Shadow side getting MAD shafted these days

New patch, even MORE new lunar stuff.  Not just new stuff to do, but CC - a super ez boss fight - is made super repeatable.

Meanwhile extra attention was made to harm AFW farming.  AFW is a much more challenging fight compared to CC, has a longer CD between spawns, requires multiple other bosses to be cleared each time, and is getting absolutely shafted in the amount of reward you get for this.

Why no love for shadows?  I'm sick of Wagstaff.  Give Charlie the spotlight!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

I certainly hope the update after this one will be shadow-focused; it seemed rather strange how we technically only got one (1) shadow rift update for this arc (which is nearing a year soon) and even the QoL stuff are fitted into lunar rift updates.

• Big Ups 1

I am sure the next update will be shadow focused. (Maybe even an AFW rework so it is more tolerable as a solo player without cheese? Fingers crossed.) What will come of it, I know not. But I would be surprised if nothing shadow related comes next.

7 minutes ago, Yuuko said:

New patch, even MORE new lunar stuff.  Not just new stuff to do, but CC - a super ez boss fight - is made super repeatable.

I guess CC getting easier is a small bit of a silver lining, since apparently the solution to AFW problem is just "brightshade gear 5head"

• Haha 1

hmm.......let me make something up then.......new set pice with a.....shadow......boss...because of course it has to be a boss and ahm.......he talks in ye olde englisch.......he kinda looks like a......something something wings maybe? yea give him wings............ahm and if you defeat him charlie shows up and does something...then gives you some sort of rose staff kinda thing that does....shoot shadow magic.....yea.....

• GL Happy 1

Majority of content is still shadow sided, all starting content is literally shadow sided. Only difference that planar stuff is mostly lunar sided and themed, making that single imbalance while providing most tools we'd need anyway from both sides.

Still waiting on that shadow bug net lol.

If we ever gonna get the WARBIS armor equivalent for shadows, I do think the rose armor/weapons set could be extra cool. Like having a rose-themed lance that can only be equipped in hand slot (no backpack) and do extra damage due to the thorns. Imagine riding on a beefalo with that and help your beefalo do some damage too!! It certainly fits with the whole medieval/chivalry/monarch stuff Charlie does in the game.

29 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Still waiting on that shadow bug net lol.

So real. At least make it have more uses than the regular bug net, like maybe 50? Even 100 uses. I can't say enough how infuriating it was having to keep making the damn thing every 10 uses. Like sure, silk is cheap but imagine bringing tons of silk, twigs and ropes just for catching moongleams in the moonstorm to farm resources at the Moon Quay.

• Like 1

Its sucks that picking shadow side isnt good. There isnt common lunar aligned enemies compared to shadow aligned.

Shadow side is just decor/brightshade removal

Edited by -Nick-
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anis5240 said:

I certainly hope the update after this one will be shadow-focused

1 hour ago, Evelo said:

I am sure the next update will be shadow focused

Ah, they just mentioned in their stream today the next focus is on ocean content and skill trees.

We might still see some minor shadow stuff, maybe!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Evelo said:

I am sure the next update will be shadow focused. (Maybe even an AFW rework so it is more tolerable as a solo player without cheese? Fingers crossed.) What will come of it, I know not. But I would be surprised if nothing shadow related comes next.

not sure how much of a hot take this is but i actually really like fighting fuelweaver by myself so i don't want klei to touch the fight. 
it is pretty stressful the first few times but jugging the shield and woven shadows is fun for me and the loot locked behind the fight is absolutely good enough to be apart of probably the hardest fight in the game 
wouldn't mind if klei made finding the atrium easier though

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, finn from human said:

the shadow side of things got content for 5 years, even more if you count DS and not just DST.

Um, DS-wise the shadows only got one year of update, starting with the Insanity update in 2013.

Besides, the shadows' side stopped getting big updates after Fuelweaver, which was in 2016 (a.k.a A New Reign arc). The Return of Them arc that focused on lunar stuff started from 2018 if I remember correctly, and ended in 2022. That was 4 years.

Now with the From Beyond arc, we literally got 3 major updates about lunar things, while shadows had only one, which was Terrors Below in last June. Even the shadows' QoL rift stuff was fitted into the lunar rift ones.

So yeah, I'm considering Klei should alternate the updates between lunar and shadow just to keep things decently interesting.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Majority of content is still shadow sided,

5 hours ago, finn from human said:

the shadow side of things got content for 5 years,

Except it isn't really.  We're talking planar, Wag v Charlie.  AFW and what comes after vs CC and what comes after.

A dark sword is not really "shadow."  It is essentially the penultimate vanilla weapon.

We have tons of things resulting from CC, but AFW and shadow rifts gives you basic set and that's it.  1 repeatable trio-mini-boss, and basic gear.  Meanwhile CC drops give infinite light in lanterns, infinite stacks in chests, zombosses each unlock amazing top tier new items, and we get whole push to make CC SUPER spammable like fr gleams and charged glass are derp ez to farm in mass now, none of the lengthy steps to unlock the boss need to be repeated, there is no CD to re-summon.  The only deviation from Wag and lunar has been Wag and junk, which is basically lunar b/c it all comes from zombosses, and scrap was just built into CC fight.  Scrap brought in late game toys too.

