Scaled Furnace 2 in 1

I never really needed a specific item or structure to get rid of things, I'm a hoarder type of player, so I'd rather make a new chest for extra things than try to get rid of them.

Besides... Lureplant trashcans exist and are only inactive during winter. They are fun when eating your stuff and digesting it, work well, look funky in builds, can smack you in time of need. They're cool, man!

Scaled Furnace Destroy option is... okay I guess... I don't mind it, but I'd rather have it burn or cook me some stuff, so I can craft a stack of Healing Salves without using a torch and risk a hazardous fire in my base or refresh my meat/eggs/seeds/kelps before cooking and bundling it up for never (because I store it in chests, right?).

So... Maybe we could divide the Furnace into two shelves? One with slightly less lethal heat?

I think there could be two options in the Furnace:

• top shelf for heating up Thermals, turning logs/boards into charcoal and burnables into ash and cooking up food with Heat button
  • bottom shelf for destroying items in Dragonfly Fire with Destroy button

LazyFurnace.png.393b3a21b9f0709924bd33a5188c9592.png

Sincerely, hoarder.

PS
Scaled Furnace could also incubate Lavae Eggs and be a place to store hatched Extra-Adorable Lavaes by putting there Lavae Teeth (without needing to bundle them each time).

Edit:
So I also suggested that I'm even up for a reflex minigame to take food out before animation finishes so the food isn't fully destroyed but only cooked.

Edited by Sapientis
Heat me up my little Furnace, plz
  • Like 10
  • GL Happy 1
  • Potato Cup 1

I think this is cool but I'd have it be at least a distinct upgrade to the Scaled Furnace (salad furnace is now real) !

The Dragonfly is a seriously good boss to pay a visit to early as it’s giving handfuls of nice new crafts and materials, the furnace by itself already accomplishes perma heating and cooking wherever we fancy. It’s neat and it now works as an effective trash can even if like you I’m a 'fancy Lureplant garden' enjoyer. But I wouldn’t see it to become the base Mary Sue of everything we can ask for so quickly.

General base semi-automations and upgrades tend to come by steps, so to not have cooking to move to 3.0 immediately I think an intermediate would be more fair. I wouldn’t push it as far as another Lunar Mutation Boss incredibly late craft… but perhaps another scrap based upgrade to add a BBQ shelf on it requiring bonus scales (or Red Moonlens finally getting an use ?), idk, but I wanted to comment my thoughts :) 

• Sanity 1

I don't agree with this. It's called scale FURNACE, not scale OVEN. I would rather have a brand new structure for batch cooking than just piling more and more function onto a single structure.

• Like 3
  • Sanity 1

29 minutes ago, somethin said:

I don't agree with this. It's called scale FURNACE, not scale OVEN. I would rather have a brand new structure for batch cooking than just piling more and more function onto a single structure.

I don't understand why some people cling on to names like this. This structure is heavily utilized for cooking ingredients even though its name is not oven. Just like how an astral detector can be utilized as a light source after the quest, or how an eyebrella isn't solely used for blocking rain but can serve other purposes, like the shadow scythe being used as a weapon, and the brightshade helm being utilized not just as armor, I believe the functionality of a specific item shouldn't be limited to its name. Moreover, the furnace is also listed in the dictionary as being used as a boiler.

• Like 9
  • Sanity 1

40 minutes ago, Dreadstone said:

I don't understand why some people cling on to names like this. This structure is heavily utilized for cooking ingredients even though its name is not oven. Just like how an astral detector can be utilized as a light source after the quest, or how an eyebrella isn't solely used for blocking rain but can serve other purposes, like the shadow scythe being used as a weapon, and the brightshade helm being utilized not just as armor, I believe the functionality of a specific item shouldn't be limited to its name. Moreover, the furnace is also listed in the dictionary as being used as a boiler.

