Allow us to upgrade Sunken Chests instead of normal chests.

Allow us to upgrade Sunken Chests instead of normal chests. I think a health balance would be give only one slot to that instead of more, we don't need multiple infinite slots because only some items need infinity storage.

Edit: As we have 9 slots with infinity space there is no need for place the same item in 2 or more slots, so we will let 8 slots empty our will use them to other items. Everyone that uses mini signs will use the chest for one item or will have to place 9 mini signs in front of the chest, what would be ugly. I think a health balance would be just one infinity slot pear chest.

image.png.10a8c474806095f42d4fed24ac24eb6e.png

Unlockable Sunken Chest Mod give us a example of who it could work:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2400387360&searchtext=sunken

It would be a infinity storage that we can move around and drop in the water. 

Thank you Klei =)

Edited by Habakkuk
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

I'm all for making them usable but I don't see a reason to do it for them instead of the standard one. These have a single appearance, and collisions, this would be a colossal downgrade aside of the amount of slots you suggest, which hardly matters : (

• Like 10

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ADM said:

I'm all for making them usable but I don't see a reason to do it for them instead of the standard one. These have a single appearance, and collisions, this would be a colossal downgrade aside of the amount of slots you suggest, which hardly matters : (

I don't see the need for more slots.

One chest to 9 different items would make our chest zones so small that will lose the fun of build those.

And it would be a organization mess, just imagine the amount of mini signs we will place in front of one chest. A good chest zone must be practical, it means that people should look at that and know where things are by sight. And of course it is not beautiful to place 9 mini signs in front of a chest because we have 9 different items inside of that.

Edited by Habakkuk

Sunken chest should be a portable regular chest, maybe with more slots than a krampus sack so it will make sense to use them to move huge ammounts of materials

11 minutes ago, Habakkuk said:

One chest to 9 different items would make our chest zones so small that will lose the fun of build those.

And that's... kind of what I look forward. The old fashion will still exist and remains a necessity before moving to the upgrade, and gosh at that cost it better be effectively.

6 minutes ago, Habakkuk said:

And it would be a organization mess, just imagine the amount of mini signs we will place in front of one chest. A good chest zone must be practical, it means that people should look at that and know where things are by sight. And of course it is not beautiful to place 9 mini signs in front of a chest because we have 9 different items inside of that.

I can only conclude from this that you're very unorganized, sorry. I wouldn't want at all to have to deal with the inconveniences of such sunken chests because you stick to some minisign rules... nobody should do that.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Habakkuk said:

I have most of my chest without minisings because, if you are organized,  you can remember where is everything.  Now it will be even easier because you can make chest for basic materials, other for minerals, other for mob lot, etc so this complain is really stretch to make you look be right

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ADM said:

I can only conclude from this that you're very unorganized, sorry. I wouldn't want at all to have to deal with the inconveniences of such sunken chests because you stick to some minisign rules... nobody should do that.

DST is a multiplayer not a singleplayer. Organize the base to multiple people demands easy visualization of where the loot is. Tell people to memorize where is the loot is horrible. And place 9 mini signs in front of one chest is ugly. 

8 minutes ago, Habakkuk said:

DST is a multiplayer not a singleplayer. Organize the base to multiple people demands easy visualization of where the loot is. Tell people to memorize where is the loot is horrible. And place 9 mini signs in front of one chest is ugly. 

Why do you need 9 minisigns? Don't you organise stuff by general category? Like wood stuff, minerals and so on?

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, arubaro said:

I have most of my chest without minisings because, if you are organized,  you can remember where is everything.  Now it will be even easier because you can make chest for basic materials, other for minerals, other for mob lot, etc so this complain is really stretch to make you look be right

Are you really saying that use mini signs is wrong? hahaha
Mini sigs are part of the game and most players use it. I am proposing a balance between the number of slots and the mini signs meta. 
Organization is necessary in a multiplayer game.
I will edit this post to explain why it is necessary, I think it was not clear. 

1 minute ago, Habakkuk said:

Are you really saying that use mini signs is wrong? hahaha
Mini sigs are part of the game and most players use it. I am proposing a balance between the number of slots and the mini signs meta. 
Organization is necessary in a multiplayer game.
I will edit this post to explain why it is necessary, I think it was not clear. 

Tell me where im saying that

2 minutes ago, Habakkuk said:

I am proposing a balance between the number of slots and the mini signs meta. 

You're proposing less slots because you can't tell what's in a chest without an image on it, I don't have this problem so you gotta admit this is a huge drawback.

I exclusively play multiplayer and none of my friends had that much of a problem to figure the chest with a poop sign on it near the farm has also guano it in.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, ADM said:

You're proposing less slots because you can't tell what's in a chest without an image on it, I don't have this problem so you gotta admit this is a huge drawback.

I exclusively play multiplayer and none of my friends had that much of a problem to figure the chest with a poop sign on it near the farm has also guano it in.

Good for you. And please read the edit, I  give a better explanation there.

2 minutes ago, Habakkuk said:

Good for you. And please read the edit, I  give a better explanation there.