Actual shadow *needs* stuff.  idekwtf wag is, and I don't care anymore.  He's been played out.  Where is Charlie???

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I do agree that I want to see more shadow stuff later, it’s important to put into perspective of how many people wanted more lunar items from the prior content arc. The celestial tab lacked a ton and didn’t hold a candle to the flexibility of most of the ancient tab items, which are reliable throughout the game (heck, even post rifts most are perfectly usable). I think giving the lunar side a good chunk of the new items was a good move to satisfy this, at least for now.

I do feel a bit bad the shadow side is gonna need to wait a long while before it gets new items, but I’m pretty confident once those items come that it will have its time in the spotlight once again.

• Like 3

Honestly, I've not seen a single solitary thing that makes me even remotely tempted to activate the post Fuelweaver rifts. Everything about it just seems like a massive annoyance for an utterly miniscule benefit.

"Oh hey! I can use this scythe to cut grass! That way I can add it to the 18 stacks' worth I already have accumulated!"

In a way, it almost feels on-brand for Shadow to be awful. Charlie as the Shadow Queen is an unrepentant, murderous psychopath that has zero interest in helping anyone. of course she wouldn't offer anything worthwhile for helping her.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Anis5240 said:

If we ever gonna get the WARBIS armor equivalent for shadows, I do think the rose armor/weapons set could be extra cool. Like having a rose-themed lance that can only be equipped in hand slot (no backpack) and do extra damage due to the thorns. Imagine riding on a beefalo with that and help your beefalo do some damage too!! It certainly fits with the whole medieval/chivalry/monarch stuff Charlie does in the game.

So real. At least make it have more uses than the regular bug net, like maybe 50? Even 100 uses. I can't say enough how infuriating it was having to keep making the damn thing every 10 uses. Like sure, silk is cheap but imagine bringing tons of silk, twigs and ropes just for catching moongleams in the moonstorm to farm resources at the Moon Quay.

I hope we get a shadow half of host of horrors

10 hours ago, Yuuko said:

Except it isn't really.  We're talking planar, Wag v Charlie.  AFW and what comes after vs CC and what comes after.

A dark sword is not really "shadow."  It is essentially the penultimate vanilla weapon.

We have tons of things resulting from CC, but AFW and shadow rifts gives you basic set and that's it.  1 repeatable trio-mini-boss, and basic gear.  Meanwhile CC drops give infinite light in lanterns, infinite stacks in chests, zombosses each unlock amazing top tier new items, and we get whole push to make CC SUPER spammable like fr gleams and charged glass are derp ez to farm in mass now, none of the lengthy steps to unlock the boss need to be repeated, there is no CD to re-summon.  The only deviation from Wag and lunar has been Wag and junk, which is basically lunar b/c it all comes from zombosses, and scrap was just built into CC fight.  Scrap brought in late game toys too.

Actual shadow *needs* stuff.  idekwtf wag is, and I don't care anymore.  He's been played out.  Where is Charlie???

I wish shadow pieces dropped a unique item for each different one you kill last. Like i usually go into this fight with thule crowns as armor, is my reward really gonna be a dark sword and paper armor? It's not even slightly rewarding unlike the way easier AG which has crazy loot. Yea you get the heart but that's just the quest item. Shadow pieces are exactly on par with CK in terms of loot. 

Spoiler

I guess you also get gears and fuel lmao.

Edited by BalkanCockroach
  • Big Ups 1

37 minutes ago, BalkanCockroach said:

I wish shadow pieces dropped a unique item for each different one you kill last. Like i usually go into this fight with thule crowns as armor, is my reward really gonna be a dark sword and paper armor? It's not even slightly rewarding unlike the way easier AG which has crazy loot. Yea you get the heart but that's just the quest item. Shadow pieces are exactly on par with CK in terms of loot. 

Reveal hidden contents

I guess you also get gears and fuel lmao.

You might even be encouraged to kill the other lvl 3 shadow pieces besides the Rook all the time. 

46 minutes ago, Reecitz said:

You might even be encouraged to kill the other lvl 3 shadow pieces besides the Rook all the time. 

Doesn't mass farming knights still work?  idk, I haven't done it in a year or two lol.  I imagine with BS staff its easier to do this now.

Bishop is more resource intensive unless you are Wortox / Wanda, that would be the real hard one just for how much you have to heal.

Don't say this nonsense. You get much better rewards from fuelweaver compared to CC. Killing fuelweaver resets ruins, which means you can get a lot of green gems, which means you can get green staffs, which means you can deconstruct bone armor, which means you get bone shards, which means you can swap to Wilson transmutate these shards into hound teeth and then use the blowdart gun to easily kill anything and everything with insane planar damage that even penetrates enraged klaus armor. 

• GL Happy 1
  • Potato Cup 1

Just now, Gi-Go said:

Don't say this nonsense. You get much better rewards from fuelweaver compared to CC. Killing fuelweaver resets ruins, which means you can get a lot of green gems, which means you can get green staffs, which means you can deconstruct bone armor.............

You almost had me lol XD