It's not about the name. It's literally about piling on a structure that's already useful to begin with. Dragonfly is one of the easiest raid boss in the game that give tons of useful drops already and I would rather have this batch cook feature on another structure that drop from other stuff like, say, crab king whose drop are arguably the worst in the game (ignoring altar, since it's a one time thing and there's no incentive to fight him again unless you're farming for shells... I guess.)

• Sanity 1

1 hour ago, somethin said:

I don't agree with this. It's called scale FURNACE, not scale OVEN.

3 minutes ago, somethin said:

It's not about the name.

Can you not remember your comment, even though it's written down?

• Haha 1
  • Happy Hazard 1
  • Ninja 1
  • Potato Cup 1

4 hours ago, Dreadstone said:

Moreover, the furnace is also listed in the dictionary as being used as a boiler.

Show us some dishes you cooked in a boiler

Furnance is early game item with too many uses already. I'll be fine with it only if we get moon dragonlfy which drops new furnance/upgrade for old furnance which allows batch cooking and maybe something else. If destroying items is a nice QOL, batch cooking is pretty big reward for doing what we already doing every game

warly after hearing you got batch cooking on day 3 

Spoiler

94c482d9776c8667e8fd99d981dea5b86da3654c

• Shopcat 1

38 minutes ago, landromat said:

Warly benefits more from batch cooking than any other character. he could refresh the spoilage of a lot of ingredients he cooks with in order to make the final product more fresh than what he would have gotten meandering with his "half cooked" non unique perk. 

Besides, Warly is made and broken by being a switch character. Very rarely do players stay as Warly and having rapid fire cooking isn't something that will encourage people to stay as him. The perk is a literal "Who cares?" bonus

Warly weeps for how he functions as a character as a whole. Not because he loses a silly perk. 

• Like 2
  • Sanity 1

24 minutes ago, chirsg said:

Warly benefits more from batch cooking than any other character. he could refresh the spoilage of a lot of ingredients he cooks with in order to make the final product more fresh than what he would have gotten meandering with his "half cooked" non unique perk. 

Besides, Warly is made and broken by being a switch character. Very rarely do players stay as Warly and having rapid fire cooking isn't something that will encourage people to stay as him. The perk is a literal "Who cares?" bonus

Warly weeps for how he functions as a character as a whole. Not because he loses a silly perk. 

do you know he can cook quick right?

• Shopcat 3

39 minutes ago, landromat said:

do you know he can cook quick right?

I know that warly can cook quick, willow can cook quick and walter can cook quick. I am the knower.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chirsg said:

I know that warly can cook quick, willow can cook quick and walter can cook quick. I am the knower.

good so you know everything you said makes no sense

• Haha 1
  • Shopcat 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

Yeah I suppose batch cooking is fair given how inconvenient it is waiting for all of it to be done and this is a dragonfly structure, I like the egg suggestions it makes sense and is quite fun.

8 hours ago, somethin said:

You can already cook on scaled furnaces, there is no point nitpicking the name. Also klei has stated before they do not like too many stations existing. Besides, batch cooking is just a convenient thing.

3 hours ago, landromat said:

Furnance is early game item

In what world is dragonfly an early game boss? Early bosses are like spider queen, tree guards, deerclops and such.

• Like 3
  • Health 1

5 hours ago, landromat said:

Its such a terrible argument to use that you can kill Dragonfly by day 3 as a reason why Scaled Furnace shouldn't get batch cooking/heating up option.

How many players can actually kill dragonfly by day 3? Also if you do kill Dragonfly that early it means you invested time into it and will be behind in anything else you decide to do after.

This is a sandbox game and I can have ruins gear by day 6 or so, should ruins gear be nerfed? 

You can prioritize what you want to do and experienced players will always have a big advantage and will be able to do things that seem impossible. After a newer player sees CC questline and beats him for the first time would it take 300-500 days? experienced players are doing it in under 100 regularly.

Edited by 00petar00
  • Like 5
  • Sanity 1

5 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

Its such a terrible argument to use that you can kill Dragonfly by day 3 as a reason why Scaled Furnace shouldn't get batch cooking/heating up option.

