago, Yuuko said:

1) This only matters as much as starting in different places matter.  The feature is quickly dissolved with basic map exploration.  The only thing I'd really do differently is actually make a map station for solo play with a few extra maps.  If I die I'd just read a map and be out nothing.

Nothing better than picking "random spawn location" and locating the starting portal within two minutes.

• Like 1