You've just made it worse. You could just not use the remaining slots instead of suggesting to remove them from everyone else. This is terrible.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Habakkuk said:

And place 9 mini signs in front of one chest is ugly

then place 1 normal sign that says e.g. "ruins loot", "different rocks", "gems" etc. if image of thulecite, rocks, opal etc. isn't clear enough?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, grm9 said:

then place 1 normal sign that says e.g. "ruins loot", "different rocks", "gems" etc. if image of thulecite, rocks, opal etc. isn't clear enough?

It would be so ugly in a big base. 

7 minutes ago, ADM said:

You've just made it worse. You could just not use the remaining slots instead of suggesting to remove them from everyone else. This is terrible.

What if, the small chest upgrade and the sunken chest have only one slot, and the dragonfly chest upgrade that is coming has the 9 slots?  Everyone can agree with that? :wilson_lightbulb:

Let's be propositive people.:wilson_love:

Edited by Habakkuk

It would be so ugly in a big base

then you can have as many of these chests as you want and only use 1 slot, leaving the rest empty

It would be so ugly in a big base. 

What if, the small chest upgrade and the sunken chest have only one slot, and the dragonfly chest upgrade that is coming has the 9 slots?  Everyone can agree with that? :wilson_lightbulb:

why nerf a ground downgrade

Edited by grm9

I remember I once went with sorting via color (purple chest - purple items, red chest - red items), since everybody sorts more like "plants, rocks, gems" it was confusing on beginning, but later people kinda understood the rules and followed it the way I set it. So I think there is no trouble to have one chest for mutiple items and everybody can get used to that - and placing 1 chest and 3 signs is still cheaper than 3 chests and 3 signs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Habakkuk said:

Allow us to upgrade Sunken Chests instead of normal chests. I think a health balance would be give only one slot to that instead of more, we don't need multiple infinite slots because only some items need infinity storage.

Edit: As we have 9 slots with infinity space there is no need for place the same item in 2 or more slots, so we will let 8 slots empty our will use them to other items. Everyone that uses mini signs will use the chest for one item or will have to place 9 mini signs in front of the chest, what would be ugly. I think a health balance would be just one infinity slot pear chest.

I don’t really see that issue. Instead of using 9 minisigns for a chest, use 1 sign as a base and categorize on that. Since I’m redoing my chest area, this is what I’m thinking about so far:

- cut grass minisign (stores basic “harvestables”, such as grass, twigs, cut reeds, etc.)

-boards minisign (stores refined goods, such as boards, cut stone, papyrus, etc.)

-scrap minisign (stores “mechanical” components, such as gears, electric doodads, scrap, etc.)

-Hounds teeth minisign (stores mob drops, such as teeth, silk, spider glands, broken shells, etc)

-blue gem minisign (for storing all 7 types of gems)

-deerclops eye minisign (for storing boss drops, such as shroom skin, scales, eyes, bearger fur, etc.)

-black/down feather minisign (for storing every type of feather)

It will probably take some time to get used to get used to this, but I don’t think it would take a long amount of time to get used to, either.

Also, the whole reason I imagine chests got it is because they have the most skins by a significant amount. They bave roughly a dozen skins, compared to the scaled chest’s 2. Keep in mind each elasticspacer takes an enlightened shard, too. These are not cheap to use, so I see it having 9 slots for the upgrade is fair.

• Like 3

Chest organization in the wake of tall chests is something being discussed on platforms outside of the forums for personal benefit. 9 minisigns is a very cumbersome solution and I will try not to use them to mark tall chests. 

I want to try to use statues to associate content with what's being represented. For example

Toadstool statue
Logs, boards, manure
Bone shards, shroom skins, 4 open slots if I think of anything to associate with toad

Deerclops statue
Eyeballs, twigs, bone shards, 
Pig skin (As a personal identifier as I associate deerclops with breaking pig houses) perhaps tentacle spots,

For deerclops, maybe even anything that you require for waterproofing in spring could be stored in a chest associated with deerclops.

It's about creativity at this point. Some parts of the game, you must define yourself and you can't have your hand held because there's a hiccup in the status quo, such as the role of minisigns and how they play a part, or have been "Replaced" in some certain scenarios. Minisigns will still play a VERY important role, since you still need them to mark ingredients and foods stored in bundle wraps.

THey're not as obsolete as you think, and this reply is why I disagree with any notion of tall chests being phased out in any way.

4 hours ago, Habakkuk said:

image.png.10a8c474806095f42d4fed24ac24eb6e.png

Unlockable Sunken Chest Mod give us a example of who it could work:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2400387360&searchtext=sunken

It would be a infinity storage that we can move around and drop in the water. 

Thank you Klei =)

This is so absurd and weird though. 

2 hours ago, Habakkuk said:

I disagree nothing was really wrong with the new chests in the first place.

I use chest skins instead of Mini Signs. So I put animal drop into this monster-like chest, gems into the red terraria chest, stuff for magic into the violet chest etc. Could need a feather-themed skin, a spiky skin and a stony skin (I currently use the white chest for stone, flint, cut stone, marble and nitre).