How many players can actually kill dragonfly by day 3? Also if you do kill Dragonfly that early it means you invested time into it and will be behind in anything else you decide to do after.

This is a sandbox game and I can have ruins gear by day 6 or so, should ruins gear be nerfed? 

You can prioritize what you want to do and experienced players will always have a big advantage and will be able to do things that seem impossible. After a newer player sees CC questline and beats him for the first time would it take 300-500 days? experienced players are doing it in under 100 regularly.

If you can't do something you do not deserve a reward. Skill issue is not a reason to give everyone free candies

2 hours ago, CuteC said:

In what world is dragonfly an early game boss? Early bosses are like spider queen, tree guards, deerclops and such.

she just stays there from day one. You don't have to wait or summon her. Just go and kill. Of course not everyone can kill her early bur everyone can learn how to do it

• Shopcat 2

33 minutes ago, landromat said:

If you can't do something you do not deserve a reward. Skill issue is not a reason to give everyone free candies

Majority of the players are casuals that can't even survive the first year without dying, game isn't balanced so that only experienced players can enjoy it.

There is no specific path you have to take when you start playing on a new world, you have to decide what you want to do in the first autumn because the seasons after require more attention.

I don't think that most players I know would want want to invest the precious early days into dragonfly fight, batch cooking would save time but it isn't proportional in value you can get compared to others things you can do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, landromat said:

she just stays there from day one. You don't have to wait or summon her. Just go and kill. Of course not everyone can kill her early bur everyone can learn how to do it

I think this guy seems to want to boast about how skilled he is in this game. He doesn't consider game balance or newbies at all. Only stick to his own arguments. You've been posting comments like this on every forum on this topic, so I won't respond to your comments on this topic anymore. How many newbies do you think can kill Dragonfly on the third day? Only those who have been playing this game for a long time know about this and take action. Not all newbies play this game by looking at strategies. That makes this game boring in a short amount of time. Klei also knows this, and that's why they didn't put a tutorial in this game.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Dreadstone said:

I think this guy seems to want to boast about how skilled he is in this game. He doesn't consider game balance or newbies at all. Only stick to his own arguments. You've been posting comments like this on every forum on this topic, so I won't respond to your comments on this topic anymore. How many newbies do you think can kill Dragonfly on the third day? Only those who have been playing this game for a long time know about this and take action. Not all newbies play this game by looking at strategies. That makes this game boring in a short amount of time. Klei also knows this, and that's why they didn't put a tutorial in this game.

yeah i"m pretty tired of noobs flooding these forums trying to make this game as casual as possible. All i see is suggestions about how to make game easier so all lazy gamers don't have to move a finger to get everything they want.

I am here for uncompromising survival experience and i want more challenges and less noobs trying to ruin the game

26 minutes ago, Dreadstone said:

He doesn't consider game balance or newbies at all.

Why balance game around newbies if you can always get good?

27 minutes ago, Dreadstone said:

that's why they didn't put a tutorial in this game.

They literally put scrap book and cooking book in the game so gamers don't have to check wiki every minute

• Happy Hazard 1
  • Shopcat 2

1 hour ago, landromat said:

yeah i"m pretty tired of noobs flooding these forums trying to make this game as casual as possible. All i see is suggestions about how to make game easier so all lazy gamers don't have to move a finger to get everything they want.

I am here for uncompromising survival experience and i want more challenges and less noobs trying to ruin the game

Why balance game around newbies if you can always get good?

They literally put scrap book and cooking book in the game so gamers don't have to check wiki every minute

Who says it's only focused on beginners? We keep mentioning game balances, but you're just closing your eyes and ears, insisting solely on your own thoughts. People like you are the very culprits who ruin games. Yes, now I understand your thoughts exactly. I won't respond anymore. It's worthless.

