[Poll] Would you like Klei to redo some character downsides?

Would you like Klei to redo some character downsides?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Klei to redo some character downsides to be more detrimental/impactful?

• Yes
    • No
    • No Opinion

14 hours ago, grm9 said:

changing characters won't fix that and there's still nothing to do even before 1st summer starts usually 

Actually it would if each character gave you a different experience via downsides that's a new way to experience the game for each character it's a experience you can't really get with upsides or optional content.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Actually it would if each character gave you a different experience via downsides that's a new way to experience the game for each character it's a experience you can't really get with upsides or optional content

that still wouldn't make you play for more time in a world and upsides already do that, maxwell's rework added BQ, toadstool, dfly etc. strats, wicker rework added fish book, bee book and crafting book which are useful for a lot of stuff, e.g. crabby hermit's questline, crab king, skipping prestihatitator and shadow manip etc., wormwood skill tree added more reasons to use bramble husk, faster to get lightbugs, a reason to use brightshade armor etc., wolfgang rework added a way to more consistently do shadow pieces before winter etc., woodie skill tree added a way to rush werepig much faster, more reasons to use moose, new BQ and FW strats etc.

Edited by grm9
  • Like 1

This is just my personal taste but I don't like being limited, it is acceptable if I can overcome the downside though. The reason I am against this is because not every downside is like Wormwood's and I really dislike downsides that are permanent problem tied to the character that you can't overcome.

Especially annoying ones are Wanda's passive aging (losing health over time), Warly's 20% faster hunger drain and food remembering (getting less value from eating the same type of food), Wortox food giving only half the value, Winona's hunger drain on crafting, Wurt unable to trade with pig king and Wendy 0.75 damage modifier so you are tied to taming a beefalo that may not always be the meta like it currently is. 

Wormwood's downside is meaningful but at some point you will be able to get as many jelly beans as you need for all the healing required.

Also I don't want to see a third round of character refreshes or rebalance after they get a really impactful downside that may be quite annoying and players complain, it would be a mess.

I would've preferred If there were no skill trees even though I do like them as it gives variety to players picking the same character and buff to counter the post rift content but it is taking developer time that can be used on adding more content to the world that you can interact as anyone.

Edited by 00petar00

56 minutes ago, grm9 said:

that still wouldn't make you play for more time in a world and upsides already do that, maxwell's rework added BQ, toadstool, dfly etc. strats, wicker rework added fish book, bee book and crafting book which are useful for a lot of stuff, e.g. crabby hermit's tasks, crab king, skipping prestihatitator and shadow manip etc., wormwood skill tree added more reasons to use bramble husk, faster to get lightbugs, a reason to use brightshade armor etc., wolfgang rework added a way to more consistently do shadow pieces before winter etc., woodie skill tree added a way to rush werepig much faster, more reasons to use moose, new BQ and FW strats etc.

For the most part the new newer skill additions focus on trivalizing content or dumbing down gameplay that's not unique or interesting it's fun to be powerful yeah but that doesn't lead to interesting experiences and even hinders them in team settings. 

On a harder difficulty level I would love to see Wendy lose a portion of her health core each time Abigail dies, (parting with her once broke her heart, each additional parting breaks it a little more..) i would ALSO re-instate the bloom on her flower cooldown.

Results: A Wendy who is far more cautious and protective over using Abby than what we got right now.

But only on a harder difficulty, because Klei seems to want characters enjoyable for all players, without the downsides & Wendy is a top pick.

• Thanks 1
  • Sanity 1
  • Wavey 1

15 hours ago, Q42 said:

You can kill all bosses and exhaust rift content by day 55? Also, a large part of sandbox games is making your own fun, i.e setting goals for yourself and doing interesting things for fun instead of profit. I feel like this is an aspect of the game a lot of people miss out on; Don't Starve was never a linear boss rush simulator. Yeah, me and others like to play it like that sometimes but at its core its a sandbox game. If it's looked at as a pure boss rush experience, there will always be an issue of running out of things to do because you'll eventually reach the end.

So true. I spend most of my time farming and fishing because I just enjoy doing it even though I play alone and don't need it for any reason.

Didn’t Klei already make Wickerbottom gets even less benefit from spoiled food and more shadow creatures from books, WX even more vulnerable when wet, and Wolfgang higher sanity drain?

I think the downsides are good enough at least for now. 

• Like 1

Weber should lose a small but noticeable amount of sanity, when in range of befriended mobs dying(or pacifically spiders but I brought it out because I think the death of non-spider friends would have the same effect on Webber canonically)

Yes, every character is becoming better yet the drawbacks stay insignificant maybe slightly buffed but still so insignificant. Yes DS downsides were insignificant and so are DST downsides even though they shouldn't be.

On 3/20/2024 at 5:20 AM, Fatkitty said:

Always the same people saying the same things here...

X is broken, so Y can fix it.

Next thread says Y is broken so doing X will fix it. 

Thank Klei for playing cat and mouse with character updates (the changes they did for wormwood in this update tho are amazing)

I feel downsides are just ways to force the player into making alternative playstyles and explore different types of the game's mechanics. Examples are like how wickerbottom cannot sleep; i feel its less to be a downside, and more to say, "here are tools that require sanity, if you want to use them, find a way without the most reliable/easiest form of sanity gain: sleep". Or Wigfried only being able to eat meat; Meat meaning you NEED to kill/ need to fight.

These downsides are less about having a drawback to playing a character, but rather a push to play a different playstyles.

That being said, i feel some characters dont have a lot more variety than, "you dont have beard hair easily available for winter and easy meat effigys" and instead, you have something else. I would feel better if there was more punishment to the player for not utilizing the different tools constantly.

Edited by Curly Bill

Something that makes sense lore wise for Maxwell, uh... smoking?

Maybe he needs to keep respect from the shadows.

On 3/15/2024 at 3:49 AM, InkArts said:

Wortox loses sanity for killing mobs by multiplying their innocence by 5

Does it make sense for characters to not receive sanity from prototyping/making character specific items?

Wortox already has the most impactful downside in the franchise he does not need anything.

On 3/15/2024 at 6:48 AM, Cheggf said:

Skill trees could have been an actually good addition to the game if there was a variety of options. Small buffs with no catch, bigger buffs with a drawback, there could even be some things that are just a drawback with no upside so you can make the character harder if you want to. But instead they just made skill trees a bunch of direct upgrade things with no drawback, most of them are extremely nonexistent like "number is now bigger", and you don't even need to unlock the upgrades on a per-world basis since you just start with everything. It's no surprise that most people have either exactly identical or at least very similar skill trees, everybody's just taking the best stuff since there's no alternative options which are interesting.

All the skills build towards one playstyle mostly, which kind of reduces the main selling point if adding new playstyles to a character.