Attracting new player and balancing games are crucial for maintaining the game, with skill trees being a prime example. Skill trees effectively lower the entry barrier and capture new players. Thus, despite differing opinions on skill trees, I view them favorably for their role in attracting newbies. On the other hand, there are content patches like endgame updates for long-term players. I am deeply impressed by Klei's patches that take into account both new and long-standing users. Anyway, please do not undermine the overall balance of the game, and do not disregard new players' influxes.

Edited by Dreadstone
  • Like 3
  • GL Happy 1

6 hours ago, landromat said:

I didn't know convenience was making the game easy.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, ADM said:

I think this is cool but I'd have it be at least a distinct upgrade to the Scaled Furnace (salad furnace is now real) !

Salad Furnace could be a transformation of Scaled Furnace by attempting to Destroy a Saladmander which would make it inhabit the Furnace and take some heat so fire wouldn't be so lethal and we could fianlly cook our food and burn some wood into charcoal. That would be fun and very much DST-esque.

20 hours ago, ADM said:

The Dragonfly is a seriously good boss to pay a visit to early as it’s giving handfuls of nice new crafts and materials, the furnace by itself already accomplishes perma heating and cooking wherever we fancy. It’s neat and it now works as an effective trash can even if like you I’m a 'fancy Lureplant garden' enjoyer. But I wouldn’t see it to become the base Mary Sue of everything we can ask for so quickly.

General base semi-automations and upgrades tend to come by steps, so to not have cooking to move to 3.0 immediately I think an intermediate would be more fair. I wouldn’t push it as far as another Lunar Mutation Boss incredibly late craft… but perhaps another scrap based upgrade to add a BBQ shelf on it requiring bonus scales (or Red Moonlens finally getting an use ?), idk, but I wanted to comment my thoughts :) 

Yea, I hear you about DFLy having a lot in her loot already, I personaly wouldn't mind her losing some ruins gems, I never remember to bring them into caves anyway, so they just pile up in my gem chest.

She was kind of given a lot of free drops (compared to singleplayer) because she was transformed into a raidboss with 30k hp, but do I know about so many good crafts? Scalemail is expensive, pretty weak and only useful in some niche fire farms by Willow cosplayers, Scaled Chests are also quite expensive early on and are just glorified chests that don't burn and cost extra; gems... well, there are better - cheaper and faster ways to get gems. Graves are far more reliable to get a couple of red and blue and ruins are abundant in all of them, so why bother with 30k hp raidboss? Plus if you rush ruins you won't need Furnace as you have Starcaller Staves for light and heat.

Besides, destroying items is more of a nod to unlittering bases. Most of the items we can now destroy would just lie somewhere, is that any powerful perk to have in base? A trashcan? Plus I think you (all of you here) seem to overvalue batch cooking. It only saves some time of doing a tedious job. If someone suggested a Turf-Raiser Helm being added to Antlion loot y'all would loose it, yet it has been added to a 6k hp seasonal boss, that you can blow up with 30 gunpowder (if anyone struggled in the first place), which already had a teleportation net in its loot, for a price of an egg per desert stone (as it can teleport you to a touched Lazy Deserter from anywhere on the map).
I feel like cooking stacks of meat/eggs/seeds is on similar level of convenience (I actually consider it far less useful tbh, but a really nice thing to have).

It's also not like we're talking "OMG, he want's to cook 400 eggs in 10 seconds, I'm calling the police", but more like "I have 15 meat that's about to spoil, good thing I can cook it all at once using this fancy 30k hp raid boss drop instead of clicking on it mindlessly for 15 seconds or just wait for Action Queue to do it for me".

It's just convenience.

And to be fair, I don't say it has to be a Scaled Furnace thing or Klei bad, I just want batch cooking implemented anyhow and for any price. I just consider it too good of an idea to be just a mod. Plus I really don't need a trashcan...

Spoiler

image.png.f2a3aee16909f15ed7bee45f1e26e4b2.png

Edited by Sapientis
guacamole
  • Like 2